Lock and Load - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock and Load

1. All very good points and very helpful info. I have been carrying with one chambered. The old adage of carrying an empty gun is like carrying no gun.

3. I carry a 1911 cocked and locked and I have also studied the martial arts. When a person attacks with a knife block the knife with one hand as you draw with the other. In a knife attack you will get cut or stabbed,just don't let them get to your vital organs. Don't be so focused on your gun that you forget to block the attack.

I saw this a while ago... Kind of left me with a "Well shoot, what now?" impression. I haven't got the time or money to learn a martial art (though I intend to someday--maybe this summer if I'm lucky), and on a good day I might weigh 120 or 125.

I do carry round chambered, safety off (M&P Shield usually), so if I can move backwards fast enough to get my gun out, it's ready to go. I do practice running backwards and shooting, of course, as well as other directions. But, there's no way to run backwards anywhere close to as fast as someone running forwards.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

5. These are trained officers...I can't fathom how slow I or my wife would be if presented this attack. More reason to be very aware of your surroundings to identify any potential threats before you have to pull your weapon to resist an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    I saw this a while ago... Kind of left me with a "Well shoot, what now?" impression. I haven't got the time or money to learn a martial art (though I intend to someday--maybe this summer if I'm lucky), and on a good day I might weigh 120 or 125.
    Bruce Lee didn't weigh much more than that
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Bruce Lee didn't weigh much more than that
    Yeah... He's a little better trained in martial arts than I am...
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Yeah... He's a little better trained in martial arts than I am...
    At the moment he's really not

I you can't train in a martial art what's to stop you from lifting weights and hitting a heavy bag?

In the words of Hal Mooreland (LTG USA RET) 3 strikes and you are not out! There is always one more thing you can do.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    At the moment he's really not

I you can't train in a martial art what's to stop you from lifting weights and hitting a heavy bag?

In the words of Hal Mooreland (LTG USA RET) 3 strikes and you are not out! There is always one more thing you can do.
    He still has experience, and I have none.

I do lift weights, actually. It's a class with weights + cardio, so one heck of a workout. Don't have a heavy bag, though... Weights are hard enough on my wrists as-is (have to be very mindful of proper form or ouch). There's a couple places near by where I can learn things geared for smaller people (women, but without resorting to hitting someone with a high heel I don't have), I just don't currently have the time or money to do it. It's tough with a very active six-year-old who can't sit still or entertain himself quietly through a class, and I can't afford to pay for the class AND a babysitter.
    Modern Whig

He still has experience, and I have none.

I do lift weights, actually. It's a class with weights + cardio, so one heck of a workout. Don't have a heavy bag, though... Weights are hard enough on my wrists as-is (have to be very mindful of proper form or ouch). There's a couple places near by where I can learn things geared for smaller people (women, but without resorting to hitting someone with a high heel I don't have), I just don't currently have the time or money to do it. It's tough with a very active six-year-old who can't sit still or entertain himself quietly through a class, and I can't afford to pay for the class AND a babysitter.

You don't have to explain yourself Telpinaro.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    You don't have to explain yourself Telpinaro.
    Has the final authority spoken?
    Barrett Tillman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast