Concealed Carry or Open Carry? Where do you stand? - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry or Open Carry? Where do you stand?

1. I carry concealed. I would carry concealed even if open carry becomes legal. I do think that anyone who carries ought to submit to a background check and apply for a license, just like me. I don't agree with the "anyone, anytime, anywhere, without a license" carry.

I stand armed. (I also sit armed ). I personally always CC, but I also OC at the same time when I can.
    -
    You have 4 tires already on your car, but you also have a spare? Same with guns. One is good, two is better....
    Chief

4. I will only carry concealed. Don't want the added attention OC brings.

I carry a concealed back up to go with my openly carried primary. And... as has been said... both methods of carry offer advantages and disadvantages. And the decision of whether to open carry, concealed carry, or both at the same time.... or even not to carry at all!... should always be a personal decision for the individual. Yet I sincerely wish folks would do some research (google is our friend) and base their decisions on actual facts instead of myths (like concealed carry has some kind of superior to OC "tactical element of surprise") and unsubstantiated fears (like open carriers will be shot first).

However, there is one advantage of open carry that concealed carry will never ever have. And that is...... exposing the public to the fact that the right to bear arms is real.

So ... one of the main reasons I open carry is to put the right to carry a gun "right out there in your face" where people can see it and, regardless of if they like it or not, it cannot be denied. I welcome the opportunity to educate folks who are curious and ask me questions... and to educate those who are standing around watching the show as I calmly and politely refute the emotional arguments of an anti gunner with actual facts including offering a printout that backs up my facts with actual law to anyone interested in learning more facts. After all... the anti gunner's mind is already made up but the onlookers get to see the guy with the gun behaving like an adult dealing in facts while the anti gunner childishly throws a tantrum. Guess who makes the better impression there.

And I have had the police respond to an anti gunner's frantic "man with a gun!!!" call only to have the distinct pleasure of standing next to the officer as he explained to the self righteously irate woman (and the 20+ other folks there who were watching and listening intently) that I had the right .. and it was legal here in Michigan...to carry my sidearm in plain sight but SHE was in the wrong to think she had some kind of right or legal basis to tell me to put the gun away so she didn't have to look at it.

So..... hiding (concealing) a gun does have the advantage of "blending in" and not having to explain anything (or the possibility of upsetting an anti gunner's "feelings") but hiding the gun is also hiding the right to bear arms. The old saying of "Out of sight, out of mind." not only applies to the gun itself but also applies to the right to bear arms too.

6. Quote Originally Posted by jhicks View Post
    I do think that anyone who carries ought to submit to a background check and apply for a license, just like me.
    Can I ask exactly what problem is solved by requiring a background check and license for a person to carry a gun? Those requirements affect one group of people, and one group of people only. That group of people being those who generally abide by laws and wouldn't use a gun to commit a crime with anyway and it attaches an unneccesary hurdle and expense to their ability to defend themselves. What else does it accomplish? Not a damn thing. It's already illegal for the criminal to use a gun to commit a crime with. If they are going to break that law anyway, why are they all of a sudden going obey a permit requirement or a "guns prohibited here" sign/law?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    It never fails. Someone, usually a newcomer, asks an innocent question about preferences (caliber, OC vs. CC, whatever), honest, non-confrontational answers are forthcoming, and then the pretzel-logic of the "I know what's better for you than you know for yourself" crowd comes out of the woodwork. And that same crowd will claim that they are freedom-lovers, maybe even full-on Patriots. Bullcaca. If you can't accept that some people see the world as you do, and some don't, without criticizing and belittling those who don't, you don't believe in freedom at all and are no compatriot of mine.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

I find it interesting that a brand new member has managed to randomly (yeah right) start two threads and have both be about the two biggest hot button topics on this forum.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

While I fully support those who choose to OC, I CC because I'm a very private, low-key kind of guy and I just don't want to draw attention to myself because it makes me uncomfortable. I do OC in the field, and even when I'm working outside my home since we have poisonous snakes here. It's a little ironic, because in North Georgia I could probably OC an M-249 SAW and most people would barely notice.

10. In my daily experiences when open carrying for several years now, the vast majority of and most vehement opposition I have faced, in person, to my gun has been from concealed carry license holders who cannot resist the urge to tell me they carry concealed and that I should too.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by jhicks
    I carry concealed. I would carry concealed even if open carry becomes legal. I do think that anyone who carries ought to submit to a background check and apply for a license, just like me. I don't agree with the "anyone, anytime, anywhere, without a license" carry.
    you don't think highly of, "shall not be infringed"..

you don't agree with the Constitution...worse than the anti gunners

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast