Should CC license holders ALWAYS practice Full-Disclosure with Law Enforcement?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should CC license holders ALWAYS practice Full-Disclosure with Law Enforcement?

My question is a question I have been pondering lately. I know that there are some states that require a Concealed Weapons License holder to have full disclosure when in contact with law enforcement. There are states like Florida and Texas that do not require it. My question is to find out the general consensus of CC license holders around the nation on whether or not full disclosure with law enforcement should always be practiced whether or not its required out of respect for our Law Enforcement agencies.
    Last edited by dmsetzer318; 08-06-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: changed to "out of respect" instead of "in respect"

Really? You had to start ANOTHER thread on this?!? The communitiy is split. Some people on both sides of the argument are very adament about their opinions. This EXACT same question gets asked at least once a month, sometimes weekly. Can't we talk about something new like open v. concealed carry, should I obey the no firearms sign, is .380 enough gun....

or George Zimmerman: hero, idiot or murderer?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I follow state law. Here in NC, we must inform the LEO that we are a permitee but we don't have to tell him/her if we are carrying unless asked. In a state were notification is NOT required, I don't say a thing.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Personal Defense in the Home)
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

Since I ranted earlier and got that over with....

Quote Originally Posted by dmsetzer318 View Post
    There are states like Florida and Texas that do not require it.
    Texas does require notification anytime that a police officer asks you for identification:
    GC 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

in respect for our Law Enforcement agencies.
    I am going to assume you mean "out of respect for our Law Enforcement agencies." I can be polite and respectul to anyone/everyone and don't have to tell them about my lawfully carried firearm or my license to carry. Showing respect and providing someone with an inventory of my personal belongings that I am carrying at the time are completely unrelated to each other, IMHO. I understand that when the blue lights come on behind me when I am driving that the police officer just wants to go home safe at the end of thier shift. I will do everything possible to contribute to that. Telling them about my permit and gun does nothing to contribute to them going home safe at night.

Needlessly handling my firearm at the side of the road puts everyone within range of that bullet in equally needless danger. By telling them about my lawfully carried firearm when I am not required to by law I am extending to them an invitation to handle my gun needlessly. Some will gladly accept that invitation and some won't. I'm not willing to take the chance just to show the officer a "good guy" concealed carry card more in the hopes of getting out of the ticket I deserve than for any other reason. I won't inform the officer about my gun for their safety as well as mine, because I'm just a nice guy that way.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. A) Follow the law (obviously).
    B) Where A) isn't relevant, decide how much stress you want to put a random cop under during a routine stop.

IMO, I don't see a huge downside to telling the cop you are a permit holder and whether you are or are not carrying, as well as where any weapons in your vehicle are... under the basic assumption I'm not breaking a law with regards to possession, transport or storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Handgun Dad View Post
    B) Where A) isn't relevant, decide how much stress you want to put a random cop under during a routine stop.

IMO, I don't see a huge downside to telling the cop you are a permit holder and whether you are or are not carrying, as well as where any weapons in your vehicle are... under the basic assumption I'm not breaking a law with regards to possession, transport or storage.
    Are you saying it is less stressful for the officer if I tell them about my gun?

The huge downside to telling them you are a permit holder and that you are carrying a gun is that it provides them with the opportunity to disarm you that they probably would not have had if you kept quiet about it.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    No.............
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I agree that it does not benefit the encounter if disclosure is unnecessary. Are there any current or former LEO willing to make a statement on this matter?

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I agree that it does not benefit the encounter if disclosure is unnecessary. Are there any current or former LEO willing to make a statement on this matter?
    If we're talking about a jurisdiction in which no disclosure is required, why would it matter what a LEO thinks about citizens who don't disclose their carry status? I personally couldn't care any less what an LEO thinks about what I don't say when I'm under no obligation to say it.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

You're right, it doesn't matter what they think; however, I would like to know out of curiosity. Is there a general feeling among LEO on this subject matter?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast