Did I do the right thing? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Did I do the right thing?

  1. #21
    ezkl2230 Guest
    I take issue with your rationalizing that the weapons he employed were "defensive only." While tazers and mace/pepper spray are INTENDED to be nonlethal, both have caused death - and you won't know if you are susceptible to that outcome until someone hits you with it. And as others have already pointed out, you have no idea what he might have done to you once you were incapacitated. In a situation in your own home in which you are confronted by a person displaying weapons, you have to assume they are ready to use them. Thank God that you came out of this situation alive, and that you don't have to live with the realization that you killed another person - no matter how much he needed killing. However, any person coming after me or mine in my own home armed with any sort of implement goes out in a bodybag.

    PS -- I carry in my house.

    ***Edited***

    I want to make something else very clear. As someone involved in the sale of firearms for a national company, who carries himself, this is advice I give to everyone who is considering carrying for their own defense.

    The decision to pull the trigger happens long before you find yourself in the situation. It is something that you need to think through long and hard, since taking the life of another is a life altering action - even if you are in the right. Is the preservation of your life, or that of a loved one, important enough that you will take the life of another? You need to work through that before strapping on a firearm. I have run across those who cannot definitively say yes to that question; they should never carry a firearm. Those are the people that the liberal left like to talk about, the ones who find themselves in a defensive situation, discover that they can't pull the trigger, and find themselves in the morgue after being shot with their own firearm. They are in the minority, but they exist nonetheless.

    I do not believe the theory that one can never know what they will do until they find themselves in a given situation. If that is truly the case, then we are wasting billions of dollars each year training police officers, firefighters, and military personnel. The idea isn't even Biblical. The Book of Daniel 1:8 says, "But Daniel resolved that he would not...," and his resolution determined his response and his actions. Your response to a given set of circumstances is the result of 1) mental preparation, 2) physical preparation, with mental preparation being the foundation for a physical response. There are instances in which, after going through the training, police officers and soldiers find that they cannot pull the trigger; the mental preparation has to happen first. In any given day and place I run through numerous defensive scenarios in my mind. As a team leader for one of my church's security teams, I have run through dozens of scenarios mentally; we are finally going to be allowed to carry in church and drill for active shooter scenarios - I have been pushing for that for several years. Why? Am I paranoid? No. I don't do it out of fear, and it isn't something over which I lose sleep. I do it because, as Proverbs says, "The prudent sees danger and takes those measures that are consistent with his own protection, but the simple go on and suffer for it," Prov. 22:3. We live in a dangerous world, and as you found out the hard way, you never know where the danger is going to confront you. You have to be prepared to the best of your ability to confront the danger wherever it finds you. And that is why the preparation is so necessary. The danger will almost always have the initiative, the element of surprise. As the object of that danger, it is up to you to take the initiative back if at all possible, and as quickly as possible. The longer you have to think about what you should do, the more likely it is that the situation will have an undesirable outcome.

    If you are going to carry, then the first place you should be carrying is in your own home.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Posts
    3,355
    To the OP....

    The end result was no one got hurt, no one got killed, YOU didn't go to jail, and you have had a very intense event to use as a learning experience.

    Now... did you do the right things? Well.... no one got hurt, no one got killed, and YOU didn't go to jail.

    Will it turn out the same way next time? Maybe.. maybe not.. but now you have a for real experience to pick apart and come up with options in case things go differently.

    But, as someone else pointed out, this incident didn't start when the young guy pulled out the taser and pepper spray... it started when your own naivete` helped set up the scenario for the young man to begin his attack.

    And there is one other thing.... you didn't have a gun ON your person. You were damn lucky to just happen to be in front of the drawer where your gun was at the time it was needed. Imagine the outcome if you had been anywhere else............

    Now... some folks think that carrying a gun inside your own house is just silly... or just stashing a gun or two around the house is good enough... yet please (everyone reading this too!) consider how long it takes you to get out of your chair/off the commode/upstairs.. or downstairs/from the other end of the house.. and then get to the gun you have stashed in some hidy place if 4 guys kicked in your door. Bottom line... if you don't have a gun on you where it is instantly accessible the bad guys have the advantage of having their guns out before you can even get to yours.

    Oh yeah, if YOU thought that was a super good hiding place to put your gun the bad guys will too... they WILL look in all the usual super secret places and then they have your gun too.

  4. #23
    A lot of good points throughout this thread, and pretty much everything's been covered but there are a few things that stand out.

