To carry hot or not? - Page 2
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: To carry hot or not?

One of the few useful things to come of the huge publicity involving George Zimmerman is the knowledge that if he had been carrying with an empty chamber, he'd most likely be dead now.
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

I carry 9+1 in chamber. My gun has a manual safety, I just train with it. If I ever get a Glock I'd probably keep swiping my thumb looking for the safety.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

4. I want to preface this by saying that it may seem harsh but it is probably the best safety advice I can give. Oh, it is also not a bad question. That being said, when you carry a firearm for the purpose of protecting yourself or your family you need to be completely resigned to the fact that if you unholster that weapon that you are serious enough to use it. If you are not serious enough to use it you are endangering yourself and others. I assume that you like most of us hope and pray that we will never have to use our weapons in that way but we must assume that if you are carrying the weapon it's for a reason. Carrying a weapon that is not ready to fire is worse than not carrying at all because you may be supplying your attacker with a weapon if you have to chamber a round before defending yourself against him. This is a waste of precious moments that could be the difference between life and death. If your weapon is not "hot" as you put it leave it locked up safely at home for your own sake. I am not trying to be a jerk it is just very important to have the correct mind set when it comes to this responsibility. Additionally, as stated in earlier posts, practice makes perfect. Do it until it becomes second nature. Be safe and good luck.

5. I've learned my lesson, so I won't respond to this. Oh, wait, I think I just did! Well, since I've already responded, I'll just leave you with this: If the question is asked, then it should be considered. You'll find that people on this site won't even consider an empty chamber. They'll dismiss it without much thought. I'm surprised they haven't already resorted to name calling or worse, just because you asked. My advice is do what you feel is best after you've weighed the pros and cons.

My Wife and I have carried "Hot" from the very first day. Also we used to OC in AZ. for years, and always had a round chambered. Just be aware at all times the condition of your firearm, and act accordingly. The longer you do it, the easier it gets. We keep 3 loaded and ready to go guns in our house. We have no children and very few visitors that get past the den door. Yes we are recluse I guess, but our hobbies keep us busy here at the home.
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

7. I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth. For legal advice ask a lawyer.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Those who accept second best must learn to live with mediocrity. - pafindr

8. Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I carry 9+1 in chamber. My gun has a manual safety, I just train with it. If I ever get a Glock I'd probably keep swiping my thumb looking for the safety.
    My first EDC was a Glock 21 .45 - I too asked the same questions and carried for a couple months non chambered. Then I found I could add a real safety and been carrying chambered ever since.

If you get a Glock just add a Cominolli thumb safety and you are good to go.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by phillip69 View Post
    My first EDC was a Glock 21 .45 - I too asked the same questions and carried for a couple months non chambered. Then I found I could add a real safety and been carrying chambered ever since.

If you get a Glock just add a Cominolli thumb safety and you are good to go.
    Thousands of Glocks are carried safely on a daily basis without one, so if he gets a Glock, he's good to go, period.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

10. Carry hot, you may not have a chance to chamber a round.

11. I agree, carry with a round chambered and then reload the magazine to full capacity. If you are worried try carrying with an empty chamber for a month or so. I'm willing to bet that if you are carrying correctly in proper holster that completely covers the trigger, you will never find the trigger has been "pulled" on your weapon. That should give you the confidence to carry with one in the chamber.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast