Want to Know best way to Conceal Carry for a portly man?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to Know best way to Conceal Carry for a portly man?

Want to Know best way to Conceal Carry for a portly man?

I am a little overweight and have a Glock 19 and was wondering what would be the best way to conceal carry?

Seems like more towards my back works better (away from the roll...lol) but was wondering if I should even consider a more compact size gun to fit/conceal correctly?

Thank You Everyone

It’s been my experience that sometimes there’s only a half inch difference between concealed carry and you might as well be open carrying. You have to move the gun around a little to find that sweet spot.

You also have to be willing to change your wardrobe a little you may have to go up a size in clothes depending on how you carry.

Ideally (and I hesitate to say this because I know it’s gonna start a fight) you could also lose a few pounds
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I use a inside the waistband and have no problems at 3-4 position. I can carry a full sized M&P 40 all day in that rig. But if you want a smaller gun sounds like a good excuse to get one. Oh I also bought a very good gun belt.

5. Ive ran into similar problems with my gut and have found that inside the pocket works best for me. I sweat like a valet driver in Fallujah and much of it will end up on my pistol if I carry in the waistband or the small of the back. There is a solution for this problem in the Neoprene holsters being made by N82tactical. http://n82tactical.com/n82store/ I look forward to purchasing one in the near future.

I will most definitely look into maybe a little larger shirts.

And...... The last statement...

I actually was around 285 pounds about 3 years ago and now around 200lbs... but my height (5'7") doesn't allow me to spread the weight out. So portly it is right now. but losing weight now.

I do appreciate your honesty and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB777 View Post
    II actually was around 285 pounds about 3 years ago and now around 200lbs... but my height (5'7") doesn't allow me to spread the weight out. So portly it is right now. but losing weight now.
    Wasn’t trying to be a prick I am just about the same size you are now and I was just about the same size you were 3 years ago. So, Yeah I know what it feels like
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Blog Entries
    I would think OWB would be the most comfortable. I'm a smaller guy and I primarily use a Bianchi Carrylok holster. In my search for reviews on it I found this one by a "man of larger stature":

He's using it with a 1911 but I know they make it for Glock 19.
    I have the belt kind but they also make a paddle version.
    Great holster with great retention.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

I'm 5'11" 230 lbs. and HATE IWB. There, I said it What a relief. My solution is over sized T shirt or Golf shirt etc. untucked of course. I often carry OWB with one of my blackhawk holsters or a nice custom leather holster I picked up from the maker at a gun show. I'm looking at a number of shoulder holster rigs. I want one where the gun is carried vertically (I'm a bit past the point where my gymnastics would cause the gun to fall from the holster and I don't need snaps or anything as an extra form of retention). I also have a couple of t shirts with an under arm carry pocket from tactical 511 and a leather vest with gun pockets built into each side. Obviously those are for months where temperatures aren't breaking 100 (20 days this summer in Salt Lake this yr. with a couple more likely).
    Good luck in your quest and congrats on a fairly massive weight loss effort.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

10. MTB777 I'm built like you about the same height, a little heavier and I carry a Glock 31 IWB at the 4 o'clock position. I use a Ragsdale compression holder and I carry it high (there's three height adjusting holes for the clips) so the barrel only protrudes about 4" below the belt and with a loose shirt you can't see it at all. My wife doesn't know when I'm carrying. I carry from the time I get up until I go to bed. One time when she kissed me goodbye her hand accidentally brushed against it, she looked at me and said "Really?" I just smiled and said, "I'm packin'."

(I just saw benq's post) I forgot to mention my that my holster has a 15 degree forward tilt which keeps the grip closer to the body.

I carry at 8 o'clock as a southpaw, that would be 4 o'clock for RH. Also my gun's cant is more than 15 degrees making the grip angle up more than out. A bit easier to hide, less print. IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast