Should CC license holders ALWAYS practice Full-Disclosure with Law Enforcement? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Should CC license holders ALWAYS practice Full-Disclosure with Law Enforcement?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I thought he did, here:
    You are correct. My mistake. You are also absolutely correct that Stengun's home state laws only apply within the borders of his home state.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

I live in Arkansas and we are a "Declare" state.

Even if I'm in a state that doesn't require that I declare my state CHCL regs require that I declare.

Either way I want the LEO to know that I have a CCW permit and that I'm packin'.

Why?

Simple. If I have a CCW permit that means I'm a law abiding citizen ( usually ) and that I've passed background checks, not a fugitive from justices, etc. ( I've had 2 LEOs state this during a traffic stop ).

Another reason the fact that LEOs carry a unconcealed gun, wear a uniform and drive around in a marked car with lights, etc as an intimidation factor. I like to let the LEOs know that they are NOT the only person that has a weapon.

Paul
    My question to you is whether or not you inform any and all officers you come in contact with that you have a pocket knife, a leatherman, a baseball bat, or anything else that could be construed as a legal weapon, or is it just the firearm you declare immediately?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Can't we just explain the reasons why we don't disclose if we don't have to and be mature enough not to resort to calling names?
    the reasons have been put forth numerous time, my statement is not name calling it is an observation of behavior by some people who act like sheep, they are know as sheople
    and as most of us know when you turn into a sheep the wolves will eat you, you carry a weapon to protect yourself why would you drop your guard for a guy who wears a costume to garner respect?

Quote Originally Posted by dmsetzer318 View Post
    My question is to find out the general consensus of CC license holders around the nation on whether or not full disclosure with law enforcement should always be practiced whether or not its required out of respect for our Law Enforcement agencies.
    Are you under the impression that not giving them unneeded information is some how disrespectful? It's none of their business unless required by law, and still realistically none of their business.

Living in WA state and recently taking CCW classes for CCW permits for WA, OR and UT states our instructor of course told us to follow state CCW laws as for notifying LEO during vehicle stops, the LEO, calling in your license number will already alert them that you are a permit holder and could be armed. He felt that it was only courteous to let the LEO that you have a CCW permit and whether you are currently carrying or not. During this vehicle stop keeping your hands on top of the steering wheel and follow the LEO's instruction. I suppose the outcome to any meeting with LEO and ourselves is our/their frame of mind during that meeting!

7. Quote Originally Posted by gcowboym View Post
    He felt that it was only courteous to let the LEO that you have a CCW permit and whether you are currently carrying or not.
    Should you be equally as "courteous" to the convenience store clerk when you enter the store at night time? What if you expose your firearm accidentally while paying for your item, wouldn't it be courteous to let the clerk know about your permit and firearm when you enter to put their mind at ease that you are not there to rob them?Did the CCW instructor explain to you that as a WA resident, neither a UT or Oregon permit will be valid for you in Washington State?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by gcowboym View Post
    the LEO, calling in your license number will already alert them that you are a permit holder and could be armed. He felt that it was only courteous to let the LEO that you have a CCW permit and whether you are currently carrying or not.
    Here are the several points where your instructor's theories fall apart:

1. Calling in license number. Are we talking license plate number, or driver's license? If we are talking about license plate number, they only get information about the registered owner, they have no idea who the driver or passengers of the vehicle is and whether or not the driver or the passengers in the vehicle have a permit or not.

2. If the information is returned about the registered owner of the vehicle having a permit - that does not increase or decrease the chances that the driver or passengers are armed or not. It only increases the chances that if the driver is also the registered owner that any firearms they possess are legally possessed and carried in a legal manner - since in Washington the only thing that could be illegal would be select fire firearms (commonly known as full auto), or a loaded rifle or shotgun.

3. So, assuming the driver is the registered owner of the vehicle, and the officer already has information that any firearms the driver may possess are legal to be carried, then exactly what practical purpose is served by telling them the location of the firearm?

4. Or...let's assume the officer does not have the permit info before he approaches the vehicle (and even if he did find out the registered owner of the vehicle had a permit, he would be very ignorant to change any manner that he approached the vehicle initially, because he has no idea who is driving or a passenger!) Now you show him a permit and tell him about the gun. The officer has no verification that the permit you are showing him is real and/or still valid. What do you honestly expect him to do? Just ASSume that you are telling the truth and giving him real documents? Or have you just increased his stress level because now he knows about a gun (which would more than likely never have even been mentioned during the stop if you didn't bring it up) but he has no idea if you possess a valid permit/license or not. What is he supposed to do until he verifies your permit is valid? Just let you keep it and hope for the best?

Showing a permit to an officer and telling them about a gun has nothing to do with courtesy. I am, and have been, and will continue to be extremely courteous and respectful towards an officer but there is no need to tell them about a permit or gun in order to accomplish that.

I believe that if I have my gun on my belt and a LEO asks me to get out of my car. I will then inform him I have a gun IF it is on my belt. If my gun is in the car but not on my person then I will not say anything until asked. That is unless the state I am in requires that I inform.

I had said before I would always inform the LEO but after reading different posts and much thought I have decided that I will not inform unless my gun is on my person when asked to exit the car.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Did the CCW instructor explain to you that as a WA resident, neither a UT or Oregon permit will be valid for you in Washington State?
    I possess a WA CCW permit since I live in WA. I also possess a OR CCW permit because they do not accept other state CCW permits but will allow neighboring state residents to acquire their CCW permit. I also possess a UT CCW permit so that I can carry in states that I travel in/though that WA and OR CCW permits are not accepted. You might not agree with the CCW instructor but he is accredited through NRA and the three states mentioned. He stressed to follow the state laws that we are carrying in. If the law is to disclose or not to disclose, each one of us will need to determine what we will do!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345