Tip for Successful IWB - Lose weight!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tip for Successful IWB - Lose weight!

Tip for Successful IWB - Lose weight!

I just wanted to share my brief journey with successfully concealing a subcompact handgun inside the waistband (IWB).

At 5' 8" with a 38" waist, I found that even a Ruger LCP didn't hide well because the excess "energy storage" around my middle was pushing outward on the grip and printing through my T-shirt. Wearing a larger pants size didn't help, because the handgun would still ride with the grip angled away from the body. A looser shirt helped some but just didn't look right. A tight, stiff belt helped keep the handgun more vertical but pressed hard against my energy reserves; that was uncomfortable and unsightly!

I decided to push hard to lose some weight, partly to achieve a better score on my military PT test, partly for my health, and partly to improve handgun concealability.

The result? At 36.5" now, the Ruger hides much better appendix IWB than before! Another inch or two will be perfect for a larger firearm like the Walther PPS (I know, still a small handgun by many standards). It is amazing how much a flatter belly will contribute toward one's ability to conceal.

If you suffer from the "dunlap" syndrome and have trouble concealing comfortably, give this a try--you might be pleased with the result.

Kwc

3. I have the exact OPPOSITE problem! I'm 6ft 2 and 145lbs. So I have to choose my EDC accordingly......... I prefer my full-sized Sig, but it's not very concealable on my small frame. I have a couple of sub-compacts that I like, but nothing seems to fit "just right"...... I'm still looking for that perfect fit for my size. Suggestions?

I disagree with you both. I'm 5'8 and wear a 38 pants too. I also have a larger midsection than I want as well. I carry Iwb all the time. If you have the right holster you can wear anything. I carry a sub compact some days a regular compact someday and even a full size. I use an N82 tactical holster. They make them to fit all size pistols and they all feel comfortable and hide well with an over the pants shirt. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    I just wanted to share my brief journey with successfully concealing a subcompact handgun inside the waistband (IWB).

At 5' 8" with a 38" waist, I found that even a Ruger LCP didn't hide well because the excess "energy storage" around my middle was pushing outward on the grip and printing through my T-shirt. Wearing a larger pants size didn't help, because the handgun would still ride with the grip angled away from the body. A looser shirt helped some but just didn't look right. A tight, stiff belt helped keep the handgun more vertical but pressed hard against my energy reserves; that was uncomfortable and unsightly!

I decided to push hard to lose some weight, partly to achieve a better score on my military PT test, partly for my health, and partly to improve handgun concealability.

The result? At 36.5" now, the Ruger hides much better appendix IWB than before! Another inch or two will be perfect for a larger firearm like the Walther PPS (I know, still a small handgun by many standards). It is amazing how much a flatter belly will contribute toward one's ability to conceal.

If you suffer from the "dunlap" syndrome and have trouble concealing comfortably, give this a try--you might be pleased with the result.

Kwc
    Another added benefit is you will be healthier and have more energy. :) Good for you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Kwc
    I'm small, 5'2" and my weight can vary from 5 to 10 pounds in either direction. I've found it's a whole lot easier to conceal when I'm lighter. And it doesn't much matter where I'm carrying, pocket, IWB, or belly band.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

7. I'll throw my two cents in, I'm 5' 6" 260 lbs, I can conceal a full size Glock 31 with my shirt tucked in or out. I walked around the office one day with my Glock concealed under my tucked in shirt, no one noticed. Just like Roberthenn1 said. Having said that, I am losing weight because I want to lose it.

8. I'm also a heavier fella at 5'5 and about 190lbs, 36" waist but wear 38" pants. I carry a compact 1911 in either an iwb crossbreed type holster or an owb fobus paddle holster and have no problem concealing it under an untucked t shirt at around 3-4 o'clock.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using USA Carry mobile app

I didn't quite expect this wide range of responses. I guess it all goes to show that "your mileage may vary," or more apropos, "one size doesn't fit all." <g>

Everyone has a different body type and I'm convinced having a bulge in my middle, at least, limits my options. I'm sure there are holsters out there that would work well with a larger me, but the several I've tried so far did not and they all conceal better now. If you can benefit from my experience, give it a try. I have a bit more weight to lose (BMI is still above 25) and believe ability to conceal can only improve from here.

Carrying less mass will also give me an edge outrunning an attacker, a preferred course of action when viable. I would suggest that every one of us with extra girth could benefit in this area, too, but there is probably someone out there who weighs 500 pounds and can run a 6-minute mile. :)

...there is probably someone out there who weighs 500 pounds and can run a 6-minute mile. :)
    Unless that person is 500lbs of roided out leg muscle, or Flash's obese twin, I highly doubt that. I'm 5'6" 165lbs and I could barely run an 18 minute 3-mile in my prime. Closer to a 21 minute now. Then again, my old Platoon Sgt. could run a 17:30 3-mile in boots, flak and Kevlar.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    I'm small, 5'2" and my weight can vary from 5 to 10 pounds in either direction. I've found it's a whole lot easier to conceal when I'm lighter. And it doesn't much t matter where I'm carrying, pocket, IWB, or belly band.
    Could that be because your clothes fit looser when you're lighter? I'm down 2+ inches in my waist! but I haven't bought new clothes yet because I'm not finished yet. :-) I've got lots of room for isw. It'll still be awhile yet before I'm ready for appendix carry, though... :-)
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast