Concealed Carry Definition - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Concealed Carry Definition

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

    In Arkansas the law states "concealed from casual view".

    So, as long as it covered by anything that isn't skin tight I'm good to go.

    Paul

    P.S. Like everyone else: How did you get a permit without knowing the answer to this question?
    If you an find the answer in NY gun law I'll give you ten bucks. The term "concealed" isn't defined.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  2.   
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    There's no test. There's no definition of "concealed" in NY firearm or licensing law, thus the question is valid.
    are you saying that in NY knowledge of the applicable laws is not a requirement of obtaining a concealed weapons permit?

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    are you saying that in NY knowledge of the applicable laws is not a requirement of obtaining a concealed weapons permit?
    That is correct. Excepting three or four counties, NY has no requirement codified in state law requiring any safety course or training prior to obtaining a CCW permit. Some counties request you take a home firearm safety course. There is no test. There is no knowledge of the law required. You do not shoot a qualifier. You merely complete the application forms, have your photo and prints taken... and then wait. And you wait a long time as the state is absolutely overrun with CCW permit applications. More than 1 million CCW permit holders and growing very rapidly.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Jackson, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    47
    My NRA instructor, a retired LEO, says that if your pistol creates a "bump" at your waist or a bulge, that it could be anything. It could be a heart monitor, a cell phone, or any type of medical device and that you should try not to worry about it. You need to remember that most people are just not thinking about who is carrying concealed. It is just not something that is "top of mind" for most people.

    Good luck!

  6. #25
    From other threads I've seen on this, NYS doesn't define or address printing. Just carry a gun appropriate for your carry style and you should be fine. 99% of people wouldn't even notice a print for the second or two it happened, OR if they did, know what it was.

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by glockgirl51 View Post
    My NRA instructor, a retired LEO, says that if your pistol creates a "bump" at your waist or a bulge, that it could be anything. It could be a heart monitor, a cell phone, or any type of medical device and that you should try not to worry about it. You need to remember that most people are just not thinking about who is carrying concealed. It is just not something that is "top of mind" for most people.

    Good luck!
    FWIW:
    more bad, erroneous info comes from instructors who think they know all than almost any other source except for maybe cops. in some states printing, which is what that "bump" is usually called" is no big deal in others it could be an issue, until recently printing in TX could result in an arrest.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    READ!!!
    Article 265 - Penal Law - Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons

    The reason the people on this forum are being harsh is because we have seen far too many people come through here looking for a lazy answer to a simple question. The best advice we can give any firearm owner is to become more acquainted with the firearm laws in your state than every attorney you could ever possibly find.

    It is your butt if you break the law. Therefore, know it! The people that seem to know the firearm's laws that I have come across are always the firearm's owners. Be one of those people, for your own protection.

    A question as simple as, "how does NY define 'concealed'" is just a lazy question.

    **Edit, see post #28... I have retracted my statement that this is a lazy question after I have read the NY penal code**
    Last edited by wolf_fire; 08-12-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: retraction
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Alright, I decided to read through the NY penal law for kicks and giggles. I have to admit, the word "concealed" shows up only 3 times and it is not defined.

    Generally concealed means can not be seen, some states have added that it can't "print" through your clothes; in other words, one can't tell you have a firearm through your clothes.

    Depending on where you are in NYS most likely depends on how the LE will interpret this. I echo others responses to contact your local LE department and ask them.

    The LCP can be worn several ways. Pocket holsters that look like you have a wallet in your pocket work nicely, but you say you like tight fitting clothes. You may change your mind on tight clothes if trying to carry a firearm.

    There are also several inside the waistband holsters out there (IWB); I prefer the Kholster.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United Socialist Republic of New York
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    READ!!!
    Article 265 - Penal Law - Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons

    The reason the people on this forum are being harsh is because we have seen far too many people come through here looking for a lazy answer to a simple question. The best advice we can give any firearm owner is to become more acquainted with the firearm laws in your state than every attorney you could ever possibly find.

    It is your butt if you break the law. Therefore, know it! The people that seem to know the firearm's laws that I have come across are always the firearm's owners. Be one of those people, for your own protection.

    A question as simple as, "how does NY define 'concealed'" is just a lazy question.
    I think the last part of calling it a lazy question may be unfair. The definition isn't found in the law, as you mention in a later post but the term is mentioned in within the law.

    If I saw this in another state's laws and couldn't find it after my research, I might be inclined to ask someone to point me in the right direction.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanks for pointing out what I previously pointed out and then answered his question since it is a fair and not a lazy question after all. See post right before yours. I was going to remove that post, but it has a link of the NY penal law which I saw as beneficial for anyone from NY reading this thread, so I left my error up.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast