To carry hot or not? - Page 10
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: To carry hot or not?

For all the people that intend to chamber around when you draw I have to ask what are you going to do when you get a FTF at the worst possible moment?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

OK, you have made the decision to carry for self-defense for what ever reason, as we all have.

I see the decision to basically carry an unloaded gun (empty chamber) as a sign of doubt, that you are ready to use deadly force to defend yourself.

A safe gun, there are many on the market. Drop safety, trigger safety, grip safety, thumb safety, etc. You don't need all, except drop safety is a must.
    A safe carry method, holster designed for the gun that protects the trigger. A holster is part of the safety system for a carry gun.
    A safe carry practice - put it in the holster, and leave it alone.
    Safe handling practices - give your full attention to the gun when you handle it. Never idly try to holster (or unholster) a loaded firearm while also scanning your dresser for your wallet, keys or anything else you are taking with you.

There are some guns that should be carried unchambered. We see articles all the time where a gun fell out of a pocket and discharged. WTF were they doing carrying such a POS, and in a pocket. Don't carry such a gun, or any gun just in a pocket, tucked in a belt (Mexican carry).
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

I carry, hot.

I carry, cold.

Mostly though I prefer to carry when it is just, warm. More comfortable...don't need a coat...and seldom sweat too much.

Quote Originally Posted by jfjfxray View Post
    I'm still fairly new to carrying, so my question is..should I carry hot or not?..why why not? Thank you for any info, and remember I'm still new to carrying so I want as much info as I can get so I can make an educated decision. Sorry if this has been asked already.
    The question you need to ask yourself if you want to carry cold, will you have time to make the gun ready to fire? Not just with two hands but also if you only have one or the other hand available. Only way to find out is to have someone time you (while using dummy ammo) in both methods and under different circumstances.

I my mind, the less I have to do in preparation to defend myself the greater the chance I have of surviving. YMMV

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by RJT CCW View Post
    The question you need to ask yourself if you want to carry cold, will you have time to make the gun ready to fire? Not just with two hands but also if you only have one or the other hand available. Only way to find out is to have someone time you (while using dummy ammo) in both methods and under different circumstances.

I my mind, the less I have to do in preparation to defend myself the greater the chance I have of surviving. YMMV
    Actually, I view this topic as an objective reality equation, rather than a subjective preference type of thing. As such, what you advise above is right in line with what the empirical data demonstrates is true, and anyone whose "mileage may vary" on your evaluation is bucking objective reality for no rational reason that I've heard anyone even attempt to articulate. I've seen some irrational excuses offered, but not rational reasons.

There really is only one right answer to the question of this thread. Even for beginners, the right answer is to carry your weapon in the one and only manner that allows you to bring it to bear in the fastest, easiest and most efficient way possible - with a round in the chamber. Anyone whose "mileage may vary" on that premise hasn't done their homework and is not serious about being prepared to defend their or others' lives with a firearm.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

To carry hot or not?

Always!

8. To carry hot or not?

I carry hot and ready every day. My 2 favorite carry sidearms are ruger lcp380, and the big daddy, glock 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Nok View Post
    i carry a glock 27. mexican carry. and no way in hell am i going to carry hot. a bullet to my balls might as well be a bullet to my heart.

'nom sayin?

:coffee:
    As in "without a holster"? - that is Mexican carry... and it is foolish.

I carry AIWB - and I have no fear I will shoot my junk. Never knew the 27 would go of by itself.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    For all the people that intend to chamber around when you draw I have to ask what are you going to do when you get a FTF at the worst possible moment?
    What are you going to do in a close defensive during situation when your of hand is fending off a blow to the face. What would you have done on your back with Trayvon Martin pounding you into the pavement? It is fantasy to think you will always have time to chamber a round.

But everyone should do what works for them -even if, to me, it sounds like training deficits.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

your finger is your safety

Rule #1) all guns Are always loaded !
    (2) never point the muzzle of your firearm at anything you are not prepared to destroy.
    (3) never place your finger on the trigger unless there you have identified the threat !
    (4) know what the target area and what is beyond..

That said, carry whichever way you are comfortable! Practice all phases of firearm safety, familiarity and tactical exercises.
    FYI, Glocks are the weapon of choice for special agents of the FBI as studies have shown that even experienced operators forget to SWEEP the SAFETY under duress in a gun fight.. That in mind, would you be ready to rack a round and sweep a safety Anya man charging you w an edged weapon 20 Feet away ? I doubt it!

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast