.380 ACP: is it good enough or no? - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 ACP: is it good enough or no?

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Any scientists with forensic knowledge feel free to chime in. Whether it is a clean hole through-and-through that bleeds, or an organ so damaged by blunt force trauma and bullet expansion and fragmentation, the stopping power of a bullet is ultimately dependent how each victim (and what they might be under the influence of) responds to an injury.
    -
    That said, When it comes down to daily 24/7 carry, some of it is based on the laws in your state, some of it is based on your areas perceived threat level, and some of it is based on what you can afford. In the end, it is more important that you carry.
    -
    If you are a businessman in a big city and can't go about your day wearing a .45, should you do without?
    -
    People have successfully defended themselves with a .22.
    Cheap guns are good enough by Massad Ayoob
    -
    Anyone that wants to volunteer to stand in front of my .380 or my 9mm, step up to the plate.
    Not a scientist...no forensic background...but coming from a paramedic , physiologically speaking, no substance can overcome a cns shot.

Blood loss is relative, but at a certain point hypovolemic shock will set in. The key there is hitting as many heavy bleeders ie: heart, major arteries and veins, solid organs. Faster the bleed, faster the threat stops.

Certain substances do suppress pain and do dump epinephrine in the system. But again they can't overcome cns damage or hypovolemia, that's why bullet placement and accuracy are final.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
    Ruger's new LC380 looks pretty good.
    That's actually where I'll disagree with you. The LC380 is EXACTLY the same gun as the LC9, and I can't see the reason for buying essentially the same gun, with essentially the same characteristic, but with less firepower. IMHO, if you are thinking about the LC380, get the LC9. I have no problem with a .380 and carry an LCP 24/7, but to buy a gun that weighs the same, costs the same, fits the same custom holster and has less impact doesn't make sense.
    Chief

From the latest USACarry e-mail an article on the choosing the best caliber for SD by Col (Dr.) Benjamin Findley. Found it interesting and informative, you might find it a good read.
    ~
    The Best Handgun Caliber for Your Concealed Carry Weapon? - USA Carry
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

There is becoming a large percentage of seniors who shoot, or address just starting out. Like me. I shoot 40 S&W right now, but the ageing process eventually catches up. Many Seniors opt for .380 or .38 because of muscle and joint issues. I can honestly see myself with a LCP or LCR. Right now I can still handle the. 40 recoil in my Ruger.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

Better to carry a .380 than have a 45 at home.
    NRA Life Member

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I personally prefer to carry at least a 9mm, and since I have one that is only marginally larger in size than most .380s and can carry and conceal it comfortably no matter the season or type of clothing, I have not bought a .380 in over 25 years. My preference is to carry a .45 whenever possible, but concealing it comfortably is nearly impossible during the summer, so 9mm it is then.

Having said that, I've been on gun forums since '97, and it never ceases to amaze me that the "caliber wars" just never end. I can't imagine myself ever telling someone they're a "loser" or a "pansy" or any derivation thereof simply because they choose to own, carry or give their positive opinions of a caliber that doesn't comport with my own preferences. Good grief. I literally can't believe I've been watching this same caliber war going on for 16 years! Is there really so few important issues these days that this is all we have to argue about? I mean, we're talking about a self-defense round here, not whether or not a .380 will bring down a wild boar or an adult black bear!

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I have now, or have had in the past, everything from .22 through .45 cal firearms. I have large hands and can't handle the smaller .380s. I have a Bersa .380 and that is the smallest I can use. My favorite weapon is a S&W Model 586, .357 cal revolver which fits my hand perfectly. With age, I have developed arthritis in my hands which makes the S&W much more difficult to use. My EDC is now a .40 cal Glock 23. The recoil isn't bad and the grip is smaller than the S&W, making it much easier to handle. The weapon of choice for me has always been the one which fit my hand better and enabled me to be more accurate. I am not a caliber snob since I believe whichever caliber you use will get a BG's attention wherever you might hit him. Pain is a very effective deterrent to most BGs.

Regarding the question posed by this thread, my simple answer is yes - IF you can hit your target where you intend to. That said, I just did a little math and I leave the house with 15rounds of 9mm and 13 rounds of .380. If I just toss my .380 in my pocket and my spare mag, I still have 13rds available to me. After much practice I can get 11-12 of those 13rds center mass in about 15 seconds drawing the gun from my pocket and changing magazines. My hope is that I could match that or come close with the adrenalin flowing.
    -
    If your plan is to send one or two shots downrange and stop your target, good luck. I wish you the best. If you plan to continue firing until there is no longer a threat then sufficient practice with ANY caliber available to you should be sufficient. I could take you out with a .22 if I had to, because in general IMHO a .22 is easier to be accurate with than any other gun, and it's also easier to remain on target for subsequent shots. Would I carry a .22 for self defense? No. If I had to defend myself with a .22 could I? Damn straight. I have a Ruger 10/22 with a double 25rd mag (50 total) and I can knock the wings off a fly without hurting it.
    -
    Cops carried 38 Special for ages, and the question of whether they could stop a bad guy didn't come up until the criminals started getting better guns. What changed?
    Chief

10. Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I personally prefer to carry at least a 9mm, and since I have one that is only marginally larger in size than most .380s and can carry and conceal it comfortably no matter the season or type of clothing, I have not bought a .380 in over 25 years. My preference is to carry a .45 whenever possible, but concealing it comfortably is nearly impossible during the summer, so 9mm it is then.

Having said that, I've been on gun forums since '97, and it never ceases to amaze me that the "caliber wars" just never end. I can't imagine myself ever telling someone they're a "loser" or a "pansy" or any derivation thereof simply because they choose to own, carry or give their positive opinions of a caliber that doesn't comport with my own preferences. Good grief. I literally can't believe I've been watching this same caliber war going on for 16 years! Is there really so few important issues these days that this is all we have to argue about? I mean, we're talking about a self-defense round here, not whether or not a .380 will bring down a wild boar or an adult black bear!

Blues

I can hide my XDs .45 pretty good in my iwb crossbreed.

First rule of gunfighting. 1) Bring a gun :) >.380 will do the job. I carry a Shield .40 as well but often I need a smaller CCW and I go with my LCP with Hornady Critical Defense .90 rounds in it.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast