Should CC license holders ALWAYS practice Full-Disclosure with Law Enforcement? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should CC license holders ALWAYS practice Full-Disclosure with Law Enforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    Did I join the correct forum? I figured it was a bunch of guys / gals with FBI background checks, that passed.

Several posts here sound like the only person they hate more than their Mother is their parole officer, or anyone wearing a badge.

Rain does not fall from cloudless skies. Likewise, respect one desires, can only flow once respect is given.

A wall is white, or black, once you paint it white, or black. If you do not paint the wall, and only expect it to be a certain color, all the expectations or criticism in the world will not change the wall.

It is good the garbage man is looked up upon, as all public servants deserve a degree of respect. Likewise, a public servant wearing a badge should be shown respect and dignity.

Being a police officer is a hard job. Daily, somewhere in our country, some young man, trying to help his community, is not able to come home and kiss his children goodnight, and tuck them into bed, because someone did not respect life, and did not respect their badge.
    a submissive dog will pee on itself to show deference to an alpha dog, are you suggesting that because we are engaged in a legal/sanctioned with a permission slip exercise of our rights that we "pee on our legs" when dealing with a agent of OUR government?

3. I ran into this issue just the other day. I was pulled over for speeding last weekend while my wife and I were running into town. By the time he got to my window I had my licenese, registration, insurance card, and my CCW permit (on top) in my hand and had BOTH hands on the wheel where he could see them. First thing I said was " I am armed, and here is my permit". He thanked me for informing him, and we actually ended up having a nice conversation. He was without a doubt one of the nicest LEO's I have talked with in awhile (and no, I don't get into positions to NEED to be talking with them very often). Oh, and he let me off with just a warning. Now granted, this is probably an exception, so I won't hold it as an example for all encounters. I think in the end it all depends on the situation. If this had happened in downtown Indy, late at night, instead of on the outskirts of a nice neighborhood, in the middle of a sunny Sunday afternoon, this would have been a completely different event. I'll reserve judgement on what to do, until I am in that position again...if it happens.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I completely agree with you. However I fail to see any relevency in your post regarding informing an officer about a legally possessed firearm when not required to by law. I don't tell them about my gun or permit because as jrs posted in #18, there is no need for me to add more stress to an already stressful condition. Any police officer who believes that I am a "good guy" because I hand him a piece of paper that I claim to be real and valid isn't all that bright. They don't believe my driver's license is real and valid and they call it in and verify it, so why should they believe my pistol license is real and valid until they call it in to verify it. In the meanwhile, they now know that there is a gun to be concerned about.

If they want to know up front if I armed or not, all they have to do is ask. Takes less than 5 seconds, "Sir, are you carrying any firearms or weapons with you today?"
    Since I have no duty to disclose, and since I don't speed or drive recklessly and therefore, am being pulled over for a burned out taillight or something equally as trivial, or maybe stopped at a DUI checkpoint, I would answer the above question the same way as I would answer all other questions from cops: "I don't answer questions without my attorney present."
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

We are not required to disclose in Iowa. When I took my carry class the teacher recommended to hand the officer our permit along with our drivers license. This was his opinion after speaking to many officers and claims we would more likely to get away with a waning than a ticket.

I'm not sure what I would do if pulled over. I have a friend that is a cop. I should ask him what he prefers.

Ok let's get this one out of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    This topic has been done to death.
    In my experience those who do inform tend to be a little more authoritarian and tend to favor tighter restrictions on handgun permits.

Absent a legal requirement to do so, itís ultimately your choice, do what works for you. I choose not to because IMO all it does is adds more time to the stop and gives the cop one more hassle to deal with.
    In Colorado I am not required to inform the officer unless I am asked then I am required to surrender my permit w/ a valid ID. (CRS 18-12-204).

In Colorado my permit information is not tied to my driverís license in anyway, the only way the cop is going to know Iím armed is if he sees it or asks me.

I donít generally open carry. I have no objection; I just dress in a way that makes it impractical. If I am in my car my gun is generally on my right hip behind the seat belt I just donít see the cop noticing it unless he has X-ray vision.

I carry my DL/registration/ proof of insurance in my wallet.

Bearing all that in mind this is how I handle a traffic stop.

As soon as the lights go on I take my wallet out of my pocket and have it in my hand I keep it in my hand until the stop is over.Then I pull as far off the road as I can.

When that cop comes up to the car I have my hands in plain sight on the wheel w/ my wallet in my hand (no reaching for anything and giving the cop a chance to see my gun) I keep my wallet in my hand until the stop is over. I also turn the dome light on at night. IMO this negates the main rationale people give for informing, the cop isnít going to notice my gun.

So, the cop asks for my papers I open the wallet, he can see everything Iím doing, and I hand him the documents and he does his thing and Iím on my way. No opportunity for him to notice any ďsuspicious bulgesĒ. No reason for the cop to get nervous. No reason to prolong the stop.

If the cop asks me if I have any weapons in the car I say nothing and hand him my permit and go from there.
    The only reason I would inform the cop w/out being asked is if he asked me to step out of the car. In Colorado Springs that means I am almost certain to be patted down, so I hand him my permit before I get out of the car.

IMO ďShowing respectĒ is nothing more than submissive urination, like a dog that pees as soon as you touch it so you wonít beat it..
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

If there's no state law keep your mouth shut. Never volunteer anything to LE... you'll talk yourself into handcuffs at some point
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

8. Quote Originally Posted by BrantlyJ View Post
    We are not required to disclose in Iowa. When I took my carry class the teacher recommended to hand the officer our permit along with our drivers license. This was his opinion after speaking to many officers and claims we would more likely to get away with a waning than a ticket.

I'm not sure what I would do if pulled over. I have a friend that is a cop. I should ask him what he prefers.
    Honestly...I believe that is the exact reason most people show their permits when not required to by law.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleymonster View Post
    I ran into this issue just the other day. I was pulled over for speeding last weekend while my wife and I were running into town. By the time he got to my window I had my licenese, registration, insurance card, and my CCW permit (on top) in my hand and had BOTH hands on the wheel where he could see them. First thing I said was " I am armed, and here is my permit". He thanked me for informing him, and we actually ended up having a nice conversation. He was without a doubt one of the nicest LEO's I have talked with in awhile (and no, I don't get into positions to NEED to be talking with them very often). Oh, and he let me off with just a warning. Now granted, this is probably an exception, so I won't hold it as an example for all encounters. I think in the end it all depends on the situation. If this had happened in downtown Indy, late at night, instead of on the outskirts of a nice neighborhood, in the middle of a sunny Sunday afternoon, this would have been a completely different event. I'll reserve judgement on what to do, until I am in that position again...if it happens.
    I ran into this issue multiple times in the past. I was pulled over for speeding. By the time he got to my window I had my driver's licenese, registration, and insurance card in my hand and had BOTH hands on the wheel where he could see them. First thing I said was " Good morning/afternoon, officer." We actually ended up having a nice conversation. He was without a doubt one of the nicest LEO's I have talked with in awhile (and no, I don't get into positions to NEED to be talking with them very often). Oh, and he let me off with just a warning. Neither him nor I ever mentioned either my CPL or my gun.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

It helps avoid traffic tickets. I asked a cop once why tickets weren't given to people with CCWPs, he said cause they didn't want to get shot.

Quote Originally Posted by devo-j View Post
    It helps avoid traffic tickets. I asked a cop once why tickets weren't given to people with CCWPs, he said cause they didn't want to get shot.
    Troll ban pool anyone?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by dmsetzer318 View Post
    My question is a question I have been pondering lately. I know that there are some states that require a Concealed Weapons License holder to have full disclosure when in contact with law enforcement. There are states like Florida and Texas that do not require it. My question is to find out the general consensus of CC license holders around the nation on whether or not full disclosure with law enforcement should always be practiced whether or not its required out of respect for our Law Enforcement agencies.
    I echo what a lot of people have said on here.... this question has been debated to death. Please search the many threads on this. Since you are new and have only posted 5 times, I'll forgive you on this oversight.

To answer your question simply, NO!

However, if you travel a lot and the states are different in their requirements on this issue, make sure you know the law. But then again, that really shouldn't have to be stated, but unfortunately for too many people, it does.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast