Hardest/Easiest CCW to obtain - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardest/Easiest CCW to obtain

For a state that requires training, Arkansas must be one of the easier ones. They do require a range test, but your accuracy is not the point, safety is,, you can miss all the targets and as long as you handle your weapon safely, you get your license. Seems odd way of looking at it...

Delaware is pretty hard.
    1. Safety Training: The average cost of this course runs between $250 and $350. The content is dictated by Delaware law and must be administered by an instructor certified by a recognized organization -- most commonly, the NRA. The course covers the handling, cleaning and maintenance of your firearm and ammunition; storing your weapon and child safety; instruction on state laws pertaining to the use of deadly force, purchasing, possession and transportation of firearms; shooting fundamentals and a live fire exercise including the expenditure of at least 100 rounds.

2. Publication of your intent: You must publish your full name, your home address and indicate your intent to make application for a Delaware CCDW in a newspaper, published in your county, that has a circulation of at least 35% percent of the population in your ZIP code. Check your local newspapers if they meet this qualification -- prices for a legal notice can run from $15-$75 depending on the publication. The notice must run at least ten days before you file your application and the newspaper will send you a notarized letter that your ad was run.

3. References: You must have five reference questionnaires completed by people within your county.

4. Photographs: You must supply two 1.5"x1.5" color passport-style photographs (you will need to cut them down to size), taken within the past six months.

5. Fingerprinting: You must make an appointment to be fingerprinted for a background check performed by the state police.

6. Application: You must complete your application and have it notorized. You must file all paperwork, as well as a duplicate copy of all paperwork. The filing fee is $65.00 for the first three years.

AFTER FILING
    Bear in mind that Delaware is a MAY ISSUE state and, even though you may have successfully submitted all required documents, passed the state police background check and Attorney General's investigation, the Judge may, at his discretion, choose to deny you a license.

Typical wait time now is 6 - 8 months.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter911 View Post
    Delaware is pretty hard.
    1. Safety Training: The average cost of this course runs between $250 and $350. The content is dictated by Delaware law and must be administered by an instructor certified by a recognized organization -- most commonly, the NRA. The course covers the handling, cleaning and maintenance of your firearm and ammunition; storing your weapon and child safety; instruction on state laws pertaining to the use of deadly force, purchasing, possession and transportation of firearms; shooting fundamentals and a live fire exercise including the expenditure of at least 100 rounds.

2. Publication of your intent: You must publish your full name, your home address and indicate your intent to make application for a Delaware CCDW in a newspaper, published in your county, that has a circulation of at least 35% percent of the population in your ZIP code. Check your local newspapers if they meet this qualification -- prices for a legal notice can run from $15-$75 depending on the publication. The notice must run at least ten days before you file your application and the newspaper will send you a notarized letter that your ad was run.

3. References: You must have five reference questionnaires completed by people within your county.

4. Photographs: You must supply two 1.5"x1.5" color passport-style photographs (you will need to cut them down to size), taken within the past six months.

5. Fingerprinting: You must make an appointment to be fingerprinted for a background check performed by the state police.

6. Application: You must complete your application and have it notorized. You must file all paperwork, as well as a duplicate copy of all paperwork. The filing fee is $65.00 for the first three years.

AFTER FILING
    Bear in mind that Delaware is a MAY ISSUE state and, even though you may have successfully submitted all required documents, passed the state police background check and Attorney General's investigation, the Judge may, at his discretion, choose to deny you a license.

Typical wait time now is 6 - 8 months.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Yeh no kidding!!!!! One silver lining, if you call it that, they have been acting more like a "Shall Issue" lately. I have not heard of anyone being denied. Also, a second silver lining, Delaware is a OC friendly state. So I OC'd while I waited for my CC to go through.

SD is, by far, the easiest permit.

Form is barely a half-page in size, no intrusive questions - just basic ID and check box that you're not a bad person. Hand that and $10 bill to the clerk and you're good. Temporary permit will be in your mailbox within a week, laminated card within a couple more.

No photos, no prints, no training, no nothing!

The only slightly annoying thing is you have the fill the form out there, in person. Can't bring a copy home for the wife to fill out for her renewal. But you do it at the sheriff's office downtown, where, surprise, you can carry.
    Never argue with a red-haired witch. It wastes your breath and only delays the inevitable. --the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt

Yeh no kidding!!!!! One silver lining, if you call it that, they have been acting more like a "Shall Issue" lately. I have not heard of anyone being denied.
    I get this. I've lived in Alabama since 1992 and never realized until five or six years ago that it was a may issue state. Permission slips are so easy to get, and in the 20+ years we've been here, we've had them in three different counties, each of them just as easy.

Just last Thursday (Aug. 1st) we went from may issue to shall issue with an almost completely revamped code section on carry etc. going into effect that day. Coincidentally, we have kept our renewal date Aug. 1st for the last 10 years or so, so we went last Thur. to do it again. It literally took no more than five minutes for both of us to walk out with our permits in-hand. Of all the things you said about Delaware's restrictive carry laws, the fact that you have to wait 6 - 8 months was the most shocking to me.

Also, a second silver lining, Delaware is a OC friendly state. So I OC'd while I waited for my CC to go through.
    Yeah, OC was also made "more" legal here than it was before. I OC on my own property, but have just never felt the urge to otherwise. Might take advantage of the new law here and there. Haven't had an uncontrollable urge to do it yet though.

Another thing you have to worry about is the stigma of having such a blithering idiot as Joe "Bite Me" Biden hailing from your state giving the nation advice on the use shotguns that would get people in most jurisdictions arrested if they heeded it! I will try my best not to hold that against you though.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    SD is, by far, the easiest permit.

Form is barely a half-page in size, no intrusive questions - just basic ID and check box that you're not a bad person. Hand that and $10 bill to the clerk and you're good. Temporary permit will be in your mailbox within a week, laminated card within a couple more.
    I think we've got you beat. We don't fill out a form at all here. Hand the receptionist at the Sheriff's office your Driver's License, and she takes all the info from that and fills in the blanks on the triplicate permission slip. We have to physically sign each copy, and then she hands us our permanent copy and we're on our way out the door. One copy stays in her office, the other one goes to Montgomery.

Price varies from county to county. It's $15 bucks (per year) in our county, so you've got us beat on that score, but I know of at least one county where it's only $7.50. I don't know of anywhere that it's over $20 bucks.

We do also have to go to the Sheriff's Office in person to do the deal (shrug). Pretty easy in both places I would say. Still, I'd be happier if there were no permission slips required at all, for both you and me.

Blues

Shotgun Joe is the least of our worries. His good for nothing, anti 2A son Beau is our Attorney General who thinks he is a law maker telling our Governor and Legislators what laws need to made and passed. He is an Obama leg humper trying to make his way to Washington.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123