Prescription Pain Meds and Concealed Carry?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prescription Pain Meds and Concealed Carry?

Prescription Pain Meds and Concealed Carry?

Greetings!

I am a new gun owner and just received my CPL from Michigan this past weekend. I have not Concealed Carry yet because I wondered about the possibility that I might be prescribed pain medicine for my rheumatoid arthritis. If it was a controlled substance I wondered if it would be legal for me to conceal carry since Michigan has a strict caveat in their Concealed Carry law regarding controlled substance and alcohol.

My question is, if the controlled substance is a legally prescribed medication, does this matter? I am awaiting a phone conference with my lawyer scheduled for Thursday afternoon, but I thought I would pose this question to the forum.

I am currently weaning myself off of most of my medications because I am getting better. But I do have serious pain issues from my arthritis and my doctor assures me that any pain medicine he would prescribe for me would be safe. The medication he might prescribe would effectively relieve my pain but would not cause me to have any type of "high" feeling. As a matter of fact, sometimes people overdose on this pain medication because they keep taking more and more of it to achieve a "high" feeling that does not happen. Taking too much of this medicine will cause death if a person takes enough to stop his heart.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by glockgirl51; 07-17-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Wanted to clarify possibilities.

3. Best to let your lawyer advise you on this.

Yes. That is what I suspected, and, of course, that will be my ultimate course of action. I am anxious, however, and wondered if anyone had experience with this situation. My husband and I have been going to the range two or three times a week, however, and we are doing our best to make sure we are responsible gun owners. I have been fortunate to be able to shoot very accurately with my Glock 19 and we have both been invited to join our range Glock Shooting Team even though we have only owned our Glocks since June 1. Shooting has been a good thing for me, physically, since it is something I can do even with my rheumatoid arthritis and it seems to help me with keeping me moving. The more I move, the less pain I have. It seems odd, but more movement, while it hurts, actually helps! So, even though I don't take pain medication now, I am still able to shoot very accurately. I'll let you know what my lawyer shares with me! Thanks so much!

I suspect if you find yourself in need of a self defense argument you will loose based on the medication you describe. Any first year law student could very easily make the argument that your perceptions of any event were skewed by the drug you were taking. Although you may "feel fine" opiates, which is the family of drug you are taking, can have a profound effect on judgement when mixed with a natural adrenalin and panic cocktail.

I was afraid of that, which is why I am trying to stop taking the medication. I just wondered if it mattered if it was a legally prescribed medication. I suspect it would. I can still have my pistol for home defense, however, correct? I would just wait until I can be off of my pain meds completely before I would conceal carry.

If that were true how about all the cops, judges, lawyers, doctors, firefighters, etc that are taking pain meds? Then theres the antidepressant meds they're also taking. As long as it's prescribed they're gonna have a tough time proving that case. But I could be wrong, talk to your lawyer, he should know. jmho
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    I suspect if you find yourself in need of a self defense argument you will loose based on the medication you describe. Any first year law student could very easily make the argument that your perceptions of any event were skewed by the drug you were taking. Although you may "feel fine" opiates, which is the family of drug you are taking, can have a profound effect on judgement when mixed with a natural adrenalin and panic cocktail.
    So, you will be able to provide plenty of examples of court cases that prove your theory? We'll wait. I'm sure it will be a long wait.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. Please do consult with counsel. LEOs are making record numbers of arrests for DUI involving prescription medications (even though many of them are on medications themselves). You certainly don't want your life ruined if an SD situation arose, and your decision to use lethal force is questioned because of the meds.

Even though you may feel fine taking the meds, your cognitive ability, executive function, and motor responses are affected.

Congrats on getting your CHCL!

EDIT: I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express 10 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So, you will be able to provide plenty of examples of court cases that prove your theory? We'll wait. I'm sure it will be a long wait.
    thinking the same thing. Perception? It wasn't an accident. I shot him because he attacked me. Screw the medications.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Yes, which is why I have my question. I will, of course, be speaking with my attorney to make sure. I do not want to jeopardize my second amendment rights and I truly want to be a responsible citizen. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast