To carry hot or not? - Page 17
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 184

Thread: To carry hot or not?

  1. Quote Originally Posted by walknotinfear View Post
    Please do not disrespect law enforcement officers. They may not be GrandMasters in the USPSA but they are masters in their careers. Just like any profession or hobby (yes shooting is a hobby) some are better than others. I am a real good shooter on the range and spent many hours at USPSA matches to gain better speed and accuracy. I was also in the armed services that taught me other tactics and techniques as firearms goes. I also spent time as a law enforcement officer that taught me other aspects in weapons (long gun, shot gun, handgun) and I am also a NRA pistol instructor.

    That said I will be the first to say I am no expert in any of the above mentioned. I do take offense to some person saying law enforcement are basically amatures when it comes to firearms. You have to step in the shoes as a street cop to understand why I take offense to that. Cops spend many hours of training and not all of it is in firearms. I would stand next to any cop as my back up before any gun hoe guy on this site who claims to be a better shot than the average cop. Why?, because that cop will know when and how to use deadly force and the proper levels of force by following the use of force continuum set by his agency. Some guy that spends thousands of hours shooting a peice of paper or metal plate doesn't have a clue what to do when that target is moving, running or the target (suspect) is shooting back at you or is trying to stab you.

    So please reframe from talking cr-p about law enforcement shooting or their level of proficiency. They may not win a pistol match but they will do the job that only a handful on this message board have actually done.
    I'm not bashing cops by any means. That's the line of work I'm planning on going in to. As a matter of fact, I've cleared all my background checks and interviews and everything and have been hired, just waiting on them to tell me when to start. So I definitely have respect for the field. My point was that just because they carry a gun does not make them experts with them and put them on a "do as I say and not as I do" type basis. Carrying with a round in the chamber, as this thread is about, does not require super extensive training. It requires a little common sense and some basic knowledge about gun safety.

    But as for cops always knowing the proper level of force to use, all I can say to that is this: http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/06/07/...meless-beatin/

    One of my passions for law enforcement comes from the numerous encounters that I and others that I know have had with law enforcement officers where the officer just can't handle the pressure of the job and takes it out on the "suspect" he is dealing with. I've never been the victim of physical abuse by an officer, but I have been arrested because of an officer's ego, and the fact that he didn't want to be proven wrong even though he was. I was 19 years old with a pistol in the center console of my truck. Nothing I was doing was wrong, but the officer swore up and down that you had to be 21 to be in possession of a handgun, which is not the case. So I want to go into the field and hopefully bring some level headedness to it. Hopefully...

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by kwimby View Post
    Yeah, you'd think people that spend so much time and energy arguing fallacious positions on the Internet would be better at it, too.

    Shrug.
    Ok, we get it, you just learned all the different ways you can use the word "fallacy" and you're wanting to show off. Good job. Consider this your pat on the back. Now go away.

  4. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I'm not bashing cops by any means. That's the line of work I'm planning on going in to. As a matter of fact, I've cleared all my background checks and interviews and everything and have been hired, just waiting on them to tell me when to start. So I definitely have respect for the field. My point was that just because they carry a gun does not make them experts with them and put them on a "do as I say and not as I do" type basis. Carrying with a round in the chamber, as this thread is about, does not require super extensive training. It requires a little common sense and some basic knowledge about gun safety.

    But as for cops always knowing the proper level of force to use, all I can say to that is this: Trial set for ex-Fullerton cops in homeless beating case | 89.3 KPCC

    One of my passions for law enforcement comes from the numerous encounters that I and others that I know have had with law enforcement officers where the officer just can't handle the pressure of the job and takes it out on the "suspect" he is dealing with. I've never been the victim of physical abuse by an officer, but I have been arrested because of an officer's ego, and the fact that he didn't want to be proven wrong even though he was. I was 19 years old with a pistol in the center console of my truck. Nothing I was doing was wrong, but the officer swore up and down that you had to be 21 to be in possession of a handgun, which is not the case. So I want to go into the field and hopefully bring some level headedness to it. Hopefully...
    I do not and have never hired cops but have sat on a few oral boards in the past. How do you expect to get a job as a cop with an arrest record? Was that arrest wiped off your records (expunged)? And even if the arrest record was expunged you are going to have a difficult time getting hired because of that arrest. It may not be a disqualifying issue if the arrest was expunged but you will have to disclose it during the application process. I will bet a cup of coffee that the panel members will weigh heavy against you for that arrest and they will fail you after the interview. Just my opinion.

  5. #164
    AndyHall,

    Please don't refer do a news article about a cop on trial. Every profession has its bad apples. What surprises me is you want to become a police officer but than you speak negatively about the them on this message board.

  6. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by walknotinfear View Post
    AndyHall,

    Please don't refer do a news article about a cop on trial. Every profession has its bad apples. What surprises me is you want to become a police officer but than you speak negatively about the them on this message board.
    Perfect example of the "brotherhood of the badge." When a fellow officer does something wrong, do everything you can to cover it up and ignore it, instead of dealing with the bad apples. This is the major reason that the general public has lost some respect for LE.
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

    Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

  7. #166
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by walknotinfear View Post
    AndyHall,

    Please don't refer do a news article about a cop on trial. Every profession has its bad apples. What surprises me is you want to become a police officer but than you speak negatively about the them on this message board.
    Not to answer for him...but in his last post he explained exactly why he wants to join the police force which correlates with his negative views of them...

    Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. Quote Originally Posted by walknotinfear View Post
    I do not and have never hired cops but have sat on a few oral boards in the past. How do you expect to get a job as a cop with an arrest record? Was that arrest wiped off your records (expunged)? And even if the arrest record was expunged you are going to have a difficult time getting hired because of that arrest. It may not be a disqualifying issue if the arrest was expunged but you will have to disclose it during the application process. I will bet a cup of coffee that the panel members will weigh heavy against you for that arrest and they will fail you after the interview. Just my opinion.
    The entire thing was completely expunged. I have disclosed it in my interview and like I said, I HAVE been hired. Having been arrested isn't that bad. People who do the hiring know that not everyone is perfect and people make mistakes. The guy that teaches my Sociology of Law Enforcement class is a Lt. who does all the hiring for the county next to us and I've spoken with him about it. He said as long as you're honest, it's a non-issue.

  9. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    The entire thing was completely expunged. I have disclosed it in my interview and like I said, I HAVE been hired. Having been arrested isn't that bad. People who do the hiring know that not everyone is perfect and people make mistakes. The guy that teaches my Sociology of Law Enforcement class is a Lt. who does all the hiring for the county next to us and I've spoken with him about it. He said as long as you're honest, it's a non-issue.
    Conrads on getting hired. Do me a favor. Get back to us after you spend a year on the road and we will see if your thoughts about the profession change. You as a new cop will not be able to save the world or change anything in a department. There will be bad apples and cops who go over the top and maybe bend the rules a bit. Some advice, your first year on the job keep negative comments to yourself about other officers in your department. Once they see you are only looking out for yourself, that you are trying to clean up the streets of bad guys and bad cops, you will find yourself all alone wishing you didn't p-ss off your fellow cops. I thought the same way years ago and quickly found out differently and fast. Once you are on your own just do the job the best you can without getting killed. You will see the bad cops but just do your job, I am not saying lie but don't go out of your way and stab a fellow officer in the back because in the long run you will only hurt yourself.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by walknotinfear View Post
    Conrads on getting hired. Do me a favor. Get back to us after you spend a year on the road and we will see if your thoughts about the profession change. You as a new cop will not be able to save the world or change anything in a department. There will be bad apples and cops who go over the top and maybe bend the rules a bit. Some advice, your first year on the job keep negative comments to yourself about other officers in your department. Once they see you are only looking out for yourself, that you are trying to clean up the streets of bad guys and bad cops, you will find yourself all alone wishing you didn't p-ss off your fellow cops. I thought the same way years ago and quickly found out differently and fast. Once you are on your own just do the job the best you can without getting killed. You will see the bad cops but just do your job, I am not saying lie but don't go out of your way and stab a fellow officer in the back because in the long run you will only hurt yourself.
    I think the term is "Brotherhood in Blue". But yeah I kinda figured that. I mean being a bit over the top is one thing. I just don't think I'll be able to sit back if I see something just terribly unethical. There's only so much one's conscience can bear.

  11. #170
    ezkl2230 Guest
    In the Chicago area, pro-carry owners made the argument for fanny pack carry, you're only 6 seconds from safety - unzip your pack, pull out and insert your mag, work the slide, and come on target. I understand that they're talking about off body carry, but a lot can happen in 6 seconds.

    Similarly, it still takes a couple of seconds for you to draw your firearm, work the slide (assuming you don't fumble with it because of panic, which adds seconds), and then bring it on target. Additional seconds lead to injury and death.

    If you're going to carry, carry hot.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast