CCW for my wife: Smaller caliber/handgun or larger caliber/handgun? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW for my wife: Smaller caliber/handgun or larger caliber/handgun?

Has any one pointed out that the wife needs to go pick out the right gun for her herself?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I would suggest letting her try out as many different guns as she can and let her decide what works for her.

I have an LCP and I would much rather shoot my XD Compact 45 or my 1911. I hate the LCP. It is so small that the recoil feels worse to me than any of the 45s I've shot. Remember the smaller guns don't have the weight to counter balance the recoil so they can be more uncomfortable to shoot in some cases.

Clint, where in Texas are you located, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Has any one pointed out that the wife needs to go pick out the right gun for her herself?
    Treo,
    Thanks for adding to the conversation... I'm aware that a CCW is an extremely personal choice & needs to be made after hands-on experience. That being said, I'm looking for some suggestions as to what I might want to get our hands on.

6. Just go to the range and rent 5 to 6 different types of guns with different calibers and find which is the best it's cheaper than what most people think

7. Why not let HER find the handgun that fits her hands, she can carry and she can shoot well.

Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Great advice!

It she doesn't like how it feels in her hands she will not carry it.

One problem with the tiny .380 blow back pistols is that they tend to have a lot of recoil considering their power level.

I'm an old 1911 .45 hardball, .357 & .44mag, 10mm, .45 Super shooter so recoil doesn't bother me but to some people, like women, the recoil bothers them.

For recoil sensitive a mid size 9mm or a .38 revolver is a better choice.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

9. My wife's main carry gun is a Ruger LCP. She has a Hogue Handall grip sleeve that helps to make the gun comfortable for her to shoot. She carries it in either a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck or in a Flashbang holster. She also has a Charter Arms Undercover Lite .38 revolver. She can't tolerate the recoil from that one. Its lightweight and easy to carry, but it has a small grip that delivers a kick. I have since put on a full hand grip, but she loves her LCP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12