Lock and Load - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lock and Load

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoosterShooter View Post
    My daily CCW is a S&W M&P 40. This is the first gun I have owned that does not have a manual safety on it. I don't carry with one in the pipe simply because of there notion being a physical safety. I have been told you and throw it against a wall and it won't discharge but I still have that fear.
    I entered law enforcement in 1977 and carried a revolver for ten years before switching to the Glock 17. My revover and my Glock had two safeties: my trigger finger (which was outside the triggerguard until I was prepared to shoot) and my brain... Never depend upon a mechanical safety for "safety", my friend!! You are perfectly safe without a mechanical safety IF you follow the appropriate safety rules......

One other quick point..... Rule #1 in a gun fight is to have a loaded gun..... A gun with an empty chamber does not qualify as loaded gun. Never bring an unloaded gun to a gunfight....

Howdy Rooster,

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterShooter View Post
    My daily CCW is a S&W M&P 40. This is the first gun I have owned that does not have a manual safety on it. I don't carry with one in the pipe simply because of there not being a physical safety. I have been told you and throw it against a wall and it won't discharge but I still have that fear.
    In your case you need to get a different CCW handgun.

Any of the DAO or DA/SA handguns would be a better choice.

I'll use George Zimmerman as an example: GZ had to draw his weapon, a Kel-Tek PF-9 9mm which is a DAO style handgun, with TM on top of him and would NOT have been able to chamber a round because of TM being on top of him. Even though GZ was almost 50lbs heavier than TM, TM was much stronger, faster and more athletic than GZ and being on top of GZ gave him a tactical advantage over GZ.

With an empty chamber, TM could have easily taken the gun away from GZ.

So, do you want to be trying to chamber a round in your pistol when your flat of your back with a much stronger, faster and more athletic young man is pounding your head into the sidewalk?

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy Rooster,

In your case you need to get a different CCW handgun.

Any of the DAO or DA/SA handguns would be a better choice.
    The OP’s gun is a striker fired gun he wouldn’t be any better off with any other TDA or DAO gun. He needs to learn to carry with a round in the chamber.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    You don't have to explain yourself Telpinaro.
    I only ever do in case there was someone who could use the info reading. You never know!
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

For those who absolutely can’t get their mind past the idea of carrying a modern firearm with a round chambered because of perceived (erroneous in my opinion) safety issues, I recommend one of two things:
    1. Get more training so that you can feel confident that your gun won’t go BANG unless YOU make it go BANG, and (most important) so that you are trained and confident your trigger finger is NEVER on the trigger before you are ready to shoot.
    OR
    2. Carry a revolver over an empty chamber. At least in this circumstance your gun will fire when the trigger is pulled; no additional actions are required to bring your firearm into action. Even with a revolver, it is still vitally important to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    None of us can predict the totality of circumstances of how an attack against your person or loved ones may occur. It has been clearly demonstrated (just look at all the Tueller drill videos out there), that very often you just will not have time to rack a round into the chamber in myriad self-defense scenarios. It is also very possible you will not have the use of your other hand to operate your firearm…you may need to sweep your wife or kids out of harm’s way with it, it may be otherwise pinned or no longer functional. I know some superhero is going to claim he can draw from concealment under heavy winter clothing, rack a round into the chamber, and put five rounds into a four inch bull’s-eye at 20 feet in under a second. Good for you. The vast majority of human beings can’t, and never will. If you carry a semi-automatic firearm without a round in the chamber, you are starting at a significant self-imposed disadvantage. If you carry a revolver over an empty chamber you are unnecessarily limiting your total firepower, but at least it’s in action and ready to fire immediately with just one hand.
    You don’t need to spend thousands on training to get past this. Firearms just don’t go off by themselves. Learn and practice to NEVER put your finger on the trigger until the firearm is clear of the holster, rotated on target, and you have made the decision to shoot.

I have gone back to a revolver because I just could not get past the idea of the striker being cocked and ready to fire. If you think its safe good on yah.

8. My Px4 is DA/SA hammer with a decocker....no problems here.

I have carried both revolvers and pistols. Always fully loaded.

I think its a matter of what you feel comfortable with. If you don't want to carry a weapon cocked and lock.. then don't. Everyone should know their limitations with what they carry and how well they can preform with their weapon.

Proficiency and comfort comes with practice and time.

Better to be comfortable with what you carry, than leave it at home.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123