Layover in state in which I do not have a conceal carry permit- is that even an issue - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Layover in state in which I do not have a conceal carry permit- is that even an issue

1. I'm 100% new to the site as of today, however I do travel a lot for work and have brought my firearms on multiple flights, with multiple airlines, to multiple cities across the country. Anyone can bring a firearm on a plane as long as its DECLARED to the airline when you check in. If it is not declared you WILL get in a lot of trouble so be sure to tell the airline. They will fill out a tag that will go in the case with the gun and thats how they determine its been declared. Then, depending on the airport, they will have you carry the case to tsa directly for them to check it in or they will have someone from tsa come get it. However, either way, you will most likely have to stay with tsa until its xrayed(at least all my experiences), then youll be on your way. At no time, until you land and collect your bags, should you even hear a peep about it.

So all that being said, the fact that you possess a ccw really has no affect on air travel because its not needed. And I dont want to discourage you at all because it hasnt stopped me, but pray that your gun(pistol or rifle or shotgun) doesnt get stolen in transit because it happened to a very close friend and not only did he lose his rob lathem custom 1911 that spent the better part of a decade with him in his unit, but the paperwork nightmare that went with it was enough to kill a man. Police reports in every city that you land in plus federal stuff. Yuck.

For the future, I promise I wont post long responses lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by njlungbuster View Post
    I'm 100% new to the site as of today, however I do travel a lot for work and have brought my firearms on multiple flights, with multiple airlines, to multiple cities across the country. Anyone can bring a firearm on a plane as long as its DECLARED to the airline when you check in. If it is not declared you WILL get in a lot of trouble so be sure to tell the airline. They will fill out a tag that will go in the case with the gun and thats how they determine its been declared. Then, depending on the airport, they will have you carry the case to tsa directly for them to check it in or they will have someone from tsa come get it. However, either way, you will most likely have to stay with tsa until its xrayed(at least all my experiences), then youll be on your way. At no time, until you land and collect your bags, should you even hear a peep about it.

So all that being said, the fact that you possess a ccw really has no affect on air travel because its not needed. And I dont want to discourage you at all because it hasnt stopped me, but pray that your gun(pistol or rifle or shotgun) doesnt get stolen in transit because it happened to a very close friend and not only did he lose his rob lathem custom 1911 that spent the better part of a decade with him in his unit, but the paperwork nightmare that went with it was enough to kill a man. Police reports in every city that you land in plus federal stuff. Yuck.

For the future, I promise I wont post long responses lol.

Oh hey! This isn't a long post. Good information. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the site.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

4. That was long? Lol well it tired me out typing it, so its long enough.

5. Btw, another great tip that I tell everyone, put stickers like fishing companies or music stuff on your gun case. It'll be less likely for someone to want to break into it and try and steal your gun if it's something of no interest.

6. Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    All this chatter about letting or not letting the TSA or any other authority do an empty chamber check, strikes me.

Do you guys actually put your gun on checked baggage without a barrel cable lock on the gun? Maybe I'm paranoid (or it could be that I've had stuff stolen out of my checked luggage already) but when that gun is out of my personal possession, I want it as secured as possible. When mine goes into the lock box, in my checked bag, it already has a trigger lock and a barrel cable lock on it.
    None of my guns have ever had any locks on the guns themselves. If someone is going to steal a gun from checked baggage, they are not going to take the time to pry open the gun case there at the airport and steal only the gun. A thief would have to be completely mentally challenged to do that. They are going to take the gun case and leave most expiditiously to a location where they can work on prying open the gun case in relative privacy and safety. I can see maybe locking the gun case to the inside of the suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat12 View Post
    I like the chamber flag idea- have you run into any problems with this?
    I just put the gun in the case with the slide locked back. Like you, my outer suitcase was searched with the note from TSA inside it, but the gun case was undisturbed. I'm just not going to handle the gun or gun case at all at the airport unless they make a lawful request for me to do so.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12