1911 vs Python

Thread: 1911 vs Python

1. 1911 vs Python

I will be getting my CCW in a few months and have what I will need for my 1911. However, no matter how much I shoot, I can not get as comfortable and as accurate with it as I can my 4" ported Python. Would it be practical to consider carrying it instead? Concealment may not be an issue during the colder months, but I'm not sure I like the idea of swapping out carry guns. It seems to me that sticking with one would be the smartest thing to do.

Anybody with some input or experience that can give me some suggestions?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Eddystone View Post
    I will be getting my CCW in a few months and have what I will need for my 1911. However, no matter how much I shoot, I can not get as comfortable and as accurate with it as I can my 4" ported Python. Would it be practical to consider carrying it instead? Concealment may not be an issue during the colder months, but I'm not sure I like the idea of swapping out carry guns. It seems to me that sticking with one would be the smartest thing to do.

Anybody with some input or experience that can give me some suggestions?
    I am very Familiar with Both weapons as an US Marine Retired. Both are excellent weapons and will serve you well if maintained properly. My suggestion is to carry the one that feels best to you & you shoot better. I personally carry the M1911 due to its hitting/stopping power. However, I do also switch to a SIG 229 in 40 cal. I carry with a belt or shoulder holster 4 each. If I am going 2 carry for a long period of time, i like the shoulder holster. Just my preference. You need 2 experiment and discover what you like and is best for you. No matter which weapon you select, PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND when you feel confident, PRACTICE more. Practice move and shoot as stationary will get you killed in my opinion. Again, just me. Lastly, I installed Crimson Trace laser sights on my weapons. I do NOT use the laser as a crutch but 4 fast target acquisition, esp in a dark room. Have fun deciding and PRACTICE. I hope I help you a little.

Starting off it would be a good idea to carry one. As George Maddog stated practice, practice your draw with the clothes that you will wear. Practice running the gun, magazine, safety, extra ammo... I switch between 4 depending on the weather and what I am wearing. A good quality belt and holster will make a world of difference when carrying a large heavy pistol. And yes a good shoulder holster is much more comfortable. One of my carry options is a small 9mm. It will fit in my pocket and at 17 oz. (empty) I forget it's there. I know several that start out carrying large heavy guns and after 6 months stop carrying. Find what works for you. You might change the sights on your 1911, or try different ammo. If there is even slight movement with the barrel time to change the barrel bushing.

Both seem a little heavy, for extended CC. Yes, call me a wimp. Remember, most reasons for CC gun use are up close & personal, it's not target shooting at 25 yards. Bring it on in, practice 'bent elbow shooting', tune that S.A. & mindset.

I own both, and have carried both. I think that you should carry all revolvers, or all semi-autos. I say this because I shoot with my right index finger on the front of the trigger guard. In revolvers, you could have a problem with hot gas from the cylinder/barrel gap eating your index finger. If you carry both types exercise extreme caution.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

7. Thanks for the responses. As of now, it's not in the budget to go smaller, and I have no intention of parting with either of theses two pistols. So, as it stands, they are my only options (as I'm not even considering my Ruger MkII target model with 6 7/8" barrel, for obvious reasons.). I like what I've seen and heard about Ruger's SR series pistols, and if possible, will probably go that route in the future.

Try to carry the Python and see.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

9. Starsky or Hutch, your call!