Concealed Carry or Open Carry? Where do you stand? - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Concealed Carry or Open Carry? Where do you stand?

1. R1DERBIKER, i think it is great that your wife is at least willing to shoot. if that had happened to me i probably would never be without a gun. especially near a spouse. i hope she does realize the gun had nothing to do with what happened to her. be sure to make it fun for her to shoot. there is a factor that some women just don't like to shoot. hopefully though if the SHTF, she will react

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    One thing to factor into that equation is attitude, not just size or sex. If a randomly selected person straps on a firearm(OC), but is not confident that he or she can defend him/herself with it, or they do not seem to be comfortable with it, a randomly selected bad guy may just view this as a challenge, and an opportunity to get a gun as an aded bonus. For a woman that has the additional "target factor" of being a possible sexual assault victim (yeah, I know it's not just women but bear with me, the biggest % is) The simple confidence of having a firearm AND being comfortable with it could bump up your point value just based on attitude.
    -
    I guess what I'm sayingis that it is not just OC, but being comfortable with it, that enhances personal safety. If you OC and your head is on a swivel and you seem nervous about it, you might be a bigger target (or at least a challenge)
    the example i gave is subject to all kinds of views. when my grandmother was 82, she walked with a cane and looked like granny Clampet, but she carried a .357 magnum colt trooper in her bag. dam thing was near as big as she was, and she would shoot you in a heart beat.

attitude is a hard thing to measure, as well as judge. i have a kind of attitude because i am a big guy and a bit older, so i am a bit meaner.
    there is an old saying too, "it ain't the size of the dog in a fight but the size of the fight in a dog".

it would be very, very rare for a BG to want a challenge. they want things as easy as possible. if they wanted a challenge they would work for their money. not saying there's not one somewhere. it just is very rare

as far as situational awareness (heads on a swivel), that can only be a good thing for all carriers. you should always be aware of what is going on around you. but the main point is that it will make you a harder target. again the BG wants things to be easy, they will not a attack a person if that person sees it coming. then there are the people (sheeple) that argue just the opposite, that having a gun will make you do things that you shouldn't. could possibly be true, but i hope most people are like me and never want to shoot anyone. so i will not get into anything i think might lead to a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rakes View Post
    as far as situational awareness (heads on a swivel), that can only be a good thing for all carriers.
    I was not talking about SA. Imagine someone cashing a big check, having a boatload of cash they don't usually have, and being worried everyone was out to get it. Someone OC-ing, and not comfortable with it could present the same "head on a swivel" nervous attitude.
    -
    As a law abiding citizen, looking at two people OC-ing, and one being a nervous wreck and the other appearing confident, I would be extremely worried being near the nervous one. If I was a criminal, I might think just the opposite.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Treo...please understand I'm bouncing off your post... not addressing you personally....
    No prob, I've stated in the past my primary reason for not open carrying is because I prefer Hawaiian shirts. the other is a secondary reason
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    No prob, I've stated in the past my primary reason for not open carrying is because I prefer Hawaiian shirts. the other is a secondary reason
    If we were to stand next to each other we would be examples of complete opposites because I am (*nearly always) completely and totally monochromatic. I have many pairs of pants, both dress and jeans, and I have many shirts, both button up and pullover but (*with the exception of a couple of red shirts for special occasions) everything in my closet is black. My shoes are black too... as are my socks.

And the truth is... I've chosen to go that route because I'm lazy. I just want to reach in and grab something because I don't want to be bothered making a decision about what color I will wear that day... it will (*almost always) be ... black.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    And the truth is... I've chosen to go that route because I'm lazy. I just want to reach in and grab something because I don't want to be bothered making a decision about what color I will wear that day... it will (*almost always) be ... black.
    Most of the time I have no decision to make either; I get up grab a uniform and go to work. When I'm home at the end of the the day I am home and I'm in shorts and a tee shirt or sweats depending on the season. I don't go out much usually Sunday and Wednesday and Saturday for church and one of those days I'm usually in the church security uniform. So I really only pick twice a week or so
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

7. Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I was not talking about SA. Imagine someone cashing a big check, having a boatload of cash they don't usually have, and being worried everyone was out to get it. Someone OC-ing, and not comfortable with it could present the same "head on a swivel" nervous attitude.
    -
    As a law abiding citizen, looking at two people OC-ing, and one being a nervous wreck and the other appearing confident, I would be extremely worried being near the nervous one. If I was a criminal, I might think just the opposite.
    you could be an honest person trying to think like a criminal.
    for years i have always said i would rather work with a mean horse than a scared one. a mean horse you can predict. but a scared horse will go through you , a barn wall, or even injure itself. you never know what it will do. kind of the thing scared people will do

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    hey a shoulder holster with a Hawaiian shirt. wouldn't that be Miami vice-esk

as i have said before. please just carry

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910