Carrying at a Construction Site - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying at a Construction Site

Quote Originally Posted by awoken2life View Post
    JCREECK- interestingly enough, I haven't found my pistol to be too dirty, even though I use a grinder to cut most of my tile. Perhaps my BDU style pants have plenty of slack to provide the cover.
    Maybe I'll have to get some of those then because even when we were doing things like roofing that created no dust, my gun was always dirty. When cutting concrete or masonry with a grinder it killed me to see my poor S&W covered in all that abrasive dust.

3. Got a story for everyone here. I also did floor covering for over 35 years. Finished a job and was loading my truck when I was followed in by a man with a knife and wanted my wallet. Not the middle of the night, 2 in the afternoon. Once you are isolated and alone, no one sees a thing. The outcome was assaulted, robbed and stabbed in the hand.
    Now I carry in the waist band and it's almost 5 years. I did floor covering, so I had a pair of Pro Knee pads for kneeling. If you have seen them, they are rather large and cover the knee and shin from the top of your foot to the top of your knee. It would be hard to have an ankle holster.
    So, carry often and carry everywhere. Good advice, don't tell anyone you are carrying, it's your secret.
    Here's a good read. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/128...he_Basics.html
    Keep safe.

JCREECK- interestingly enough, I haven't found my pistol to be too dirty, even though I use a grinder to cut most of my tile. Perhaps my BDU style pants have plenty of slack to provide the cover.
    If you have BDU pants why not carry in the cargo pocket?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If you have BDU pants why not carry in the cargo pocket?
    Good suggestion but if he's working on his knees all day it'll constantly be clanking around and hitting the floor. Not so discreet or safe.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Good suggestion but if he's working on his knees all day it'll constantly be clanking around and hitting the floor. Not so discreet or safe.
    My cargo/tactical pants have the cargo pockets between my knee and the belt loops. I carry my pocket pistol there all the time, and couldn't make the pocket hit the ground while on my knees if my life depended on it.

And no, I'm not a "tacticool" kind of guy. The pants were part of my uniform when I worked on an armored truck, and as long as I don't tear 'em, they last forever. The only real difference that I've seen between my 5.11 tac-pants and non-tactical cargo pants is that the 5.11's have the loop part of Velcro lining the inside of the pockets so you can secure holsters and mag carriers etc. in there, but the pockets are generally in the same places. I use the Velcro when carrying in one of those pockets too. It's a very secure and comfortable way to carry.

Maybe you're talking about cargo pants that I've never seen the likes of before. Disregard if so.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

7. Carrying at a Construction Site

I put a lot of thought into the cargo pocket idea. There are several issues:

1. I need to keep the weapon in some kind of holster. It will rotate with movement. Which means I have to get some kind of Velcro sewn onto each pair of pants I wear to work and Velcro on the holster.
    2. My choice of weapon is too bulky and too heavy to be carried around in a floppy cargo pocket. Means I would have to put something heavy in the opposing pocket to offset the look so as not to be "made"
    3. As another user pointed out, it would be loose and end up rubbing against my leg. Even with small items in the cargo pocket, I have to maneuver in some rooms in a way that causes the items to be squished and end up with abrasions at the end of the day.

8. Carrying at a Construction Site

The Cargo/BDU pants I have are military type, they are very loose and baggy. Not the tight and neat ones that are "tacticool". I wear them to work because they allow much more mobility as opposed to jeans. It has nothing to do with being a gun nut.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    My cargo/tactical pants have the cargo pockets between my knee and the belt loops. I carry my pocket pistol there all the time, and couldn't make the pocket hit the ground while on my knees if my life depended on it.

And no, I'm not a "tacticool" kind of guy. The pants were part of my uniform when I worked on an armored truck, and as long as I don't tear 'em, they last forever. The only real difference that I've seen between my 5.11 tac-pants and non-tactical cargo pants is that the 5.11's have the loop part of Velcro lining the inside of the pockets so you can secure holsters and mag carriers etc. in there, but the pockets are generally in the same places. I use the Velcro when carrying in one of those pockets too. It's a very secure and comfortable way to carry.

Maybe you're talking about cargo pants that I've never seen the likes of before. Disregard if so.

Blues
    He said BDUs and my military uniform has the cargo pockets extremely low. I don't wear cargo pants normally so I wouldn't know about civilian pants.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    The Cargo/BDU pants I have are military type, they are very loose and baggy. Not the tight and neat ones that are "tacticool". I wear them to work because they allow much more mobility as opposed to jeans. It has nothing to do with being a gun nut.
    I wasn't implying that you were trying to be "tacticool." Some folks around here will criticize absolutely anything you wear if it's not just a straight-forward IWB "standard" civilian garb. I was just explaining why I wore the pants I was talking about, because of a job that I had for five years that I had to wear them.

For the record, I carry two different weapons in the cargo pocket of the 5.11 pants I was talking about. One is a Kel-Tec PF9 and the other is a CZ 2075 RAMI. The PF9 is obviously the easiest and most comfortable to carry that way, but the RAMI is so close to the same size as your G27 that most leather holsters made for it will fit my RAMI. If a holster manufacturer doesn't make what I want for the RAMI, I have two holsters that were made for the G26/G27 that fit it like a glove. Only point being that I know exactly what you're talking about when you describe the "flop-factor" in a cargo pocket.

I linked to a holster shirt called "Packin' Tee" above. The holster that comes with it has the hook part of Velcro to match up with the loop in the cargo pocket of the 5.11's. A 25' tape measure on the opposite side would counter-balance pretty well, and anyone who noticed you pulling out your tape would just assume you had other tools in your other pocket. I put my wallet, a Fenix TK21 and a Bradley Alias 1 in the opposite pocket, and as old as I am, I still don't lean to one side or the other. LOL The chaffing is going to be a problem without putting something on the inside that's non-abrasive and gives a little padding. I know, if you already have an ankle holster, probably not worth the trouble, but it's also not quite as cut-and-dried of a bad idea as you first thought. Pretty minor alterations make it a viable option.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12