Your first time? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your first time?

Quote Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
    With concealed carry just a short time away in Illinois, I've been researching products and talking to instructors to get ready. What I would like to know from some experienced people is how you felt your first day carrying out in public? Were you nervous like you were sure everyone could tell? Was/is it comforting to know you can defend yourself? Did you have any trouble with police or uninformed citizens? Any mishaps?
    I can let you know tomorrow. I just picked up my CCDW permit this morning.
    LOL
    Over all so far I don't even notice the gun and I dont think anyone else does either. unless you are trained to know what to look for.

First time out with my concealed carry and I stop at the grocery store to get a few things, no problem. I make a conscious effort not to adjust or favor the gun. I am feeling pretty good turn a corner and find myself face to face with a cop. Lol there went my self assuredness. Oh my god he knows I am carrying! I have my permit but is he going to freak out because I have a gun, what now? Lol the cop looks at me smiles and nods, picks up some hamburger and leaves.

So much for being all cool

Quote Originally Posted by nytetears View Post
    First time out with my concealed carry and I stop at the grocery store to get a few things, no problem. I make a conscious effort not to adjust or favor the gun. I am feeling pretty good turn a corner and find myself face to face with a cop. Lol there went my self assuredness. Oh my god he knows I am carrying! I have my permit but is he going to freak out because I have a gun, what now? Lol the cop looks at me smiles and nods, picks up some hamburger and leaves.

So much for being all cool
    Just remember, he carries one too. No need to be nervous about another person only because they have a badge. Thanks for sharing your first experience and hopefully we'll hear more from you in threads to come. Welcome to the forums.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I just got my CC license earlier this year so this is fresh in my memory. I wasn't all that nervous since I had my license and it was legal but I definitely felt like everyone could tell. I carry a XDM 3.8 compact 9mm with the smaller magazine inside of a N82 Tactical holster professional model (with this holster I was able to avoid the box of holsters syndrome). I'm sure some people do carry bigger guns but this gun is about as big as I would want to carry. I constantly asked my wife if I was showing and she got tired of me asking if she could tell I was carrying a gun. My kids never noticed even after a few hugs where I was sure they would have felt the gun while hugging me. They were surprised later when I told them that I was actually carrying when we were out at this or that place. It definitely gets easier after you do it for a while.

(adjust my tin foil hat)
    If I were living in Illinois I might rather get a CC permit from another state that then allows me to carry in IL. I don't know of the differences or restrictions associated with IL reciprocity but I do know I don't trust crooked politicians. This is a state that is only doing this because they were told they had to do it otherwise they would not allow it. What they will do with this CC information is anyone's guess. There have been names released by other states and even listed by media sources. If IL has some sort of leak do you think the people running things are actually going to care and seek out who leaked that info. If they do it will be to promote the person who did it. That is just the typical run of the mill type stuff but what if those in charge decide to be more proactive with their attack on those who wish to CC? I may sound crazy but the police chief has already come out and voiced his opinion. Why give your money to a state that sees you as the bad guy? After that state has your money and your name they could make life a little more difficult if they choose to do so. Maybe the state will decide that if a bad guy (someone with a CC permit) applies for a business permit that the state will need to vigorously investigate this individual and require lots more work on the part of the bad guy to get a business license. I know this may sound like a crazy hypothetical but after seeing what a Chicago politician did on the national level using the IRS against Tea Party conservatives I don't think I am too far off my rocker to suspect that IL may not use CC info in the most respected manner.

Quote Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
    With concealed carry just a short time away in Illinois, I've been researching products and talking to instructors to get ready. What I would like to know from some experienced people is how you felt your first day carrying out in public? Were you nervous like you were sure everyone could tell? Was/is it comforting to know you can defend yourself? Did you have any trouble with police or uninformed citizens? Any mishaps?
    Fortunately, Michigan is an open carry state, so when I first carried concealed, I didn't care whether people could see it or not. I do like to be discreet though.

I carry a P229 in a Serpa paddle holster at 4:00. Being of slim stature, my gun prints rather well, however, I have noticed that even though the sheeple may know that the scary gun is there, if they can't actually see it, then it can't see them and all is right with their little world.
    A man must do what he has to do, ain't none of us getting out of this alive....I have it from a reliable source....
    There can be no love without pain; to show you the value of love......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123