DA/SA pistol: safety on or off - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA pistol: safety on or off

Well, anything could cause you to die. I can't tell you how many people can't draw from their carry holsters efficiently, fail to understand the difference between cover and concealment, getting off the "X", drawing and shooting from retention... It ALL comes down to training and practice (not just standing in front of a static target).

3. If the safety is on while carrying concealed, your not ready. You should have a round in the chamber and safety OFF.
    In the scenario given.

I have guns since 1995. Always with 1 in the chamber and decoker ON. I am trained/practice, and for me is almost automatic to turn the safety off with my thumb as soon as I pull the gun out of the holster. I think that if you are not good enought to control/handle your thumb, you are not good enought to control your index/trigger finger....which is the most riskiest thing with your safety off.

Again PRACTICE, PRACTICE, MUSCLE MEMORY.

[QUOTE=lostinataxi;461063]Shooting at the range, in class, is not the same as being in a real gunfight. Why would you want to insert an extra step that you may or may not forget to do when you are in a stressful situation like a real gunfight? Also, is there any real difference between a DA semi-auto and a revolver when it comes to safety? Both need to have the trigger pulled to fire and the pull is much harder on DA than it is in SA. This is all the safety I need. If you need more than that, go for it. Chances are good you will never need to pull and use the weapon anyhow since they are like fire extinguishers, there if needed.....but how many fires have you had? Most people, fortunately, will be able to say none. I still have my extinguishers though, just in case. [/QUO

Using your same "rational" about the stresful situation...Can you imaging your index/trigger finger action on a stress impulse??? Are you going to aim/point to the correct area? or due to the stress are you going to just present the gun and pull the trigger?

Some of us have itty bitty thumbs that can't reach safeties. And all of us should know that you never, ever leave weapons where children can reach them, or ask people with no familiarity to handle them, or point the business end of a firearm at anything you don't intend to destroy. As long as a gun is in one piece, it's never unloaded. The safety is never on.

So, frankly, it doesn't matter how you carry.

Half cock one in the chamber no safety, BTW.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Javy View Post
    I have guns since 1995. Always with 1 in the chamber and decoker ON. I am trained/practice, and for me is almost automatic to turn the safety off with my thumb as soon as I pull the gun out of the holster. I think that if you are not good enought to control/handle your thumb, you are not good enought to control your index/trigger finger....which is the most riskiest thing with your safety off.

Again PRACTICE, PRACTICE, MUSCLE MEMORY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Javy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinataxi View Post
    Shooting at the range, in class, is not the same as being in a real gunfight. Why would you want to insert an extra step that you may or may not forget to do when you are in a stressful situation like a real gunfight? Also, is there any real difference between a DA semi-auto and a revolver when it comes to safety? Both need to have the trigger pulled to fire and the pull is much harder on DA than it is in SA. This is all the safety I need. If you need more than that, go for it. Chances are good you will never need to pull and use the weapon anyhow since they are like fire extinguishers, there if needed.....but how many fires have you had? Most people, fortunately, will be able to say none. I still have my extinguishers though, just in case.
    Using your same "rational" about the stresful situation...Can you imaging your index/trigger finger action on a stress impulse??? Are you going to aim/point to the correct area? or due to the stress are you going to just present the gun and pull the trigger?
    I noticed you failed to answer his questions.

1. Why would you want to insert an extra step that you may or may not forget to do when you are in a stressful situation like a real gunfight? And I would like to add "that has only adds a very minuscule margin of safety when the gun is already in a good fitting retention holster with the trigger guard covered". What's the point of impeding my gun from being used by one additional mechanical device that is 99% not needed in a good holster?

2. Also, is there any real difference between a DA semi-auto and a revolver when it comes to safety? Both need to have the trigger pulled to fire and the pull is much harder on DA than it is in SA.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    My usual CC pistol is any one of several Glocks, and I never have ammo in my Glocks, without first placing a trigger block safety in them. Easy, and instantaneous to remove should I need my gun.
    Do you do the same with revolvers? And... can you point us to police departments that won't issue or load Glocks without modifying them to add an external safety first?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Blog Entries
    When I carried by Bersa Thunder 380 (which is a DA/SA) I had one in the chamber safety off (de-cocker is a better term for it). Now I've switched to an Ruger SR40c. It's a striker fire with a really short trigger pull and I've had fears of it firing when I put it into the holster and something got in the way of the trigger. I guess I need to realize that once I get it in the holster the trigger is safe so why have the safety on? I'll carry it safety off from now on as most posters are right that there's no need to add an extra step. Keep the trigger clear until you're ready to use it and you won't need a safety. You are the safety.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

Safety off when carrying. Same as most of you guys.
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

I carry my Ruger SR40C in a 3 Speed Holster. I baby sit my 9 month grandson, who jumps all over my lap, and had kicked the safety into HOT. I am still new at this. Around the house, it's safety on...When I am out, it will be safety off. I need to get a Blue gun to practice draw with more.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast