Concealed Carry & Conversing with Liberals - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry & Conversing with Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    I think the false assumption that all people that are self-described liberals are anti-gun, or anti-concealed carry is just that... a false assumption. I am a firearm owner, and a CCW peermit holder. I conceal carry whenever I legally can. I hunt. I'm an NRA member. I also happen to be a progressive (like Teddy Roosevelt, remember him?) and a registered democrat. The sentiment that only far-right conservatives support gun rights is absurd. Not everybody walks lock-step with their political party of choice. There are plenty of democrats that support the 2nd amendment. That's why the NRA doesn't hand out it's endorsements down party lines. The only people that can help change the democratic party are people like me. I support democratic candidates in primaries that are pro-gun. I also work hard to have civil conversations with people who didn't grow up around guns. You can't change people by labeling them, and saying their wrong. You have to have a conversation and help them see a topic from your point of view.

Believe it or not, I'm not alone. I know plenty of people who are democrats, or are liberal independents that are gun owners, or even CCW permit holders. I also know plenty of republicans and conservatives that are very anti-gun people. The tone of this thread so far is not constructive. Liberal does not mean anti-gun. Conservative does not mean pro-gun.

Want to bring an anti-gun person to the good side? Invite them to a range or a hunting trip. Share a story about where a gun has been essential tool for the survival or protection of in individual, even yourself maybe. Show them of the differences, or lack-thereof, between a regular gun and a "scary weapon". If they disagree with the ability of people that conceal carry, tell them about the classes you had to take to qualify. Introduce them to an officer who supports concealed carry.

As my mother-in-law always says, "you know what happens when you assume! You make an a$$ of u and me."
    I applaud your pro-gun stance, and your efforts to convert anti-gun people. That said, in the general scheme of things, Democrat representatives are the ones that attack guns. Even the pro-gun dems will, if they think it wont hurt their re-election chances. Republicans (and I consider myself either Tea Party, Libertarian and/or a 3%er) will not attack the second amendment without a back-up plan (like "common sense" universal background checks) and cannot count on re-election afterwards.
    -
    My problem is not with Democrats. My problem is with Liberals, and the IDIOTS they elect because they vote the party line even after the primaries have stuck them with an idiot. I cannot stand the lack of common sense in their common sense. In short, if you voted for Obama I cannot in good conscience listen to anything else you say after that. I believe the Constitution was one of the finest documents ever drafted. It is the ONLY thing that separates us from EVERY other country on this earth, and has been the envy of every citizen in other countries that has the desire to be free. Government should be limited. Period. You cannot legislate freedom, you just get the F#@K out of the way and it will happen all by itself.
    Chief

Beauty of CC

Before I had my CCDW I went into a healthcare facility OC. I realized what I'd done, and asked the receptionist, whom I knew, if she could keep my Glock for me. she put it in her purse and I made my visits. Later, I told her I had my permit and she gave me a thumbs up. Then she asked was I carrying. I said, "If you have to ask, you don't need to know." She smiled, winked, and said, "Have a good and safe day." She hasn't asked since, just smiles as I come in.

Huh, last few liberals I discussed concealed carry with were asking what I carry for comparison with theirs…. Don't lump all liberals into the same anti-gun bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleks View Post
    Yes.... I have. Several of us meet once a year at one place, from different parts of the country that everyone lives in now. We have campfires at night, etc. And, at one event, the discussion got started. Now, they know my background in the legal system, and that I dealt with a lot of the worse types of cases. I worked with only violent crimes, murders, etc. So, they knew this. I got out of it at one point in my life and changed careers. As it went along, someone asked me... "well, would you carry a gun now ? " . I jokingly asked, after all of the things you know I've seen, do you need to ask that ? They asked, "are you carrying now".... and I responded, "there has not be a day you've known me or been around me that I haven't had a gun on me".
    >
    This concerned a few people. So, for about the next 3 nights.... around the campfire.... I sat back and watched them as they all debated the pro's and con's for hours. I didn't make a lot of input. By the 3rd night, they had not only convinced themselves it made sense, but some of them decided when they got back home they were going to apply for a CC license. At first, they said all of the same anti-gun stuff and there's no reason to carry a gun discussion that I've heard numerous times that people make. What was interesting to me, was watching them actually "discuss it", and without any prodding come to that conclusion.
    >
    I think when most people stop and think logically, actually discuss the 'fact's & what's going on in the world every day, and really are honest.... rather than spouting out some pundit's garbage, they get there.
    >
    the really funny part, the 4th and 5th night they spent discussing what guns would make the best conceal carry guns.
    I pity you, not for having to listen to anti-gun stuff, but for having to listen to the re-distribution and baby killing rhetoric for 5 nights.
    Chief

Hey, golddigger14 - I'm not ashamed of nor afraid to show my gun, it just isn't allowed to open carry in some towns here in Delaware. Some of those towns are published. Others are ashamed to make it known, or are trying to trap people, like Lewes. I often dress in a suit because of my position. Sometimes I open carry, giving me many opportunities to talk about why I carry, and give out cards for my tactical trainer. You may not have meant to sound condescending, maybe you did. We all have the right to carry as we see fit. We get enough crap from non-believers, we don't need it from fellow carriers. Here in Delaware, we know that permitted carriers have been through rigorous training. Open carriers, we're not sure, and watch them like a hawk. You never know.... are they broke, are they not able to pass the background check, are they sane, or just lazy? Or don't they have the gumption to go through the steps that lead to being cleared and permitted. Don't know about you, but I am proud to have the privilege to carry OC or CC, as I see fit. Sorry about you.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    Two things bother me: 1) that most people on this forum seem to assume that there are no "libtards" on the forum, and 2) that most of you seem to think that liberals don't carry guns. I'd like you folks to reconsider your opinions. I am both liberal and a gun owner. I have a concealed carry permit, and I do carry a gun. I'm not the only so-called liberal to do so.
    I live in North Carolina, and I disagree with a lot of the current politicians, however I agree with the very recent changes to our gun laws, which I think most of you would agree with, too. Don't lump all liberals together, and I won't lump all conservatives together. Look for the things we have in common.
    spirit4earth a.k.a. tree-hugger, a.k.a. climate changer et.al. - You're a liberal? Your moniker would never give it away...
    -
    I disagree with most liberal views. If you are pro-gun then you are a step above your compadres and I applaud you for that. That said, you and your cohorts elected officials that want to trample the Constitution and infringe on my rights. I will "lump" you all into that.
    -
    Do you believe that it is my responsibility to fund abortions for those without the foresight to realize that unprotected sex might end up in a pregnancy? I think it is evil, and I think the government should get the hell out of it. I begrudgingly acknowledge each persons right to choose for themselves. I vehemently argue that it should not be funded by my tax dollars.
    -
    We have people in this country that have the ability to work, but choose not to. Others who would, but can't afford to because working would generate less income than welfare. I have no problem contributing to help the disabled in our society that CANNOT work, but disagree with funding the lazy who gan get a pay raise for pumping out another child they can't afford.
    -
    This is just a few examples of liberal agenda that I have a problem with. If you support guns, great. Please don't elect people that want to take mine away...
    Chief

8. I tend to not discuss guns and concealed carry with those opposed to it. Saves a lot, and, I mean a lot, of headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstonebeach View Post
    Hey, golddigger14 - I'm not ashamed of nor afraid to show my gun, it just isn't allowed to open carry in some towns here in Delaware. Some of those towns are published. Others are ashamed to make it known, or are trying to trap people, like Lewes. I often dress in a suit because of my position. Sometimes I open carry, giving me many opportunities to talk about why I carry, and give out cards for my tactical trainer. You may not have meant to sound condescending, maybe you did. We all have the right to carry as we see fit. We get enough crap from non-believers, we don't need it from fellow carriers. Here in Delaware, we know that permitted carriers have been through rigorous training. Open carriers, we're not sure, and watch them like a hawk. You never know.... are they broke, are they not able to pass the background check, are they sane, or just lazy? Or don't they have the gumption to go through the steps that lead to being cleared and permitted. Don't know about you, but I am proud to have the privilege to carry OC or CC, as I see fit. Sorry about you.
    I'm sorry you misunderstood me. My philosophy is for people to CC, OC, or not carry at all. Do what makes "you happy". My only complaint is with the people that say to CC only. "If you don't do it my way you are wrong." I realize that at the time being some states/cities don't give a person a choice as to how to carry, or not. Hopefully in my lifetime the whole country will be constitutional carry like AZ. Once again I apologize if I sounded like I seemed to single anybody out. I carry both ways (no jokes please) depending on what I'm doing, and the weather. It's just for the most part more convenient for me to OC. I know this may go against some views here, but I'm also a closet tree hugger in some aspects.

10. In short, I read the new NC bill the day after the governor signed it. Actually, I DO think there should be SOME laws about purchasing/owning/receiving handguns. Is that a "liberal" only viewpoint? I don't think so. You don't know me and I don't know you----the venom of some if these posts insults the intelligence of ALL people.

It has been my experience that sheeple do not follow "party lines" therefore I personally do not think about political doctrine as much as I think about how important it is to get Politicans out of office after a maximum of two terms. Longer than that and they have shown they completely loose the notion that they are in office to serve the people and replace it with I must get re-elected. Sheeple will always do what they are told by those they see as leader of the flock, even if it means going over the cliff to certain doom. Here in Arkansas, you can only cc, so I always cc. If I am in a state where oc is allowed, I carry oc. I always engage those anti-gunners with one or more of these statements/ facts; "so, if a bad guy decides to take your life, you will just let him?" When the State of Florida allowed the elderly to carry, suddenly the crime rate involving the elderly dropped 50% and after the first self defence by an elderly woman it dropped 75%. And there is great truth in the statement "when guns are outlawed only the outlaws will have guns". I can also bring up that the purpose of removing arms from the people is so that they can not fight against the regime in power doing injustices to the populace, just ask Hitler or Stallin. "Great Brittan has very strict gun laws, yet there is still gun involved crime there, How can that be if gun control works as you claim?"

If we don't explain it over and over to the sheeple, they will never have the opportunity to see the light and change their minds. They are after all sheeple, it takes a lot of hammering with truths and facts to get anything into their thick skulls.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast