Concealed Carry or Open Carry? Where do you stand? - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 96

Thread: Concealed Carry or Open Carry? Where do you stand?

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    I do have one objection to open carry or at least a reason I choose not to.

    If I open carry I choose to give up a portion of control over my life. I say this because I can’t stop some anti from MWAGing me to the police. I don’t really care to expose myself to that hassle.

    Having said that I remain a supporter of your right to carry as you wish
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  2.   
  3. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    She is a helper, from stopping to help terrapins cross the road,
    I've stopped to help Turtles across the road and I'll drop you (in the generic sense) like a bad habit.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  4. My question: is it OK (in TX) to carry outside the waist? How much bigger should your pants be if you're carrying inside?

  5. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by seo124 View Post
    My question: is it OK (in TX) to carry outside the waist?
    Yes, as long as the gun remains concealed

    Quote Originally Posted by seo124 View Post
    How much bigger should your pants be if you're carrying inside?
    Depends on how you normally wear your pants. Skin tight Wranglers? a size bigger, Levi's 550s your normal size
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  6. #85
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sepra Peratus/Arkansas
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    Whodat, my wife is one of your examples who does not have the mindset to shoot someone to save her life. She picked-out her own personal defense wheel gun, as she cannot rack any slides due to a crushed arm in an accident. I've taken her to the range countless times, had an instructor talk to her, and stayed out of any pushing and impatient badgering.

    She is a helper, from stopping to help terrapins cross the road, to giving money to her coworkers, and she would help anyone at any time for any reason. We've been to relatives' huge outdoor range where I could let my AR stretch its legs, and she got to try all calibers and some she will not fire again. Mainly my XD-S and .45-70 rifle.

    She is scared to death of firearms because of an incident with an ex-husband who held her head over the sink and stuck a .357 magnum to her head to intimidate her. It worked. She is now scarred for life, will only take a few shots with whatever she is shooting and hand it over to me to shoot.

    Ironically, after getting her wheelgun, she went through a 50 count box after I limbered-up the trigger for her with a few thousand dry fire pulls. I don't know why it went downhill from there, unless the thought of the sink incident.

    I worry she doesn't have the mindset to save her life, if that time ever comes.

    I had a discussion with a returning vet about this very issue, and it not only applies to my wife, but soldiers in the heat of battle "freeze", and can't pull the trigger, even though they are in grave danger. He's seen it.

    She doesn't carry, and uses the .38 special as a night stand sidearm. I've given her a half-dozen lady firearm sites to visit and peruse, but she only went to one for a few minutes.

    She has the tool to protect herself (I wish she could have used a semi-auto), but I'm worried about the freeze factor. Sorry for the editorial, but thought it needed shared.
    Thanks for sharing r1der. There are things in this life that do leave everlasting scars. God Bless your wife.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

  7. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Like foxytwo, I prefer concealed. But there's no debate as far as I'm concerned. I never debate other people's exercise of their own freedoms just because they exercise theirs differently than I exercise mine.
    Exactly, they're both legal options in free America. Generally, I CC in public for the sake of not standing out if SHTF, and open carry when I'm hiking or in the woods, since Bears don't care.

  8. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Lowcountry of South Carolina
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    Whodat, my wife is one of your examples who does not have the mindset to shoot someone to save her life. She picked-out her own personal defense wheel gun, as she cannot rack any slides due to a crushed arm in an accident. I've taken her to the range countless times, had an instructor talk to her, and stayed out of any pushing and impatient badgering.

    She is a helper, from stopping to help terrapins cross the road, to giving money to her coworkers, and she would help anyone at any time for any reason. We've been to relatives' huge outdoor range where I could let my AR stretch its legs, and she got to try all calibers and some she will not fire again. Mainly my XD-S and .45-70 rifle.

    She is scared to death of firearms because of an incident with an ex-husband who held her head over the sink and stuck a .357 magnum to her head to intimidate her. It worked. She is now scarred for life, will only take a few shots with whatever she is shooting and hand it over to me to shoot.

    Ironically, after getting her wheelgun, she went through a 50 count box after I limbered-up the trigger for her with a few thousand dry fire pulls. I don't know why it went downhill from there, unless the thought of the sink incident.

    I worry she doesn't have the mindset to save her life, if that time ever comes.

    I had a discussion with a returning vet about this very issue, and it not only applies to my wife, but soldiers in the heat of battle "freeze", and can't pull the trigger, even though they are in grave danger. He's seen it.

    She doesn't carry, and uses the .38 special as a night stand sidearm. I've given her a half-dozen lady firearm sites to visit and peruse, but she only went to one for a few minutes.

    She has the tool to protect herself (I wish she could have used a semi-auto), but I'm worried about the freeze factor. Sorry for the editorial, but thought it needed shared.
    Well your patience with her is commendable. At least she tries and doesn't completely disavow guns. She allows them in the house, and even in her nightstand, so if it came down to defending herself she might surprise you. If not, I might sound old school or just my upbringing, but sometimes that's what they have us old ugly buggers hanging around for.
    Chief

  9. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Posts
    3,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I do have one objection to open carry or at least a reason I choose not to.

    If I open carry I choose to give up a portion of control over my life. I say this because I canít stop some anti from MWAGing me to the police. I donít really care to expose myself to that hassle.

    Having said that I remain a supporter of your right to carry as you wish
    Treo...please understand I'm bouncing off your post... not addressing you personally...

    If we allow the fear of being hassled by the police for engaging in legally exercising one of our rights then we have voluntarily ceded our authority to exercise that right to the control of... the police. And we have voluntarily given up control over a portion of our life... the portion that says we have control over how we will exercise our right to bear arms.

    Please understand... I'm NOT knocking anyone's decisions. Everyone has the right to decide what they will/will not do for whatever reasons they believe important. But I am trying to point out that whenever we allow fear... fear of public opinion... fear of being noticed.. fear of having to justify our principles by answering questions that strangers ask... fear of being hassled by the police or anti gunners... to restrict exercising our rights then we have allowed simple fear to control our rights. And when we allow that then we are allowing someone else to control our rights.... and those who wish to control... have won... and we let them win because we have allowed ourselves to be intimidated into being controlled.

    Who needs laws that infringe upon rights if just being afraid to exercise a right will stop people from exercising their rights?

    And, after having been through a few MWAG calls and prevailing, I must admit I am still afraid of having to go through another one... but I have made the decision that I will NOT be intimidated into giving up my right to bear arms just because I'm afraid of actually having to stand up and defend it. I am not saying everyone should make the same decision I have made.... just saying that we should all be honest with ourselves as to the reasons we have for making the decisions we do make. And the consequences... the personal consequences and the long range consequences to our rights (which eventually result in personal consequences too).. involved in the decisions we make.

  10. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by dmsetzer318 View Post
    Where do you stand on the Concealed vs Open carry debate?
    I think that both concealed and open carry are good for this country, but I personally prefer to carry 'concealed'.

    'Keep it secret, keep it safe." ~Gandalf~
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

  11. I carry both concealed and open depending on my plans for the day. The nice thing about concealed is that it doesn't draw attention, however when I open carry I stand out. This IMHO can as others have said show that you are not a soft target. When I go out on my motorcycle I typically open carry. When I'm not I tend to conceal more often.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast