To carry hot or not?
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: To carry hot or not?

To carry hot or not?

I'm still fairly new to carrying, so my question is..should I carry hot or not?..why why not? Thank you for any info, and remember I'm still new to carrying so I want as much info as I can get so I can make an educated decision. Sorry if this has been asked already.

Your question has been asked and discussed. I and most believe that you should always carry hot. This is because the BG may not give you time to chamber a round. Even if you stay aware of your surroundings you may not have time. But everyone must do what they are comfortable with. I carry hot. Not because I expect to use it but in case I would need it!!!!

4. The only reason to carry is to be able to defend yourself and your loved ones so I agree with vernsimpson that you must carry hot. If your worried about safety then carry a pocket pistol such as the Ruger LC9 which also has a safety on it which can be released with your thumb while drawing. I carry an LC9 in my right front pocket and I love it. But you need to practice drawing from your pocket and releasing the safety at the same time so you become proficient and comfortable. Then you can carry hot with little worry about an acidental mis-fire.

Hope this helps.

Vernsimpson is correct. If you're really in a situation where you need your firearm, you are simply not going to have the time to rack a round into the chamber. You don't want have to think about that. Everyone I've ever talked to about a self-defense situation all say it develops very quickly. Training a practice will help you develop the safe practices and confidence needed to carry hot.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Personal Defense in the Home)
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

6. I agree with others posting here that one should carry hot. Funny that when I was new to everyday carry I had the same question and got these same answers. I did become more comfortable with carrying hot, hopefully never becoming complacent/careless.
    IMHO.

7. You see the cops racking a round, but I believe it is just for camera and movie drama. I and you may not get the chance to rack a round

Blog Entries
    An unchambered firearm is about as useful as a rock. Rack the slide and load another into the magazine.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by jfjfxray View Post
    I'm still fairly new to carrying, so my question is..should I carry hot or not?..why why not? Thank you for any info, and remember I'm still new to carrying so I want as much info as I can get so I can make an educated decision. Sorry if this has been asked already.
    I'd be curious to know if you've ever been advised by a source which you trust to not carry with one in the chamber (I assume that's what you mean by "hot"), and if so, why did you consider the advice to be credible or reasonable?

My bet is that no one on this forum with any significant experience carrying is going to advise you to carry with an empty chamber. There are myriad reasons for that, from time to rack (as vernsimpson mentioned) to the fact that modern weapons have so many internal safety features that prevent the accidental discharge of the gun that you just put yourself at risk by carrying that way. I honestly can't think of a good reason to carry "cold." Without going into any more depth than that, it only leaves one choice - hot.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by jfjfxray View Post
    As it's been said, if you search the forum you will find a never ending wealth of posts about this but in short, yes, you carry hot. There is no gun on the planet that was designed to be carried unloaded, plain and simple. With practice your confidence will rise and carrying a loaded gun won't be weird anymore.

11. Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    An unchambered firearm is about as useful as a rock. Rack the slide and load another into the magazine.
    I would say the rock might be more useful

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast