Applied for a License

Thread: Applied for a License

Applied for a License

Now that I have turned in my application for a license to carry a handgun in Maryland, what is their process? What do they do to "analyze" me? Do they send a letter to those people I put as references? Do they come and talk to my neighbors? Thoughts?

Good luck with that

It appears that the answers to your questions are "the cops," and "I suppose, if they feel like it." Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    -
    A background investigation to include, but not limited to, a fingerprint generated criminal history will be initiated on those applications accurately submitted in their entirety. The date the background is initiated depends on the accuracy, truthfulness, and completeness of the submission. The Maryland State Police will investigate the character, reputation, and qualifications of each applicant and shall:

1. Include an investigation of the applicant’s criminal record, including record checks of local police departments and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

References will be contacted. It is important to supply references that know you and those that will speak to investigators on your behalf. Difficulty locating references will further delay the application process.

In making a determination as to whether a permit will be issued to the applicant, the following areas will be a part of every investigation and will be considered in determining whether a permit will be issued:

1. Verification of the information supplied by the applicant in the application and associated documents;

2. Occupation or profession of the applicant;

3. Geographical area of residence and employment of the applicant;

4. Criminal record of applicant, including any juvenile record for an applicant younger than 30 years old, as specifically outlined in Public Safety Article §5-306, Annotated Code of Maryland;

5. Medical history of applicant as it may pertain to the applicant’s fitness to wear, carry, or transport a handgun;

6. Psychiatric or psychological background of applicant as it may pertain to the applicant’s fitness to wear, carry, or transport a handgun;

7. Reasons given by the applicant as to whether those reasons are good and substantial;

8. Age of applicant;

9. Applicant’s use of intoxicating beverages and drugs;

10. Information received from personal references and other persons interviewed;

11. Information received from business or employment references as may be necessary in the discretion of the investigator;

12. Whether the applicant has any alternate available to him/her for protection other than the handgun permit;

13. Whether the applicant falls within those classes of individuals who do not need permits as outlined in the Handgun Permit Law;

14. The applicant’s propensity for violence or instability which could reasonably render his/her wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun a danger to himself or other persons he/she may come in contact with;

15. Whether the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution for the applicant against apprehended danger.

It is essential that sufficient supporting information be provided to assist the Department of State Police in the processing of Handgun Permit applications. Delays occur when submissions are absent supporting documents, references cannot be located or refuse to respond to questions, or false, inaccurate, or incomplete information is supplied on the application.

The Secretary may limit the geographic area, circumstances, or times of the day, week, month, or year in which the permit is effective.

Maryland State Police > Organization > Support Services Bureau > Licensing Division > Handgun Permit

When, in the name of God, will you folks in places like Maryland, new York, California, etc. going to start voting with your feet. Virginia is just across the river from Maryland, one of the most 2A friendly states in the country. We in Virginia enjoy our firearms and our sense of security. If mccauliffe gets elected we will be treated like children just like in those states aforementioned. You say you can't move...but you can be oppressed. Firearm owners are the most responsible citizens in the country. They believe in a constitutional republic. They pay their taxes, they actually have jobs and work, they contribute more to their communities than any other group...how long can your current states of residence do without you before collapsing from heir liberal ideology. How long will you endure your governments asking your neighbors if you are fit enough to carry a firearm. How long will you continue to pay your government to ask those questions...how long are you oing to be treated like a child...forever or will you finally begin to boycott your keepers. Like a dog on a leash, you guys must heel to the dictates of your government. Now...heel...or break the leash!

Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    When, in the name of God, will you folks in places like Maryland, new York, California, etc. going to start voting with your feet. Virginia is just across the river from Maryland, one of the most 2A friendly states in the country. We in Virginia enjoy our firearms and our sense of security. If mccauliffe gets elected we will be treated like children just like in those states aforementioned. You say you can't move...but you can be oppressed. Firearm owners are the most responsible citizens in the country. They believe in a constitutional republic. They pay their taxes, they actually have jobs and work, they contribute more to their communities than any other group...how long can your current states of residence do without you before collapsing from heir liberal ideology. How long will you endure your governments asking your neighbors if you are fit enough to carry a firearm. How long will you continue to pay your government to ask those questions...how long are you oing to be treated like a child...forever or will you finally begin to boycott your keepers. Like a dog on a leash, you guys must heel to the dictates of your government. Now...heel...or break the leash!
    I admire your pride in your state of Virginia. However, MD borders PA and WV too. They too are 2A friendly. :)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Why don't they include a colonoscopy as well.

No, wait,we need to do that politicians, to determine whether they are perfect <insert anatomical part> or not.
    Never argue with a red-haired witch. It wastes your breath and only delays the inevitable. --the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt

About moving to Virginia, I would move, but the wife has tenure at the university -- too cushy a thing to move away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dillner View Post
    About moving to Virginia, I would move, but the wife has tenure at the university -- too cushy a thing to move away from.
    People commute all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimTh View Post
    When, in the name of God, will you folks in places like Maryland, new York, California, etc. going to start voting with your feet.
    Or they could vote with their votes. The problem seems to be, though, that those of us who want to take America back from the politicians can't keep fighting amongst ourselves to unite enough to do anything. You never see the anti-gun crowd fighting among themselves. We, the pro-gun, lesser government group do have the majority in this country, but we can't keep from dividing ourselves into several smaller minorities over little things.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Or they could vote with their votes. The problem seems to be, though, that those of us who want to take America back from the politicians can't keep fighting amongst ourselves to unite enough to do anything. You never see the anti-gun crowd fighting among themselves. We, the pro-gun, lesser government group do have the majority in this country, but we can't keep from dividing ourselves into several smaller minorities over little things.
    We do quite a bit of volunteer campaigning for the Republican ticket here in Virginia including getting tables at the local gun shows. One thing we have been told is that gun people are notoriously absent from the voting booth. I have gotten into a few debates with the libertarians that will vote for the libertarian candidate instead of the Republican ticket because they think the Republican candidate wants to take away birth control. Made me wonder if they think like that maybe they shouldn't be at a gun show, they should have just stayed in their mothers basement and smoked a bit more pot. The country is far too full of folks that get their news from a bumper sticker or a ten second sound bite. If the 2A crowd stays away from the polls this year we may have Maryland gun control in Virginia. If that happens I may have to move out.