.380 ACP: is it good enough or no? - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: .380 ACP: is it good enough or no?

I wish I had the spare cash for either a Ruger LCR OR LCP.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

3. I recently googled this same argument, .380 vs 9mm. The writer of the article says that based on stopping power and knockdown power, the 9mm wins hands down. But as has been stated, if you have a .380 and you can aim it well, it will put down most anyone coming at you. And the .380 being slightly smaller allows for carrying more rounds. And the firearm conceals much easier. :)

4. I'm personally looking at the LC380. It's slightly larger than the LCP and it holds another round. And I like the way it feels in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bawlmer View Post
    I'm personally looking at the LC380. It's slightly larger than the LCP and it holds another round. And I like the way it feels in my hand.
    The LC380 is EXACTLY the same gun as the LC9, with a different mag and a few chambering adjustments. Ask the gunshop guy to show them to you side by side.
    -
    If you are considering it, get the LC9. The only reason for an LCP over an LC9 is that it weighs half as much and is easier to conceal. If you are going to get a bigger gun, get the 9mm.
    -
    9mm is better than .380, no doubt.
    -
    9mm is generally cheaper to practice with
    -
    having an extra 9mm round is better than having an extra .380 round.
    Chief

6. Quote Originally Posted by bawlmer View Post
    I recently googled this same argument, .380 vs 9mm. The writer of the article says that based on stopping power and knockdown power, the 9mm wins hands down. But as has been stated, if you have a .380 and you can aim it well, it will put down most anyone coming at you. And the .380 being slightly smaller allows for carrying more rounds. And the firearm conceals much easier. :)
    I actually don't think you can carry more rounds with a .380 over a 9mm. They are EXACTLY the same diameter. And since magazine capacity doesn't depend on round length, but rather round diameter, you wouldn't be able to get another round in.

Interesting !

8. Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post

Interesting !
    I consider his statement at the end of the video about using FMJ's over hollow points to be just bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I actually don't think you can carry more rounds with a .380 over a 9mm. They are EXACTLY the same diameter. And since magazine capacity doesn't depend on round length, but rather round diameter, you wouldn't be able to get another round in.
    I think he's just talking about the 2 particular guns. The LCP is 6+1, the LC9/LC380 are 7+1
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I think he's just talking about the 2 particular guns. The LCP is 6+1, the LC9/LC380 are 7+1
    Seven little rounds vs eight little rounds? Here's my old fashioned thinking. If I'm carrying a gun for self defense, I really don't want to compromise the defense capabilities, so I adjust my dress to fit the gun I want to carry. In that respect I want the ability to send lots of big bullets toward the threat. 7 or 8 .380's doesn't fit my requirements. I really believe that if changing magazines becomes necessary, that will be the time when I will be shot by the bad guy.

Yes, shot placement is critical, but the diameter of an expanded .45 is half again that of a .380 or 9mm, and that makes it more likely to hit a critical artery, nerve, etc. 2nd shot is important. Getting "back on target" is a skill that comes from practice, and with practice a second .45 will be plenty accurate. So, all considered, I am able to dress for what I want to carry. Springfield Armory XDM-45 4.5" with 13+1 rounds of .45ACP JHP ammo. If I lived in one of the communist states like NY, where I was limited to 7 round mags, I would carry my heavy 1911, because I just shoot it better. Since I don't have that limitation in Texas I carry maximum practical firepower and would have a problem recommending .380.

If I absolutely had to carry a subcompact, I might be tempted by something in .357Sig, like a Glock 33. I really like the ballistics of the .357 Sig round, with muzzle energy second only to the 10mm, but that blaster in a subcompact would take lots of painful (and expensive) practice.

11. Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    He said "and the .380 being slightly smaller allows for carrying more rounds." I took it he meant comparing .380 to 9mm. Otherwise what he said just wouldn't have made sense.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast