Carrying at a Construction Site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying at a Construction Site

1. Carrying at a Construction Site

First off, please don't start the conversations about where we should or shouldn't carry. I have worked in some VERY shady areas and feel a need to carry.

Just wanted to share with fellow construction workers how I carry. As a flooring contractor, I am often on my knees, so IWB is out of the question due to heavy printing. After lots of thought, I purchased a Galco Ankle Glove for my Glock 27. I carry it on my left ankle under my baggy camouflage or cargo pants. I've been doing so for a month now and absolutely no one notices. As you will read about all ankle carry, it is not as convenient, or easy. It is uncomfortable at first, but after a few days, you don't notice it. I also got the calf strap for it, which helps keep it up and feels great.

Hope this bit is helpful for those that are looking to carry at work, and maybe someone might share how they manage to carry in an inconvenient environment.

Wow, I would never have thought I'd find someone stating that it's comfortable (after a while) to carry ANY glock on the ankle... Glocks just seem too thick and chunky....hell, that's how I feel about them IWB... but that's just me I guess... Actually, I had given great thought to ankle carry for a J frame at one time, but it too seemed to 'bulgy' and I never got used to it....

I do understand your reasoning & hope it continues to work out well for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by awoken2life View Post
    First off, please don't start the conversations about where we should or shouldn't carry.
    I'm sorry, I can't resist. My personal opinion is that you should carry however you choose to carry your gun wherever you choose to carry your gun. To me it's a simple done deal. There are no "No Criminals" zones in this country.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Navy you really need to see someone about your inability to resist posting like this, really. LOL
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

First off, please don't start the conversations about where we should or shouldn't carry. I have worked in some VERY shady areas and feel a need to carry.

Just wanted to share with fellow construction workers how I carry. As a flooring contractor, I am often on my knees, so IWB is out of the question due to heavy printing. After lots of thought, I purchased a Galco Ankle Glove for my Glock 27. I carry it on my left ankle under my baggy camouflage or cargo pants. I've been doing so for a month now and absolutely no one notices. As you will read about all ankle carry, it is not as convenient, or easy. It is uncomfortable at first, but after a few days, you don't notice it. I also got the calf strap for it, which helps keep it up and feels great.

Hope this bit is helpful for those that are looking to carry at work, and maybe someone might share how they manage to carry in an inconvenient environment.
    I doubt anybody here would lecture you on your reasons for carry! Aside from that SmartCarry was the only holster that ever worked for me while I was at work. I originally got it with my G26, being identical to your 27, I can say it's most likely the best option you've got. Stand, Sit, Bend, Twist, Crawl doesn't matter. Extremely comfortable, and the only carry method I have where I can actually forget about it. It's also my primary carry method during the hot months due to wearing shorts and thin T-Shirts. I'd 100% recomend it, you wouldn't think sticking your gun in front of your junk would be comfortable but it's more comfortable than IWB, although I still carry IWB sometimes.

Carrying at a Construction Site

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    First off, please don't start the conversations about where we should or shouldn't carry.
    I'm sorry, I can't resist. My personal opinion is that you should carry however you choose to carry your gun wherever you choose to carry your gun. To me it's a simple done deal. There are no "No Criminals" zones in this country.
    While I do agree with you to a point, as a contractor it gets a little hairy as you are going into other people's private homes.

As to the op: I worked for a general for two years doing residential remodeling. My boss knew I carried everyday but like you said IWB became a problem because of constantly having to bend over. My boss didn't care that I carried as long as the clients didn't find out. He didn't want his clients knowing he had full sleeve tattoos either so he always wore long sleeve shirts. I tried several things to get my shirt to stop from riding up over my gun but short of wearing a long sweatshirt nothing worked. I eventually relented and left my EDC in the van and just carried my BUG, which is a J-frame in a Galco ankle glove as well. It worked very well and no one ever noticed. The one problem you will find is that your gun will get very very dirty carrying on your ankle in construction.

There are a lot of options available as far as guns and holsters are concerned. You may want to consider a small, lightweight pistol like a Ruger LCP or LC9 (or equivalent). They're pretty lightweight and you can carry on the ankle, pocket carry.... whatever is comfortable. I've also seen that Beretta is coming out with the PICO, a .380 which weighs just 10 oz, unloaded. I'm not sure when they'll be available, but I'll be taking a look as my usual work attire is business casual(khakis & golf shirt), so I can't leave my shirt untucked. My occupation takes me into people's homes and in over 10 years, I've never had anybody suspect or question...including off duty LEO's. In fact, I was having a conversation about the NY Safe Act with an off duty LEO in his home and I saw him look me over, but my small pocket carry (LCP) went un-noticed.

I heard the phrase "CANT"..."Carry Always Never Tell"... probably somewhere on this site. If you could predict WHEN you'll need your weapon, then you'd only to need carry at that time. Since I've never been good at predicting anything....I'll stick with "CANT".

9. Carrying at a Construction Site

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Reason I started off with the disclaimer is because any other thread I ever found, people always had reasons why someone should not carry at a construction site. For me personally- if I have pants on, I carry. So no disagreement there.

Ultimately- your carry piece is your choice, and it's unique to everyone. I prefer Glock because I like the capacity and I'm proficient with that platform.

10. Carrying at a Construction Site

JCREECK- interestingly enough, I haven't found my pistol to be too dirty, even though I use a grinder to cut most of my tile. Perhaps my BDU style pants have plenty of slack to provide the cover.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    +1 for the SmartCarry as long as not much of your day is spent behind the wheel. I wore one for more than a year while I was driving for a living, and finally became too concerned with being able to get to it from inside the vehicle if I had to. I ended up going with a Crossbreed Super Tuck that I still wear often (several years later), but while it is a comfortable option as far as IWB rigs go, I still prefer more comfortable options.

I think someone recommended the 5.11 holster-shirt earlier in the thread. A much less expensive option that works just as well is the Packin' Tee. You still have to wear a cover garment, but during the summer you can just use the lightest V-neck or button-down work shirt you can find. If you work as hard as I did when I was in construction, you're going to sweat no matter what you wear anyway. The tee option is much easier to get to than an ankle holster, but to each his own. Good luck, whatever you decide. May you never need it no matter where/how you carry it.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast