.380 ACP: is it good enough or no? - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 ACP: is it good enough or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I use a 500 SW because I'm a man, everyone comes up short, remember usually sd incidences with the 500 SW take one shot 100% of the time.
    You better hope it does since it takes about a minute and a half to get back on target! I fired one, and the recoil was impressive. As far as CC though, I think a couple of 500 rounds weigh as much as my LCP fully loaded...
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    You better hope it does since it takes about a minute and a half to get back on target! I fired one, and the recoil was impressive. As far as CC though, I think a couple of 500 rounds weigh as much as my LCP fully loaded...
    Oh, it's not that bad! I grow up shooting a 44 mag S&W 29 and latter a Desert Eagle 44 mag. It does kick harder but is almost concealable, if your very big!
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

4. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    All I'm going to say to that is...research a little further before posting. I'll give you a hint: he used a Kel Tec PF-9. Look up the caliber of that gun (that is if the "9" in "PF-9" doesn't give it away).
    Am I going crazy or was his comment just modded out for some reason?

5. Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Epic...

/Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Am I going crazy or was his comment just modded out for some reason?
    he either yanked it or the mods got of it or him

7. Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    he either yanked it or the mods got of it or him
    I didn't think we could delete our own comments...only modify them.

After having followed this thread I feel the need to add 2 cents of logic, at least I think it to be logical.
    ~
    If your shot is capable of a through and through wound, knowing that the exit wound will be larger than the entry wound and the wound track will act as a channel to allow blood to escape (with 2 points of exit) the traumatized area. Would it not be logical to think that this type of wound will bleed out quicker, be more painful and cause the person to succumb to their wounds quicker, reducing the threat quicker.
    ~
    There is just so much that is involved and this is not the only factor that needs to be considered, but the logic speaks for itself. The more damage your shot inflicts the quicker the threat is overcome. For that reason my EDC is a 38 Super or 40S&W, both have solid ballistic parameters for self defense usage.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    After having followed this thread I feel the need to add 2 cents of logic, at least I think it to be logical.
    ~
    If your shot is capable of a through and through wound, knowing that the exit wound will be larger than the entry wound and the wound track will act as a channel to allow blood to escape (with 2 points of exit) the traumatized area. Would it not be logical to think that this type of wound will bleed out quicker, be more painful and cause the person to succumb to their wounds quicker, reducing the threat quicker.
    ~
    There is just so much that is involved and this is not the only factor that needs to be considered, but the logic speaks for itself. The more damage your shot inflicts the quicker the threat is overcome. For that reason my EDC is a 38 Super or 40S&W, both have solid ballistic parameters for self defense usage.
    I believe the thought process of through and through is the bullet has more energy that could of been dumped into the body, which instead is being used as motion through the air.

The body does a good job shunting blood and sealing holes...

Fastest way to stop someone is cns hits. Then it's blood loss. Bullet doesn't need to pass through...it just needs to go deep enough to hit one of those spots.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any scientists with forensic knowledge feel free to chime in. Whether it is a clean hole through-and-through that bleeds, or an organ so damaged by blunt force trauma and bullet expansion and fragmentation, the stopping power of a bullet is ultimately dependent how each victim (and what they might be under the influence of) responds to an injury.
    -
    That said, When it comes down to daily 24/7 carry, some of it is based on the laws in your state, some of it is based on your areas perceived threat level, and some of it is based on what you can afford. In the end, it is more important that you carry.
    -
    If you are a businessman in a big city and can't go about your day wearing a .45, should you do without?
    -
    People have successfully defended themselves with a .22.
    Cheap guns are good enough by Massad Ayoob
    -
    Anyone that wants to volunteer to stand in front of my .380 or my 9mm, step up to the plate.
    Chief

Here's a study done on actual shootings--good guys, bad guys both. While some calibers are not represented with very large samples, you can reach a good enough conclusion, I think. An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

The short version was that 2-3 HITS were necessary on the average with any caliber. There were more instances of a one-hit stop with the larger rounds and more instances of the person not being stopped at all in the smaller calibers. Rifles and shotguns were substantially better than any handgun. I just looked at this again, and the .380acp didn't fare badly compared to the 9mm, although you could argue that the smaller sample size of .380 shootings makes the results less conclusive.

In any case, I would not consider carrying FMJ for self defense. Maybe EFMJ like Federal Guard Dog, but never FMJ. One reason is risk of through and through and then hitting someone/something else. Also with a smaller round, the expansion becomes all the more valuable. I carry .45ACP...14 of 'em in a Springfield Armory XDM45 4.5". I used to carry the all time favorite carry gun, the Glock 19, and I would not hesitate to recommend it. Glock doesn't import .380's for civilians, though. Ruger's new LC380 looks pretty good.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast