Concealed Carry or Open Carry? Where do you stand? - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry or Open Carry? Where do you stand?

One thing that I have yet to see brought up in either forum (CC or OC) when this question comes up is the fact that some people have no choice. Look at the number of states that give you no option. I would love to see a federal law doing away with permission slips, capacity limits, weapon style limits, cosmetic illegalities etc. Until there is the term "United" doesn't really apply to the states.
    -
    Right now I have "dual citizenship" by being stationed in VA, but owning a home in SC. For now there is no OC in SC, if you want to defend yourself you must obtain a permission slip. So while I have a SERPA holster for my 15rd pistol and have no problem OC'ing here in VA, I don't make a habit of it. Why? We react as we train. Since I am not allowed to OC in SC, and will be retiring there, I have no option but to CC. In an adrenaline charged SHTF moment, we resort to instinct and ingrained training. I can draw my CC as fast as you can draw your OC. I don't want to have to remember where I happen to be carrying at the moment of truth.
    -
    My state and federal representatives all know my feelings on returning our rights, and I call them to weigh in on each new piece of legislation. WHEN they eventually come around, I WILL change my method of carry.
    Chief

I’ve said this before but I have nothing against open carry I’m just not going to change the way I dress to accommodate it.

About the only time I open carry is when it gets hotter than I expected and I remove my cover garment but I am glad that Colorado allows that option.

As for the deterrent V the “element of surprise” debate either way since we carry for defense we will almost always be reacting to a threat which means that any “element of surprise” will be all theirs. As for deterrent in the times that I’ve open carried that I am aware of I’ve only ever had one guy even notice that I was armed.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I can draw my CC as fast as you can draw your OC.
    I just have one question on this specific line. I have watched numerous YouTube videos on this exact same claim...but no one has ever produced as fast or faster times, close maybe, but not as fast or faster. There is also that second hand that must be used to get a time anywhere near an open carry draw.

So my question, is it really as fast? Can you produce those results with one hand?

I like the rest of your post though, brought good points to the thread.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    I guess you guys just don't understand it.
    Carrying concealed is not the element of surprise.... It's called being behind the curve.
    A very profound comparison, I LIKE.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

I do both. No question OC is much kore comfortable. Anybody in an OC state should on occasion, its nice.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I'm squarely in the "concealed" camp. I don't want anyone to know I carry. I do believe, however, that there really should be no debate. In places where OC is allowed, we should all carry in the manner we feel most comfortable. Afterall, we are all on the same team as far as carrying our firearms. How we carry shouldn't be an issue.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Personal Defense in the Home)
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    As you know, Blues, the "element of surprise" is a big deal to some. Some people clearly put all of their self defense eggs in the one basket of "element of surprise". So, I would like to ask you a question, based upon your experience as an armored truck guard. If the "element of surprise" is so superior tactically, then why don't the armored truck companies use it?
    Well, I'd be the wrong person to ask that question of, since as I said above, I consider the "element of surprise" meme to be nonsense. It's never been a part of my preference to carry concealed. As I also said before, I just want to be left alone, and that desire is mostly about cops more than someone thinking I'm a good target for victimizing. Whether concealed in regular life, or open as an armored truck courier, I've never felt deficient in my ability to deal with someone wanting to victimize me, but y'all's posts have convinced me that the deterrent effect of OC'ing has good potential to prevent me from having to react to a threat at all.

In order to keep the "element of surprise" it would seem to me that the companies in the business of moving money and valuable papers/items would do so in unmarked vehicles with drivers/guards in everyday clothes carrying concealed weapons and move the money in unmarked bags. They would completely blend in, but be well prepared to pull out their guns and yell "SURPRISE!" if they were attacked.
    There aren't any branch offices in Alabama that offer them, but I do know of services offered in other states by the company I used to work for that were incognito. The overwhelming majority of their services are uniformed and openly armed, but they do have some plain-clothes and concealed carry services, like personal protection etc.

I get your point though, but I got the point before you ever made that post.

Surely the big armored truck companies have done their research, no? And yet, after doing all the research, they still come up with the "show of force" method of defense. They play their poker game with their cards facing outward. "If you want to bet against these 4 Aces and Joker I have in my hand, then you go right ahead...". What does that say about how the big companies who specialize in security feel about visible deterrence v. surprise?
    Yeah, the question pretty much answers itself, doesn't it?

I don't care if people carry their firearm concealed. It's a personal choice and there are valid reasons for concealing. I conceal my firearm on occasions. But what I don't like is when someone tries to influence another person to do something based upon theories that are never proven to be true in real life.
    I couldn't agree more. In fact, I'll take it a step further. Even if they could prove their theories that "surprise" is advantageous in some, most or all shooting scenarios, I can't for the life of me understand what motivates someone to try to influence others to do things their way when either/both ways are perfectly within the individual's rights to decide for themselves. Stating one's preference is fine as frog's hair. But don't try to get me to do something based on your preferences. WAY too many people don't understand the meaning of the word "freedom."

You guys that I mentioned earlier have influenced my thinking on the subject of open carry, but it was through well-reasoned, rational posts, not by brow-beating me to see things your way. That's perfectly consistent with, and respectful of, my freedom to decide for myself.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Concealed, nobody needs to Know. I don't want to stand out or have attention drawn to me.

10. Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    One thing that I have yet to see brought up in either forum (CC or OC) when this question comes up is the fact that some people have no choice. Look at the number of states that give you no option. I would love to see a federal law doing away with permission slips, capacity limits, weapon style limits, cosmetic illegalities etc. Until there is the term "United" doesn't really apply to the states.
    -
    Right now I have "dual citizenship" by being stationed in VA, but owning a home in SC. For now there is no OC in SC, if you want to defend yourself you must obtain a permission slip. So while I have a SERPA holster for my 15rd pistol and have no problem OC'ing here in VA, I don't make a habit of it. Why? We react as we train. Since I am not allowed to OC in SC, and will be retiring there, I have no option but to CC. In an adrenaline charged SHTF moment, we resort to instinct and ingrained training. I can draw my CC as fast as you can draw your OC. I don't want to have to remember where I happen to be carrying at the moment of truth.
    -
    My state and federal representatives all know my feelings on returning our rights, and I call them to weigh in on each new piece of legislation. WHEN they eventually come around, I WILL change my method of carry.
    GR8 insight Chief! I couldn't agree more.
    Keep...Yer Powder dry, Yer Mag full, & Yer Aim... DEAD ON!

11. I too agree with you Chup! I don't agree however with KY's "permission slip," but that's the law in my neck of the woods.
    Keep...Yer Powder dry, Yer Mag full, & Yer Aim... DEAD ON!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast