To carry hot or not? - Page 6
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: To carry hot or not?

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I'd be curious to know if you've ever been advised by a source which you trust to not carry with one in the chamber (I assume that's what you mean by "hot"), and if so, why did you consider the advice to be credible or reasonable?
    Blues
    Actually, yeah, I've heard something like that. At a women's CC class, some were nervous about the idea of carrying with a round in the chamber, so the instructor advised that you carry without it... at first. Once you get comfortable with your purse or holster and you've convinced your brain that nothing bad will happen, then start carrying with a round chambered. He also suggested carrying (unloaded) around the house so you could randomly practice drawing and prove to yourself that you can carry without accidentally shooting yourself. His idea was that carrying without a round chambered is better than not carrying at all, and whatever it took to get these women to carry was a good thing.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    OMG, People you know should not own guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by devo-j View Post
    I don't carry hot.
    Yes, time is always of the essence. But I have not put enough practice into drawing and removing safety to be comfortable with it. It takes a LOT of practice and constant practice to be proficient enough to be safe. And being safe is as important as protection.
    Accidentally shooting yourself or God forbid, someone else, gives us all a bad name.

My sister-in-law shot my brother in the leg, with three young children in the room. I know of several other instances where people shot their foot or leg.

Not so much people you know should not own guns, but get some proper training.

Training is free if one wants it.

Knowledge, Skills, Attitude.

Thousands of you tube videos by knowledgeable instructors on gun safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    Not so much people you know should not own guns, but get some proper training. Training is free if one wants it. Thousands of you tube videos by knowledgeable instructors on gun safety.
    I stand by my original post.
    There are some people who should just not own guns.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    Actually, yeah, I've heard something like that. At a women's CC class, some were nervous about the idea of carrying with a round in the chamber, so the instructor advised that you carry without it... at first. Once you get comfortable with your purse or holster and you've convinced your brain that nothing bad will happen, then start carrying with a round chambered. He also suggested carrying (unloaded) around the house so you could randomly practice drawing and prove to yourself that you can carry without accidentally shooting yourself. His idea was that carrying without a round chambered is better than not carrying at all, and whatever it took to get these women to carry was a good thing.
    As a temporary suggestion for the specific purpose of training yourself to be as comfortable as you can be, I don't have a problem with that advice, as long as the "temporary" part is pretty short. Unloaded draw drills and target acquisition drills are great advice too. There are numerous unloaded drills you can do to train your muscle memory and reflexes, and the great thing about them is that they don't cost a dime.

The OP's question was a general one though. The wayI read it, s/he was asking for advice for all-the-time carry. There is only one correct answer, tactically-speaking, to that question; always carry ready to rock without adding artificial obstacles to the process of drawing, aiming and firing.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Itís actually been a month or so since this thread has come up.

This is what decided me, when I first started carrying the people around me were all 1911 aficionados.
    They all carried their firearms cocked in a holster with a retention strap; the strap went between the hammer and the firing pin (which isnít a bad Idea).
    Anyway my gun was an S&W Model 915 with a decocker. Not knowing any better I carried it in the holster cocked and unlocked with the retention strap between the hammer and firing pin.

DISCLAIMER: What I just described is absolutely an unsafe way to carry a firearm.

Having said that I carried it that way for about 6 month before someone squared me away and the pistol didnít fire ever.
    This sounds like how you carry an XD. The striker back and round chambered. No thumb safety to flip on. Am I wrong on this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app

As someone has already pointed out, quite correctly, the OP is new to carrying a handgun for protection.

I would highly suggest you read your owners manual front to back and understand 100% of that manual before you EVER introduce ammo to your gun.

If your gun maker says keep the chamber unloaded until you are ready to fire, no member here can safely or prudently advise you to proceed otherwise.

If your goal is safety first, far more gun owners hurt themselves than you think, not following the directions that came with their guns. Be very careful the item you acquired to protect your family, is not the problem rather than the solution.

Register to take some NRA safety classes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChDangerfield View Post
    This sounds like how you carry an XD. The striker back and round chambered. No thumb safety to flip on. Am I wrong on this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app
    No, you're not wrong but an XD can't have a round in the chamber without being in that state. I was walking around with a second gen S&W in condition ZERO (chamber loaded, hammer cocked, ready to fire) in my holster.

Again I am aware that this was incredibly unsafe and I'm not reccomending it

But if my gun never just "went off" doing that how much less likely is it to happen with your XD or a Glock or my S&W carried properly decocked or even a 1911 in condition 1?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    As a temporary suggestion for the specific purpose of training yourself to be as comfortable as you can be, I don't have a problem with that advice, as long as the "temporary" part is pretty short. Unloaded draw drills and target acquisition drills are great advice too. There are numerous unloaded drills you can do to train your muscle memory and reflexes, and the great thing about them is that they don't cost a dime.

The OP's question was a general one though. The wayI read it, s/he was asking for advice for all-the-time carry. There is only one correct answer, tactically-speaking, to that question; always carry ready to rock without adding artificial obstacles to the process of drawing, aiming and firing.

Blues
    I like the video and articles you linked. I read the OP as what should s/he be doing, even though they may not do it now or have done before. From your linked aricle the basis for C3 was for a largely untrained civi population to avoid AD... and the comfort level was suggested being new to carry to be able to get comfortable TO carry "C1" .. a temporary measure to become safe and confident to carry chambered.
    I think the point comes down to carry how you train, train how you carry. Most advise to carry chambered and train that way, as many point out, you may not be able to rack it.
    As for my personal carry, when I get dressed and holster my sidearm in the morning its chambered or not and stays that way until unloaded and locked up at night - as a shotgun is more accessible for bedroom/home defense. I dont advise constantly changing chambered/unchambered either.
    all that said, what are some good dry fire drills you recommend to train in addition to range drills?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    ND Negligent Discharge. It does not just happen to new people. It happens to seasoned veterans also. Cold, tired, irritated, rushed, worried, sick, and a thousand other reasons. 20 years ago, I purchased a $15 insurance policy, insuring I should never have a ND. I am already careful. Muzzle in a safe direction, finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, ammo and guns in two separate locations, until ready to use the gun. I practice, drill, meditate, ponder, and hope for good karma. But just in case, all my Glocks, have a Trigger Block Safety, inside a level II Serpa. In this condition, I personally feel safe, and responsible, as well as ready. Before anyone follows my personal rule, don't follow me, unless you train with me. Also, read your owners manual. Glock owners, Glock does not recommend one in the chamber outside law enforcement or military. Many other gun makers advise the same.

I had never heard of this about Glock. I just went to their site and looked up all their downloadable literature (safety manual, preventative maintenance, etc.) No where did I see this recommendation to not carry a round in chamber. I did see however where Glock stated that their firearm will fire with the magazine removed if a round is still in chamber. This is yet another reason to carry "hot" in case you accidentally do hit the mag release in an adrenaline filled situation, you will still be able to get one round off.

Could you please cite where you have seen this recommendation from Glock? Thank you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

[QUOTE=Glock20;457524If your gun maker says keep the chamber unloaded until you are ready to fire, no member here can safely or prudently advise you to proceed otherwise. [/QUOTE]

As an instructor your well aware that statement is no doubt thanks to their lawyers trying to protect them against morons who shoot themselves due to negligence, NOT because they actually expect people to carry unloaded guns.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast