To carry hot or not? - Page 9
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: To carry hot or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ChDangerfield View Post
    This sounds like how you carry an XD. The striker back and round chambered. No thumb safety to flip on. Am I wrong on this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using USA Carry mobile app
    The XD has a grip safety, like the 1911 .45.
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    The XD has a grip safety, like the 1911 .45.
    Yes they both have this, but with a slight difference. The XD grip safety blocks the sear and the 1911 grip safety blocks the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    When you carry a revolver without a round under the hammer, it's still "hot," but you have one less round. Older revolvers have nothing to prevent the hammer, if struck, from engaging the primer, and should not have a round under the hammer. The hammer block was designed to prevent the hammer from hitting the primer unless the trigger is pulled, and revolvers have been made this way for at least the past 60-70 years.
    Well, there you go. I could not remember when a hammer block came into being. I do have a friend that carries one from 1850-1890 area. He is so good it is scary.

We had a recent case locally with 3 LE responding to a disturbance at an apartment. The BG was armed in a hallway with a knife. The LE backed up to give him space but he kept advancing. It was threatening and the BG closing fast, there was not time to pull a taser or pepper spray first. As the police spokesman stated, when there is a threat, LE always needs to be prepared to respond one level higher, not "match his knife". Bottom line is that one LE drew as the BG closed and fired 2 rounds, with the BG dead. One of the LE was wearing a camera so police have actual footage to verify all that happened.
    -----The police spokesman said the BG was inside 13 feet and charging before the LE fired. He also stated that, if a BG is inside 21 feet and charging at you, the chances are greater he will reach you before you can get your gun out and fire. Now add the .5-.7 seconds to rack a slide to chamber a round and extra delay caused by pausing instead of pulling straight up on target from your holster, you are dead, even with just a knife. That is the real difference between carrying "hot", "one in the pipe", "one chambered" or "(7+1)".
    -----I choose to give myself that extra second to keep myself alive and practice, practice, practice the process of drawing up on target, sweeping off safety on my Ruger as I bring it up on target and double tap. It has to become automatic as you don't have time to think. I thought the result of this real situation might help you understand why the consensus on this forum is to carry a round in the chamber. Good luck.
    Dave "The said Constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." Samuel Adams

I train with both my XD without an external safety and my 1911 with an external safety. I train more with the 1911 to the point I pick up the XD and go to sweep the safety off.

I would rather have done that then what I had done. However, since I have trained with over 5000 rounds and even more dry fires not to flick a safety, it is definitely time for me to replace that Sig. Plus the Ruger is less expensive and I'll have a credit at the gun shop... woot woot!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Nok View Post
    i carry a glock 27. mexican carry. and no way in hell am i going to carry hot. a bullet to my balls might as well be a bullet to my heart.

'nom sayin?

:coffee:
    I'm assuming "mexican carry" means no holster and tucked in your pants pointed straight at your p-enis? I was not aware of this ethnic slur as a type of carry method and I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

If this is correct, may I remind you of Safe Gun Handling Rule #2: Do not cross over or point your firearm at anything you do not wish to destroy. Combine this with rule #1, All guns are always loaded.

Now, think of where you are pointing that firearm. Hmmmmmm. Makes one think.

There are two safe places for every firearm, in a holster that covers the trigger, and in your safe. Your chosen method of carry is rather disconcerting because you would rather have your gun not be functioning in a SHTF situation rather than go out and spend a few dollars for a mid-range decent holster. Your firearm and ammo both cost more than a decent holster. Find one that you like and quit pointing your gun at your gun.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I'm assuming "mexican carry" means no holster and tucked in your pants pointed straight at your p-enis? I was not aware of this ethnic slur as a type of carry method and I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

If this is correct, may I remind you of Safe Gun Handling Rule #2: Do not cross over or point your firearm at anything you do not wish to destroy. Combine this with rule #1, All guns are always loaded.

Now, think of where you are pointing that firearm. Hmmmmmm. Makes one think.

There are two safe places for every firearm, in a holster that covers the trigger, and in your safe. Your chosen method of carry is rather disconcerting because you would rather have your gun not be functioning in a SHTF situation rather than go out and spend a few dollars for a mid-range decent holster. Your firearm and ammo both cost more than a decent holster. Find one that you like and quit pointing your gun at your gun.
    I agree with you about the holster.

Mexican carry is not a racial slur though. Basicly it is a historical thing. When the Mexican government outlawed carrying firearms citizens started to carry with it down their pants hidden. They would, if they are going to encounter LEO, hide the pistol fast and go retrieve it later. Holsters caused an issue. It was hard to ditch them fast and the presence of the holster was all the LEO needed to bust you. So the Mexican citizens ditched the holster instead of getting busted/not carrying.

Load your firearm, chamber a round and keep your booger hook off of the bang switch and its all good!

I agree with you about the holster.

Mexican carry is not a racial slur though. Basicly it is a historical thing. When the Mexican government outlawed carrying firearms citizens started to carry with it down their pants hidden. They would, if they are going to encounter LEO, hide the pistol fast and go retrieve it later. Holsters caused an issue. It was hard to ditch them fast and the presence of the holster was all the LEO needed to bust you. So the Mexican citizens ditched the holster instead of getting busted/not carrying.

This is interesting and it may be quite true. My only problem is I searched for it on several search engines and all I got were blogs, forums, and Internet log-in answer sites, but no credible sources to verify this. Would you happen to know of any sites to verify this?

Let me give you an example using the term "redneck". I have heard many reasons as to the origin of this term. But through historical research, I have found that most of those reasons actually do have credibility. Therefore, it wasn't just one original source, but several. One of the more interesting ones was with a coal miner revolution at Blair Mountain in WV. The miners were well organized and all wore red bandannas and were referred to as rednecks. The Battle of Blair Mountain See the 8th paragraph.

Therefore, I'd like to see what has been said about this term "mexican carry".

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    This is interesting and it may be quite true. My only problem is I searched for it on several search engines and all I got were blogs, forums, and Internet log-in answer sites, but no credible sources to verify this. Would you happen to know of any sites to verify this?

Let me give you an example using the term "redneck". I have heard many reasons as to the origin of this term. But through historical research, I have found that most of those reasons actually do have credibility. Therefore, it wasn't just one original source, but several. One of the more interesting ones was with a coal miner revolution at Blair Mountain in WV. The miners were well organized and all wore red bandannas and were referred to as rednecks. The Battle of Blair Mountain See the 8th paragraph.

Therefore, I'd like to see what has been said about this term "mexican carry".
    Yeah I look and only find form posts. Even this one is a form post but says it is from american handgunner.
    http://stumbleinn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20632

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast