To carry hot or not? - Page 5
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: To carry hot or not?

[QUOTE=ChDangerfield;457091]Glock does not recommend one in the chamber for liability sake.

Yes, for THEIR Liability, what about YOURS?

Quote Originally Posted by JimSmitty View Post
    I live in/travel in Northern NH and VT. Not much of a need to carry hot. If I lived in Bridgeport, CT, I would carry hot always.
    Ok, All BS aside, I'm not trying to be a douche, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's no different than the "I live in a good neighborhood, I don't need a gun" argument. Do you think an armed encounter with a criminal is somehow different in the mountains of NH or VT vs Bridgeport. If you need your gun, you need your gun RIGHT THEN, and you need it usable, period! I like a lot of people were a little weird carrying with one in the pipe at first. Then a did a training course with some dummy guns that mechanically functioned the same. We had our "threats" come at us in all different ways, we carried OC and CC and saw first hand how much of a bad idea carrying unloaded really is. I was "shot" and disarmed by the badguy mulitple times when unloaded, only once when "loaded". It was a HUGE eye-opener. I got over my fear of carrying hot THAT day!

Quote Originally Posted by jfjfxray View Post
    I'm still fairly new to carrying, so my question is..should I carry hot or not?..why why not? Thank you for any info, and remember I'm still new to carrying so I want as much info as I can get so I can make an educated decision. Sorry if this has been asked already.
    An unloaded gun is a club. Load it, carry it and don't pet it. You'll get comfortable with this after a while.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    I carry chambered always like most have said the BG is always got one chambered but, that being said do what's most comfortable. You have to feel right with it so, whatever you choose chambered or not it’s better than having nothing. If you are uncomfortable which is understandable you may want to get some dummy rounds or snap caps and walk around the house with it or if you have a lot of property walk around the grounds or gun range if allowable and practice holstering and un-holstering and whatever else makes you uncomfortable. Practice, practice and practice good luck in your decision but, most important be safe and do not be rushed or pressured into something you’re not comfortable with.
    Quote Originally Posted by MackTruck11 View Post
    I agree with NJ, you must do what is comfortable. When I was new to carry I carried completely empty for a week to get used to it. then I went to clip w/o chamber. It ddnt take long to get used to carrying cold. But the idea is to be able and prepared to carry hot. As all have said, you wont have time to rack it. I also consider liklihood of use- on my daily routine I go from home garage to work lot and park with an armed guard - so I still carry cold sometimes. But if I go ANYWHERE else, Im chambered.
    the holster is also a big reason. most will tell you, dont skimp on a holster. get one that protects it and is reliable, and it will help you have confidence in the condition of your firearm and carry method.
    Are we to understand that you're constantly chambering and unchambering rounds in your carry weapon depending on what your destination is when you walk out the door? You're playing with your gun too much if that's the case.

There are active threads right now (and nearly always on this forum) dealing with preference issues such as caliber (9mm vs. .45 ACP, or whatever), IWB vs. OWB vs. ankle vs. shoulder holsters, auto-loader vs. wheel gun etc. In every one of those types of threads, if I participate (for what seems like the ten thousandth time), I will always advise people to do whatever they're comfortable with. I will say it's one of the things associated with the exercise of your freedom to choose your own way.

This is different. This thread was started by someone who said they were new to carrying. They were asking, not for advice on what preference they should develop, but on a good tactics issue. The OP was clear that he was trying to gather good information from which to make an educated decision. This is not a subjective, feelings or comfort-based issue. There is clear and unambiguous data available that plainly demonstrates the tactical advantages of carrying "hot" as the OP referred to Condition 1 or Condition 2 carry. One of those data-points was a video in this post by pafindr. Advanced tactical pistol, shotgun and rifle courses will all instruct on C1 and/or C2 carry (depending on type of weapon) for precisely the reasons demonstrated in that video.

If you're going to give advice based on the comfort level of the person you're advising, ask them how comfortable they will be with leaving their families fatherless/motherless or with a dead son or daughter, because that is what tactics training is all about - avoiding death. It's not about avoiding discomfort or training to adapt to one's feelings about carrying chambered or not. It's about training to stay alive when some animal decides he's willing to severely hurt or kill you for whatever you have that he wants.

It is terrible advice to tell someone who is new to carrying a weapon to do what feels right for you. Do what is tactically sound. Carry chambered, period.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I don't carry hot.
    Yes, time is always of the essence. But I have not put enough practice into drawing and removing safety to be comfortable with it. It takes a LOT of practice and constant practice to be proficient enough to be safe. And being safe is as important as protection.
    Accidentally shooting yourself or God forbid, someone else, gives us all a bad name.

My sister-in-law shot my brother in the leg, with three young children in the room. I know of several other instances where people shot their foot or leg.

Quote Originally Posted by dracer View Post
    all modern pistols have a hammer block ( or striker block ) so they are as safe as you are
    Incorrect. My SR1911 is a Model 70, no block.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I am sure it is agreed that everyone is free to carry as they see fit. My thought after reading many of these posts is that there has to be consistency in the way you carry.
    Developing muscle memory is a matter of training your body what to do when your brain is processing other data.
    If you are carrying chambered then not chambered, you are not going to react properly when the time comes that you need your weapon.
    Training isn't about range day and squeezing the trigger, that's the last step in the training process.
    I try to carry the same 1911 cocked and locked all the time. It has a thumb safety and I train to take the thumb safety off as I draw the weapon from my holster.
    The act of lifting my shirt high with my left hand, drawing with my right, sweeping the safety off and pointing on target have to be imprinted in my muscles. The motions are second nature.
    Rarely do I carry my smaller gun, it is a Ruger SR9c, it also has a thumb safety so the sweeping motion is the same. I wear it at 4:00 just like the 1911.

No matter how you decide to carry be sure your training is frequent, performed in a safe manner, and complete. Better good with a gun than lucky, but I'll take both.

Quote Originally Posted by devo-j View Post
    I don't carry hot.
    Yes, time is always of the essence. But I have not put enough practice into drawing and removing safety to be comfortable with it. It takes a LOT of practice and constant practice to be proficient enough to be safe. And being safe is as important as protection.
    Accidentally shooting yourself or God forbid, someone else, gives us all a bad name.

My sister-in-law shot my brother in the leg, with three young children in the room. I know of several other instances where people shot their foot or leg.
    OMG, People you know should not own guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    Incorrect. My SR1911 is a Model 70, no block.
    My RIA does not either

Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jfjfxray View Post
    I'm still fairly new to carrying, so my question is..should I carry hot or not?..why why not? Thank you for any info, and remember I'm still new to carrying so I want as much info as I can get so I can make an educated decision. Sorry if this has been asked already.
    Do you leave a round out of a revolver? The answer is no. That type of firearm is intended to be run "hot" (your choice of wording).

As such, any pistol is designed to be run with a round chambered. Depending on your specific model, you have many safeties that you need to be aware of. You should also practice drawing (unloaded of course) and releasing any external safety (if there is one) until it becomes instinctual for you to do so. They call this muscle memory. Muscle memory is critical because, if you are in a life/death situation, your adrenaline will be coursing through you and you will react, not act. Therefore, you need to be practiced at drawing effectively.

The other thing that I will remind you of is the four rules of safe gun handling:

1) All guns are loaded. (this is a state of mind how you treat every gun)
    2) Never cross over or point the muzzle at anything you do not wish to destroy.
    3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and made the conscious decision to fire.
    4) Be aware of your target, what is in front and what is beyond.

If you practice with your specific model firearm and keep conscious the four rules spelled out before you, then you will dispel any fear of having a round in the chamber, because that firearm is only going to go off when you decide for it to go off.

There are a litany of reasons to not have one in the chamber... too slow if you are in a situation that requires you to react quickly, too noisy if you are in a situation in which you are trying to take cover or be concealed, you may be too scared and too shaky to rack the slide appropriately and have a jammed weapon when it is most critical are just a few good reasons to not have your weapon "cold".
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Itís actually been a month or so since this thread has come up.

This is what decided me, when I first started carrying the people around me were all 1911 aficionados.
    They all carried their firearms cocked in a holster with a retention strap; the strap went between the hammer and the firing pin (which isnít a bad Idea).
    Anyway my gun was an S&W Model 915 with a decocker. Not knowing any better I carried it in the holster cocked and unlocked with the retention strap between the hammer and firing pin.

DISCLAIMER: What I just described is absolutely an unsafe way to carry a firearm.

Having said that I carried it that way for about 6 month before someone squared me away and the pistol didnít fire ever.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast