DA/SA pistol: safety on or off - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: DA/SA pistol: safety on or off

It really depends on the gun. Is there a hammer block to prevent it from striking the firing pin with the safety off?

When I was in the USAF we carried the M-9 hammer down safety off, but that pistol is designed to be carried that way.

When I carry a USP 45, it is hammer down safety off.

When I carry a high power, it is cocked and locked.

When I carry a makarov it is hammer down safety on.

I practice regular handling drills with all 3 guns and I am very adept at functioning all 3 weapons.

Please be advised that all three have safeties that disengage in the same motion/direction of travel.

My baby eagle was carried hammer down safety off but usually on an empty chamber.

I did not like the fact that the safety disengaged by flipping it up.
    I donated it to my son as his first carry pistol. He loves it.
    Last edited by festus; 08-21-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: syntax

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Needham View Post
    Wow, I like that. Care if I use it for my sig file?
    Please! Feel free to use it. I heard it first, here, from one or more of our exceptional posters!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Quote Originally Posted by MDT View Post
    Well, anything could cause you to die. I can't tell you how many people can't draw from their carry holsters efficiently, fail to understand the difference between cover and concealment, getting off the "X", drawing and shooting from retention... It ALL comes down to training and practice (not just standing in front of a static target).
    you're preaching to the choir here, I will say it again, advocating carrying with the safety on because of other skill problems is also quite foolish

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I carry my Ruger SR40C in a 3 Speed Holster. I baby sit my 9 month grandson, who jumps all over my lap, and had kicked the safety into HOT. I am still new at this. Around the house, it's safety on...When I am out, it will be safety off. I need to get a Blue gun to practice draw with more.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app
    when you baby sit your grandson you should consider disarming and locking the weapon in a safe place, it is never too early to start forming good habits because until the kid is old to enough to understand the lethality of a gun the kid should never have any kind of access to one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I carry my Ruger SR40C in a 3 Speed Holster. I baby sit my 9 month grandson, who jumps all over my lap, and had kicked the safety into HOT. I am still new at this. Around the house, it's safety on...When I am out, it will be safety off. I need to get a Blue gun to practice draw with more.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app
    If you want to practice your draw I suggest you do it with your carry gun and not a "blue gun". Get some .40 snap caps, they're like $15 online. Use them in your mag so you can practice drawing, racking, reloading, running malfunction drills and dry firing. No point in training with something else. You don't see MLB players practice with aluminum bats and then switch to wood during a game. Same bat all the time.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

[QUOTE=Javy;461360]
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinataxi View Post
    Shooting at the range, in class, is not the same as being in a real gunfight. Why would you want to insert an extra step that you may or may not forget to do when you are in a stressful situation like a real gunfight? Also, is there any real difference between a DA semi-auto and a revolver when it comes to safety? Both need to have the trigger pulled to fire and the pull is much harder on DA than it is in SA. This is all the safety I need. If you need more than that, go for it. Chances are good you will never need to pull and use the weapon anyhow since they are like fire extinguishers, there if needed.....but how many fires have you had? Most people, fortunately, will be able to say none. I still have my extinguishers though, just in case. [/QUO

Using your same "rational" about the stresful situation...Can you imaging your index/trigger finger action on a stress impulse??? Are you going to aim/point to the correct area? or due to the stress are you going to just present the gun and pull the trigger?
    I have no clue. I do what works for me and makes sense for me. That's it.
    "Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits" - Elmer Fudd
    NRA Life member
    GOA Life Member

Do bad guys carry with it locked and loaded? With safety on or off?

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    If the criminal's gun even functions and is loaded with the correct ammunition https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...ns-they-carry/

Quote Originally Posted by jfisch View Post
    When I carried by Bersa Thunder 380 (which is a DA/SA) I had one in the chamber safety off (de-cocker is a better term for it). Now I've switched to an Ruger SR40c. It's a striker fire with a really short trigger pull and I've had fears of it firing when I put it into the holster and something got in the way of the trigger. I guess I need to realize that once I get it in the holster the trigger is safe so why have the safety on? I'll carry it safety off from now on as most posters are right that there's no need to add an extra step. Keep the trigger clear until you're ready to use it and you won't need a safety. You are the safety.
    You can learn through your own experiences, and advice from strangers on the internet, or you can learn from knowledgeable firearm instructors, and gun owners manuals, etc. Let us know how it goes. Your question, why have the safety on?

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Do you carry a pocket knife? Have you ever accidently cut yourself? How many other people have you stabbed trying to defend yourself with your pocket knife? Point being, most of us that carry defensive tools, never get into altercations with those tools, and that is good. However, many of us accidently (negligently) harm ourselves or a family member carrying those tools of defense. A safety on a gun, is one direct line of defense to help protect US, while we are carrying these tools of defense to protect ourselves from THEM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast