DA/SA pistol: safety on or off - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA pistol: safety on or off

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    And Gil Hibben uses Taiwanese and Chinese 440C stainless steel in the overwhelming majority of his mass production runs. His designs are sometimes interesting, but they're usually intended as "art" rather than being useful as a hard-working tool. Using 440C (or any 400 series steel) is indicative of that fact.
    We're not talking about mass production runs we're talking about the knives Rambo carried that were made in America by Americans

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    please find a more reliable source than Wikipedia before correcting me again.

Rambo
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    We're not talking about mass production runs we're talking about the knives Rambo carried that were made in America by Americans
    Nope, we're not talking at all. Goodbye.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    Somehow I knew when I read the first post, I would be able to read every post, and everyone would proclaim, safety off.

Is this a Rambo crowd, or what?

I own and at times CC a DA/SA decocker, a Beretta Px4 Storm Sub Compact 9mm. I keep a round in the chamber, and the safety ON!

If all you guys were submarine captains, I bet the nuclear strike keys would be dangling in the control boxes, 24/7.

People who train with safeties on, are how much slower than those that train with safeties off? The speed of the presentation is almost the same time wise, but it takes longer for the safety off people to get to the firing line to qualify, because they all walk to the firing line with Glock Leg. lol

For me, safety is first. How can anyone proclaim, safety first, if your own sidearm, has the safety off?

In firearm safety classes, as a Chief Range Safety Officer, we train students, if you have a safety, place the gun on safety before reholstering your pistol.

My usual CC pistol is any one of several Glocks, and I never have ammo in my Glocks, without first placing a trigger block safety in them. Easy, and instantaneous to remove should I need my gun.

Attachment 10246
    Asinine. What is the purpose of having a safety ON when the gun is in YOUR possession and holstered when it has NOTHING to do with the functionality of the weapon (ie. 1911). Which is why I don't carry a 1911. When I'm dealt with a deadly force encounter, I don't want to rely on my thumb to release a safety when my heart rate is approaching 150-200 beats/min and adrenaline is coursing through my body. Chances are my fine motor skills will be shot and all I should focus on is the front sight and squeezing the trigger.

Instead of focusing on the external safety of the weapon, safe handling in general should be taught. Such as clearing the weapon each and every time it gets handled, treat it as its always loaded, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    Somehow I knew when I read the first post, I would be able to read every post, and everyone would proclaim, safety off.

Is this a Rambo crowd, or what?

I own and at times CC a DA/SA decocker, a Beretta Px4 Storm Sub Compact 9mm. I keep a round in the chamber, and the safety ON!

If all you guys were submarine captains, I bet the nuclear strike keys would be dangling in the control boxes, 24/7.

People who train with safeties on, are how much slower than those that train with safeties off? The speed of the presentation is almost the same time wise, but it takes longer for the safety off people to get to the firing line to qualify, because they all walk to the firing line with Glock Leg. lol

For me, safety is first. How can anyone proclaim, safety first, if your own sidearm, has the safety off?

In firearm safety classes, as a Chief Range Safety Officer, we train students, if you have a safety, place the gun on safety before reholstering your pistol.

My usual CC pistol is any one of several Glocks, and I never have ammo in my Glocks, without first placing a trigger block safety in them. Easy, and instantaneous to remove should I need my gun.

Attachment 10246
    I, too, am a Chief Range Safety Officer. I'm not sure what that has to do with teaching pistol courses. As a CRSO, I write SOPs for ranges and watch the line, help with malfunctions but don't instruct students. I do instruct students in pistol and defense classes. Your argument about putting on a "safety" is correct for a SA 1911, but for DA guns, not so much. Some will and some will not allow the "safety" to be engaged in DA. This is no different than carrying an Smith and Wesson M&P or a Glock. The only true safety is keeping your finger out of the trigger when holstering and unholstering the firearm. Some of us are so well trained we index our fingers when we pick up spray bottles, drills, etc. Perhaps, continuing education beyond NRA classes would assist in this fear. Thunder Ranch, Gunsight, Archangel Tactical, Mas Ayoob (the MAG80 is supposed to be awesome) all give incredible classes.

Safety off...

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch til ready to fire..

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MDT View Post
    I do have a CZ RAMI! You have good taste in guns. I also have a couple other carry options because, well, a girl sometimes dresses her gun to her clothing. I have been known to carry the 1911 style guns "cocked and locked" and have practiced thumbing the safety during the draw stroke. If you train for it, the safety doesn't slow you down.
    Yeah, I think the whole CZ line is generally underrated. Well-made, reliable weapons. We have two RAMIs, one poly (my wife's) and one alloy (mine). I bought two poly versions in the same purchase like six or seven years ago. One had a burr develop on the chamber block that fouled against the ejection port of the slide, and locked itself closed after maybe 50 rounds the first time out. Called CZ, they authorized sending it in for warranty and overnighted an overnight shipping label, they called back the same day they received it to tell me that they didn't want to try to fix it and I could have my choice of any handgun in their line for my troubles. I was tempted to upgrade to a 75 (B, P-01 or P-07), but I had already bought a bunch of leather and mag carriers, as well as extra mags, for the RAMI, so I stuck with it, except went for the alloy model as a replacement, which was an upgrade in and of itself. I had my shiny new alloy RAMI delivered exactly 7 days after my initial call to them. Not only are their weapons well-made, but their customer service is outta this world!

As far as practicing with safety on and being just as fast and proficient with it in that condition, it does apply as more or less the same between the RAMI in cocked and locked mode and a 1911 style weapon, but it doesn't compare so well between the RAMI and my S&W 4563TSW. The lever on the .45 is easy enough to index, but it's direction of travel is opposite from the RAMI's, and the length of travel is ~70 compared to the RAMI's ~10 in the opposite direction, and the RAMI's safety is very thin and not so easy to index.

There's just no need for me to change what has worked well for very close to 40 years for me. More than just training for the mechanics of adding another movement to my draw, I'd have to retrain my long-standing and oft-practiced muscle memory, which at my age, is probably better than my mental memory! LOL

BTW, it wasn't hard to guess what weapon you had. There might be some examples out there somewhere, but I've never heard of another true DA/SA weapon with the same external safety features, and you described the RAMI's very well and was easy to recognize.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Blog Entries
    Omg pass the popcorn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    Asinine. What is the purpose of having a safety ON when the gun is in YOUR possession and holstered when it has NOTHING to do with the functionality of the weapon (ie. 1911). Which is why I don't carry a 1911. When I'm dealt with a deadly force encounter, I don't want to rely on my thumb to release a safety when my heart rate is approaching 150-200 beats/min and adrenaline is coursing through my body. Chances are my fine motor skills will be shot and all I should focus on is the front sight and squeezing the trigger.

Instead of focusing on the external safety of the weapon, safe handling in general should be taught. Such as clearing the weapon each and every time it gets handled, treat it as its always loaded, etc.
    Do as I do and carry a gun without a mechanical safety.

10. Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    <snip>

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch til ready to fire..
    <snip>
    Wow, I like that. Care if I use it for my sig file?

Quote Originally Posted by MDT View Post
    If you train for it, the safety doesn't slow you down.
    until it does and then you're dead
    YMMV

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast