Did I do the right thing?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I do the right thing?

Did I do the right thing?

I've been carrying for about six months now and like most of us I had always hoped I would never have to draw my weapon let alone use it. Well, I had an incident last week that still has me a bit shaken up and I'm still not sure if I handled it correctly. As an avid reader of the usacarry.com site I thought I'd look to you fine people for an opinion. So, here is that happen:

I currently live in an apartment as I just relocated a few months ago and just now got around to buying a new home. Since I still had quite a few months left on my lease I decided to place an ad on craigslist (I know!!) for someone to sublet my apartment or just take over the lease. I got an email from a person asking if they could come over and look at the apartment. I said no problem and gave him the address. Before I go further let me clarify. Whenever I leave home I am carrying. I don't however, carry around the house but do have a gun in a couple rooms in case of a break-in. So he shows up, young guy, about 19 or 20. My first thought was "this guy can't afford this place". He asks to see the bedroom so I bring him back and walk away toward my nightstand. My back is to him (not smart in retrospect). He then tells me to turn around. Confused, I turn around and he is pointing two somethings at me. He states he has mace and a Tazer and that he wants my cash, phone and any other valuables. I put my hands in front of me and say something like "no problem man, be cool. My wallet is right here in my nightstand" I turned around and opened my nightstand pull out my Glock 19 which I keep there at all times. I turn back to him and aim straight at him and order him to drop the "stuff". He hit me with the mace but with all the adrenaline in my system I really didn't feel it until later. I realized after this that I had my finger on the trigger and probably had it about 1/2 depressed ready to fire. He backed out of the room and yelled for me to drop my gun or he would call the cops (insert laughter here). I yelled back that in XYZ state I have every right to shoot him and an inch of sheet-rock wouldn't protect him. After about 10 more seconds of yelling back and forth he dropped the mace and tazer and ran out of the apartment. I locked the doors and eventually called the cops who came and took a statement. The cop was actually surprised I didn't shoot him.

Here's where I'm struggling. I had every right to shoot him, he maced me and was pointing two weapons at me. however, I realized that they were both defensive weapons that couldn't incapacitate me unless he got a lot closer (it was the type of taser he would have had to touch me with). I guess I felt my life wasn't in immediate jeopardy so I didn't shoot. What would you have done? Was I wrong in not shooting? Did I risk my life? I'm really torn on this issue. Your feedback would be welcome.

Thanks

I guess in hindsight you did the right thing by not shooting since nobody was harmed. Some don't get that privilege. I think you showed more restraint than most would. If I am in my home, face to face with an attacker and holding a gun there will be a bullet coming out of it. What were his plans after he maced you? What if he got a hold of your gun? If you did shoot him then what would his slimy defense lawyers say was his reason for being in your bedroom? Might claim you invited him in and the toys he brought are because you like it rough. You are alive and not under any suspicion of wrong doing so it is difficult to say you did the wrong thing.

4. I would think at this point since you did not fire, it would be in your best interest to move immediately do not wait. You made this kid look bad, and now that he knows you have a gun he will not be bringing a tazer and mace.

Given you’re alive I can’t say you did the wrong thing but I will say that you need to make up your mind that you will shoot or quit carrying the gun. By not shooting you demonstrated your unwillingness which equals unpreparedness. The crook demonstrated his willingness by “firing” as soon as you presented a threat a more savvy crook would have kicked your ass and taken the gun
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

6. I think you did the right thing because of how it turned out. Obviously you gambled, but you were right. He was a coward. Had he been more prepared you may have lost your life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using USA Carry mobile app

He will now be more aggressive toward his next victim, perhaps tasing at the first chance he gets.

Sent from my ADR6400L using USA Carry mobile app
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Blog Entries
    I think you called his bluff correctly and showed great restraint. However...like treo said, had he been a better criminal you'd have gotten your ass kicked. Probably killed too. My gun does not come out unless I am willing to shoot, and yours shouldn't either. When he hit you with the mace, you were at a severe disadvantage. You need to practice getting off the X.

Don't just "get off the X"... Shoot while doing it.

any idoit that would say for you to drop the gun or they will call the police would probably make himself to be the victim and he was just a good ol boy interested in a apartment and you invited him to the bedroom to rob him and good thing he had mace and barely made it out with his life.

makes me want nanny cams in house just like that lady who was beaten.she would of never been able to convey the malice of that guy.

also glad you ok.:)

Quote Originally Posted by ZRowe24 View Post
    He was a coward.
    How do you figure? the crook attacked as soon as the OP displayed any threat, that's not cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRowe24 View Post
    Had he been more prepared you may have lost your life.
    Again, the second the OP showed any inclination to fight the crook attacked. He demonstrated his preparedness (and the fact that he was far more willing to fight than the OP) by "shooting" the second he was confronted with a shoot/no shoot scenario.

The OP is lucky he's not dead
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast