To carry hot or not? - Page 16
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: To carry hot or not?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post

I am saying a tactical sidearm is a big responsibility, and for someone to own one, and NOT use it in accordance outlined fully in the owners manual, is not a prudent choice for myself.

Own a table saw? Have you removed the finger guard, so it is easier to use? Would make typing in this forum more difficult, once the Natural Selection process kicks in, to thin the herd.

Once a bullet starts traveling down the barrel of a gun, there is no turning it back around again.

My posts on here, only say how I conduct myself, with my firearms, and to warn others, that might listen, to be careful.
    Does the owners manual say anything about it being ok to shoot someone in self defense? If not, you may want to write them and get them to add it. Otherwise you wouldn't be allowed because that would be a use of the gun not in accordance with the owners manual.

3. To carry hot or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    Asking a cop what they do is like asking a magician what deck of cards they prefer? Purchasing that deck of cards, will not replace the 10,000 hours mastering slight of hand.

It is all about mastering.

Personally, I think 99% of forum people get a little "expert" in their responses, that trully does not belong. On golf forums, everybody gives advice like they were Arnold Palmer.
    You think cops have "mastered" their guns? I have gone to the range and shot and also talked guns with many cops around town. I can handle a gun better than most, and I definitely know more about them than most. Most of those guys haven't shot much ever, and learned what little they know in the academy. And trust me, just having gone to the academy and them qualifying on the range does not make them a "master" of anything. You put way too much faith in local law enforcement firearms training. And even then, they spend most of their time teaching them how to shoot, and not very much at all on safely handling a gun with a bullet in the chamber. At least, not as much as you could teach yourself with just 5 minutes and some common sense. Slight of hand? Yeah, go to the academy and see how many cops you see fine tuning their "slight of hand". And our local Sheriff's department sells their Glocks every so often to buy new ones for the department, and every one of them will tell you that those guns are practically brand new. The only time they get used is when they have to qualify every so often. You call that thousands of hours of "mastering slight of hand"? Haha, you make me laugh. Sounds like you're just way to afraid of guns as someone else said.

As Dr. Evil said on Austin Powers: "When you're in the main chamber, trying using the big boy voice."

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Otherwise you wouldn't be allowed because that would be a use of the gun not in accordance with the owners manual.
    Doesn't follow fallacy. Defensive firearms use is outside owner's manual scope.

I can handle a gun better than most, and I definitely know more about them than most.
    Says you. -Argument to ignorance fallacy. (John Locke)
    You put way too much faith in local law enforcement firearms training.
    They have more than most, on average -enough to support the poster's contention. (begging the question - fail)
    And our local Sheriff's department sells their Glocks every so often to buy new ones for the department, and every one of them will tell you that those guns are practically brand new.
    They take good care of them, so what?
    As Dr. Evil said on Austin Powers: "When you're in the main chamber, trying using the big boy voice."
    That would imply yourself among the big boys? Now that there is real funny, cowboy!

Dr. Evil your hero, sonny?

6. To carry hot or not?

Quote Originally Posted by kwimby View Post
    Says you. -Argument to ignorance fallacy. (John Locke)
    Says me from experience, yes. Didn't know I needed a notary.
    They have more than most, on average -enough to support the poster's contention. (begging the question - fail)
    Considering most have none, more than most could range anywhere from barely more than none to a lot. Knowing how much they have had personally, I can say that it does not make them anymore qualified to carry with a round in the chamber than anyone else, including myself, who is inclined to do so.
    They take good care of them, so what?
    Glad you like taking what I say out of context. "So what" is that they rarely ever shoot them. So if they rarely ever shoot them, where do these thousands of hours of training come from that the gentleman was referring to before? (And I use the term loosely when I say "gentleman")
    That would imply yourself among the big boys? Now that there is real funny, cowboy!
    Never claimed to be. But I know how to at least use my big boy voice and not sound like I'm frightened at the thought of putting a bullet and a gun in the same room together. So sorry, I'm not catching your humor...
    Dr. Evil your hero, sonny?
    Didn't know quoting a movie required that the quoted be the quoter's hero. Guess I'll have to choose my quotes more carefully now that I know the quote police is out on patrol.

Andey, just excuse kwimby... he's one of our resident trolls. Most here just laugh at everything he posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Guns are just another tool to cops, and one that most of them never have to use in the line of duty. I'm certain that they are much more proficient in tools that they use regularly - cars, batons, handcuffs and computers, for example.
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    I'm certain that they are much more proficient in tools that they use regularly...
    Yeah, you'd think people that spend so much time and energy arguing fallacious positions on the Internet would be better at it, too.

Shrug.

Please do not disrespect law enforcement officers. They may not be GrandMasters in the USPSA but they are masters in their careers. Just like any profession or hobby (yes shooting is a hobby) some are better than others. I am a real good shooter on the range and spent many hours at USPSA matches to gain better speed and accuracy. I was also in the armed services that taught me other tactics and techniques as firearms goes. I also spent time as a law enforcement officer that taught me other aspects in weapons (long gun, shot gun, handgun) and I am also a NRA pistol instructor.

That said I will be the first to say I am no expert in any of the above mentioned. I do take offense to some person saying law enforcement are basically amatures when it comes to firearms. You have to step in the shoes as a street cop to understand why I take offense to that. Cops spend many hours of training and not all of it is in firearms. I would stand next to any cop as my back up before any gun hoe guy on this site who claims to be a better shot than the average cop. Why?, because that cop will know when and how to use deadly force and the proper levels of force by following the use of force continuum set by his agency. Some guy that spends thousands of hours shooting a peice of paper or metal plate doesn't have a clue what to do when that target is moving, running or the target (suspect) is shooting back at you or is trying to stab you.

So please reframe from talking cr-p about law enforcement shooting or their level of proficiency. They may not win a pistol match but they will do the job that only a handful on this message board have actually done.

Yeah, you'd think people that spend so much time and energy arguing fallacious positions on the Internet would be better at it, too.

Shrug.
    Well, looks like you'd better keep trying.....
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast