Maryland Hassels

Thread: Maryland Hassels

Maryland Hassels

With the current legislation, is it worth while for me to apply for a concealed carry here when I know they will ask me "WHY" and I really don't have a valid reason except I want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dillner View Post
    I know they will ask me "WHY" and I really don't have a valid reason except I want to?
    Your "valid answer" is the second amendment.
    Go for it. Apply. Fight till your allowed. Don't back down.....EVER!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dillner View Post
    With the current legislation, is it worth while for me to apply for a concealed carry here when I know they will ask me "WHY" and I really don't have a valid reason except I want to?
    You have plenty of valid reasons...
    • Protection of your family.
    • Protection of yourself.
    • Protection of your property.
    • Because the 2nd amendment says it's your right

to name a few.
    To be honest they shouldn't have a right to ask you why but since they're a "may issue" state send in a printed & notarized copy of the constitution with your name, signature, and the words "This is why" at the end.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

Quote Originally Posted by jfisch View Post

to name a few.
    To be honest they shouldn't have a right to ask you why but since they're a "may issue" state send in a printed & notarized copy of the constitution with your name, signature, and the words "This is why" at the end.
    Only do it if you want to waste 75 dollars on the app fee plus another 60 bucks on the electronic fingerprint fee.

Not gonna happen unless the Woolard case gets to SCOTUS.

Agreed...Just wasn't sure if we're still following the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by jfisch View Post

to name a few.

I'm assuming there is nothing in your background that would disqualify you, so here is what worked for friends and family in my county, which is known to take a LONG time and be a pain in the rear when getting a CCW permit.

First and foremost....You are a law abiding citizen without ANY criminal record, or even a traffic infraction in "x" years. Nothing in your background which would disqualify you.

Are in an occupation which takes you into higher crime neighborhoods or in contact with people you don't know personally? (real estate, etc) My wife was immediately issued an unrestricted carry permit in Erie County, NY as a realtor...no further questions asked.

Do you attend auctions and carry large amounts of cash to those auctions?

Does your work schedule put you in a parking lot walking to your vehicle late at night, alone, some time after the business has closed?

Do you live in an area (rural or sparsely populated suburban) where police/sheriff response would be more than a minute or two?

Finally, if you don't apply, then you have no basis to appeal a possible denial. Read your State and Local laws and regulations for obtaining a permit. Other than the whim of the issuing officer, it should state reasons for denial.... If you apply and are denied, then you have the law to refer to in an appeal. It's now on them to show why you were denied...'for cause'. If denied, you may be able to find a Pro-2A attorney already working on this issue in your area, who could add you to a case already in process.

You are making the assumption that they will deny you without ever trying.

Work or go out late at night? Carry large sums of cash? Maybe you dont like banks ;) May issue states are a pain. As far as the guy who said enclose a copy of the constitution whatever you do, dont do that! Ask around at a range or call up an NRA instructor in your county, theyll typically know the quirks in your area.

My home state of MA is may issue but many juridictions are shall issue by practice. Other want a specific thing written on the app and many will tell you what to write. The MA app requires a "detailed" explanation of why you want a permit and asks for examples, but some PD's only require the words "All Lawful Purposes" on their and thats the end of it. Just gotta see what works in your area

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you all for your feedback, this helps. "jrs" your offering seems particularly useful at the moment.

10. As you likely know, on appeal 4th District Court reversed the lower Courts decision and decided that MDs "good and sufficient reason" is NOT unconstitutional. Planiffs promise appeal to higher court . . . we'll see.

meanwhile, check out the following, especially item #1: MSI Events/Permits Update « Maryland Shall Issue® Maryland Shall Issue®

SAF has filed for CERT from SCOTUS.Numerous Amici briefs have been filed on our behalf. We won't know if CERT is accepted until the panel meets in October.

No. 13-42
    Title:
    Raymond Woollard, et al., Petitioners
    v.
    Denis Gallagher, et al.

Docketed: July 11, 2013
    Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit

Case Nos.: (12-1437)
    Decision Date: March 21, 2013
    Rehearing Denied: April 16, 2013

~~~Date~~~ ~~~~~~~Proceedings and Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jul 9 2013 Petition for a writ of certiorari filed. (Response due August 12, 2013)
    Jul 9 2013 Consent to the filing of amicus curiae briefs, in support of either party or of neither party, received from counsel for the petitioners.
    Aug 6 2013 Order extending time to file response to petition to and including September 9, 2013.
    Aug 12 2013 Brief amicus curiae of Cato Institute filed.
    Aug 12 2013 Brief amici curiae of Gun Owners Foundation, et al. filed.
    Aug 12 2013 Brief amicus curiae of The American Civil Rights Union filed.
    Aug 12 2013 Brief amicus curiae of National Rifle Association, Inc. filed.
    Aug 12 2013 Brief amicus curiae of Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence filed.
    Aug 12 2013 Brief amicus curiae of Academics for the Second Amendment filed.