    Bikenut hit it right on the head with a number of his points but in particular...CARRY IN YOUR HOME. I haven't been a gun owner too long but I have carried from day one. In fact, my wife gets a kick out of the fact that even at night when I am wearing apparel that is not conducive to holstering or pocketing a weapon I will hand carry a gun when I go to let the dog out. I'm as far from paranoid as you can get but I do consider myself to be fairly aware and alert.

    As for the "can I pull the trigger when I have to?", stuff - I tend to leave that alone. I have personally known individuals that trained and trained - talked the talk - etc, and still ***t the bed when things got a little dicey. One never knows.

    Stay positive.

    Good luck.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemc53 View Post
    CARRY IN YOUR HOME. I haven't been a gun owner too long but I have carried from day one. In fact, my wife gets a kick out of the fact that even at night when I am wearing apparel that is not conducive to holstering or pocketing a weapon I will hand carry a gun when I go to let the dog out. I'm as far from paranoid as you can get but I do consider myself to be fairly aware and alert.
    During the night I can be seen with a glass of water in one hand and a gun in the other. My wife laughs at me too. She's a sheep. Even after watching me barely survive being attacked by a drunken mob of college baseball players 3 weeks after our first daughter was born. Can you say, "baaaa?"

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    I do it because, as Proverbs says, "The prudent sees danger and takes those measures that are consistent with his own protection, but the simple go on and suffer for it," Prov. 22:3.
    Ezkl2230, I agree with the gist of your post. I am curious however, to know which translation you are using to quote this Biblical verse. I have looked at numerous translations and the majority of them say, "The prudent man that sees danger hides.... " or "The prudent man that sees danger takes refuge (in the Lord)...". Only one translation that I have found states what you posted and another is similar.

    Here's a link of many translations of that particular verse along with some commentaries. I am curious to know which translation you were using.

    Proverbs 22:3 The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  7. #26
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I truly appreciate the openness and honesty. I've learned a lot from the incident and realize I still have a lot to learn, as most of us do.

    Stay safe!

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Manning View Post
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I truly appreciate the openness and honesty. I've learned a lot from the incident and realize I still have a lot to learn, as most of us do.

    Stay safe!
    I'd be curious to know what you learned as regards the question that is the title of your thread? Would you mind articulating that just to kind of close the circle on the thread?

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  9. You did very well. No harm unnecessarily done and you properly considered the escalation needed that would justify the use of deadly force.

  10. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    He will now be more aggressive toward his next victim, perhaps tasing at the first chance he gets.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using USA Carry mobile app
    This absolutely correct BG learn from their mistakes and will profit from your lack of commitment to the defense of yourself. With the type of weapons carried by the perp his attacking from you blind side will appeal to him even more now that he has faced a firearm, it isn't going to stop him from being a BG but will make him more determined to be prepared by upping is game with more aggressive tactics or by being better armed.
    ~
    The fact that you walked away from this proves that self defense will protect you in similar situations. What if he had pulled a gun and demonstrated the aggressiveness to use same? You must be prepared mentally to pull the trigger without hesitation, this decision must be made in advance of entering in to a stressful potentially fatal event so there is no hesitation, putting the stress and fear into your opponent.
    ~
    You were fortunate the situation turned out as it did, stay safe and I wish you well.
    Last edited by dogshawred; 08-04-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: phrasing
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    The fact that you walked away from this proves that self defense will protect you in similar situations .
    All the fact that he walked away proved was that he got lucky

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Manning View Post
    turned around and opened my nightstand pull out my Glock 19 which I keep there at all times. I turn back to him and aim straight at him and order him to drop the "stuff". He hit me with the mace but with all the adrenaline in my system I really didn't feel it until later.
    Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    What if he had pulled a gun and demonstrated the aggressiveness to use same? You must be prepared mentally to pull the trigger without hesitation…
    This seems to be a very grey area when it comes up on forums and a lot of people say “if I draw my gun I’m going to shoot.” Of course, that’s not always feasible.

    If I draw a weapon at all I draw with the absolute intent that I will fire. If you stand down between the time I get my hand on the gun and the time I get my sights on the target fine and good, otherwise there are no warnings, there is no “drop the stuff” I will fire.

    My point is you never draw a gun to intimidate someone or to “detain” them. I don’t think the crook would have hesitated anymore if he held a gun in his hand than he did with the mace, I think he would have put a bullet in the OP.

    Bottom line, OP if you aren’t ready to shoot don’t touch the gun.

    You need to sit down and consider long and hard whether a firearm is the proper defense tool for you
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast