Lock and Load
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock and Load

Lock and Load

This is something to think about for those that carry with an empty chamber.

"You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

It's good to remember when you have one chambered.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

I always carry with one in the pipe but, after watching this video, I'm going to practice drawing and shooting more purposefully. Thanks for the wake up call.

Stay locked, loaded and ready. You will never get a second chance.....................Some call it paranoia, most that carry call it prepared.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

The Tueller drill pretty much mandates that you can draw your firearm from your holster and put a shot on target in CofM in under 2 seconds. I personally would recommend trying to get that in well under two. From a double retention holder I can get on target in 1.6 s. However, from a Serpa Blackhawk, I can do this more quickly. Once you get good at that, then you will want to learn how to stiff arm with your weak side and still be able to shoot (without shooting your arm) one-handed. Basically a defensive tactic in case the attacker with a knife does have the draw on you.

An excellent practice for this is at home and with an unloaded gun. As you go throughout your day, practice drawing and drawing with speed. Push yourself to draw as quickly as you can without fumbling. This type of practice is at least as important as being able to shoot accurately. Speed keeps you alive, but only when you are on target as well.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

7. My daily CCW is a S&W M&P 40. This is the first gun I have owned that does not have a manual safety on it. I don't carry with one in the pipe simply because of there not being a physical safety. I have been told you and throw it against a wall and it won't discharge but I still have that fear.

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterShooter View Post
    My daily CCW is a S&W M&P 40. This is the first gun I have owned that does not have a manual safety on it. I don't carry with one in the pipe simply because of there not being a physical safety. I have been told you and throw it against a wall and it won't discharge but I still have that fear.
    M&P's are striker fired same as Glock. They won't go off unless you pull the trigger.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Cocked and locked all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterShooter View Post
    My daily CCW is a S&W M&P 40. This is the first gun I have owned that does not have a manual safety on it. I don't carry with one in the pipe simply because of there not being a physical safety. I have been told you and throw it against a wall and it won't discharge but I still have that fear.
    If you did have a manual safety you should be worried about it failing and a round being discharged because instead of keeping your finger off of the trigger people believe that if the manual safety is on the gun will not fire if you pull the trigger. As pointed out before do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire at your target.

11. Quote Originally Posted by RoosterShooter View Post
    An external safety does nothing to keep the gun from actually discharging, the external safety only keeps the trigger from being pulled to the rear. On every gun that I know of the manual safety does one thing only - it keeps the trigger from being pulled all the way to the rear. All of the internal safeties that keep the striker or hammer from discharging the round without the trigger being pulled are engaged whenever the trigger is reset. So, what I am trying to say is that as long as the trigger is not pulled to the rear to discharge the gun, a modern gun with only internal safeties is no more likely to discharge than a gun with an external safety engaged.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast