Did I do the right thing? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Did I do the right thing?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    All the fact that he walked away proved was that he got lucky

This seems to be a very grey area when it comes up on forums and a lot of people say “if I draw my gun I’m going to shoot.” Of course, that’s not always feasible.

If I draw a weapon at all I draw with the absolute intent that I will fire. If you stand down between the time I get my hand on the gun and the time I get my sights on the target fine and good, otherwise there are no warnings, there is no “drop the stuff” I will fire.

My point is you never draw a gun to intimidate someone or to “detain” them. I don’t think the crook would have hesitated anymore if he held a gun in his hand than he did with the mace, I think he would have put a bullet in the OP.

Bottom line, OP if you aren’t ready to shoot don’t touch the gun.

You need to sit down and consider long and hard whether a firearm is the proper defense tool for you
    You aren't one to preach, Mr. I'm a coward so I will just save my own ass.

Did I do the right thing?

As others have pointed out, when the SHTF, all the training and mental preparedness in the world doesn't mean that you will pull the trigger if you pull your firearm. I like to think that I would, should a situation arise, but this did get me thinking.

Alone, in an apartment, with a perp standing there without a gun, I can't say I would have pulled the trigger either. He escalates... maces, reaches for something else, or moves towards me, then I would hope that the neural pathway between my brain and my index finger flexor would work like lightning. Because, again, as others have stated, what if he does manage to get to you and get your gun away from you?

However, in my home, with my wife and children, if the perp doesn't immediately drop his weapon(s) and drop to his knees, synapses will be firing.
    'I God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    You aren't one to preach, Mr. I'm a coward so I will just save my own ass.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

5. I also carry at home because of a "front door" incident that my wife quickly slammed the door on. Intercom to determine friend or foe now. I always have my hand on my sidearm when the front rings, I'm behind a corner, with my huge projection TV and home theater equipment as cover. If multiple people at the front door, I grab my long gun, same vantage point. Wish I could afford a complete camera and motion spot light system install, but it's not going to happen.

Be safe, and if I had a perp with pepper spray and a tazer advancing on me, in my own home, invited or not, and I retreated to my last bastion and he shot me with the pepper, I would stop the threat. Warrior mindset. My decision, my consequences. I am no help to my family or myself if I am dead.

My wife, even though she has many sessions with her wheel gun (can't rack slide, crushed arm in accident), does not have the mindset to pull the trigger if a lethal threat advances. She is a "helper" to people, animals, you name it. An honorable pursuit, but I worry when she is alone at home.

An incident at a truck stop at 1:30AM sealed my warrior mindset years ago. BG came-up to me wielding a huge bead breaking tool while I'm under the dash of my car replacing a fuse. Grabbed my .38 special (in glove box) took aim and told him to drop it (I was still lying across the floor, under the dash). He hesitated for a bit, and I started my pull. He immediately dropped the tool and fled. I couldn't sleep for two days after that, the adrenaline hit me a few minutes later and I was shaking and felt like climbing the walls. BG never found. Someone was within a 1/4 inch left of trigger pull of making the worst decision of their life, and it wasn't me.

Believe me, this kind of thing doesn't weigh lightly on a human nervous system, and I could only imagine the added stress if I had stopped the threat. The bad guy was lucky I was using a sidearm with a long pull, that night. Two people went-on to pursue their lives. I only hope one of them didn't kill anyone during a robbery.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Ezkl2230, I agree with the gist of your post. I am curious however, to know which translation you are using to quote this Biblical verse. I have looked at numerous translations and the majority of them say, "The prudent man that sees danger hides.... " or "The prudent man that sees danger takes refuge (in the Lord)...". Only one translation that I have found states what you posted and another is similar.

Here's a link of many translations of that particular verse along with some commentaries. I am curious to know which translation you were using.

Proverbs 22:3 The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.
    It is something of a free translation based on studies I have done of the words used in the verse.

7. Dont turn your back on complete strangers

I think that Treo and lojiber are perfectly correct in their responses on the 1st page. I do carry at home and I would have fired a Mozambique as soon as I saw weapons out.You must admit that it is not a good idea to let people into your house that you don't know, but it's hard to sell or rent property without showing it to prospective renters or buyers.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

The guy was quick, smart and knew what to do to defend himself and get out of the mess he created. Good thing he has some respect for the fact you had the gun in your hand or he would have continued on to take it from you or maybe he didn't have that much faith in his mace. :)

There is a big thing called intuition. In dangerous situations, our minds are assessing every action, every sound, every smell,,, everything,, making decisions so fast you don't even know it.
    Your intuition may have told you that you didn't need to shoot, which you don't want to do unless it is necessary. First because you kill someone, second because you life will be hell for a long time after. You are wondering if you made the right decision by not shooting, try thinking about killing him and think about how that will make you wonder. Something about the way the perp acted probably told you he was done after the macing. Think about it for awhile, you may figure out what it was you saw or heard that told you that.

Now, go shoot targets and playact the scene again and shoot the guy, feel any better?

The guy was quick, smart and knew what to do to defend himself and get out of the mess he created. Good thing he has some respect for the fact you had the gun in your hand or he would have continued on to take it from you or maybe he didn't have that much faith in his mace. :)

There is a big thing called intuition. In dangerous situations, our minds are assessing every action, every sound, every smell,,, everything,, making decisions so fast you don't even know it.
    Your intuition may have told you that you didn't need to shoot, which you don't want to do unless it is necessary. First because you kill someone, second because you life will be hell for a long time after. You are wondering if you made the right decision by not shooting, try thinking about killing him and think about how that will make you wonder. Something about the way the perp acted probably told you he was done after the macing. Think about it for awhile, you may figure out what it was you saw or heard that told you that.

Now, go shoot targets and playact the scene again and shoot the guy, feel any better?

I think you did Right. You saw your life was not in danger and you got the Guy to leave. You would have lost your Gun as Evidence, you may have ended up in a lengthy trial because they felt you weren't justified to shoot, and you possibly would have to clean blood off your walls and floor. The worst thing is your Gun would sit in a Evidence Locker Dirty for months. (don't mind me I'm a clean gun freak, my bad, sorry)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234