Bruised hip bone? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bruised hip bone?

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    Well of course! I figured that was so obvious I didn't need to mention it.
    Hey you never know nowadays ... some women collect shoes :-)
    d( -.- )b

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Hey you never know nowadays ... some women collect shoes :-)
    That is true... Shoes are a weird collection.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I haven't been carrying regularly all that long (I generally don't have anywhere to go), and I just went on my first lengthy outing. I carry at 4-5 o'clock as that's the only place I can conceal, and when I took my holster/belt off, the front of my hip was bruised. It's not enough to stop me from carrying (obviously), but it is annoying. My belt goes right across there, and no, I can't adjust my pants. Women's pants don't work like that. I might not be curvy, but I'd still look ridiculous, and it'd be even harder to conceal. I like my belt, but maybe a wider, webbed belt instead of leather would help?

Anyone had to deal with this before? And how did you fix it?
    You didn't say, but I'm assuming you are using an IWB holster. It would help to know what kind before trying to answer your question, but I'll give it a generic shot.

I've had similar discomfort when first breaking in a new holster. Unfortunately, if you can't move the positioning due to it causing more exposure, then you're going to have to continue carrying in the same position and let your body get used to the pressure points it causes. That is, unless you are willing to try a different style of holster. But all holsters have pressure points to one extent or another. Your body will adapt as best it can on its own as long as you're consistently subjecting it to the pressure.

I had another thought as I was writing the above - You said you don't get out a lot. While you were out this time, was a lot of your time spent driving? I find that the most uncomfortable time for me to carry at 4:00 (or thereabouts) is when I'm driving. Even minimal amounts of time in the driver's seat can cause enough pressure that I still feel it after getting home and taking the gear off. My IWB rig is a Crossbreed Super-Tuck, so I can't just easily remove the weapon and store it in the center console then reholster when I get where I'm going, but if your weapon isn't tucked and you're just wearing a cover garment, that might be a solution for you while driving.

Best generic answer I have! ;-)~

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    That's why I like and recommended to you the 5.11 Tactical belt. They are designed for handgun carry (IWB and OWB) and the buckle (can you call the plastic retention in the front a buckle?) keeps the belt from loosening. If you need to tighten a little or loosen a little you can do this, unlike a leather belt where you have preset holes.

5.11 Tactical TDU Belt 1.75" Plastic Buckle | Official 5.11 Site

They also have them in 1.5" too.
    Back when I was working on an armored truck, I always bought 5.11 tac-pants to comply with the uniform requirements, and for a couple of years, LA Police Gear would give you one of those belts for every pair of 5.11 pants you bought. I've got six of 'em. They're all in either my get-home bag, my camping pack or one is holding up a rack in my closet that pulled itself out of the drywall anchors. LOL They were just never comfortable for me, and I found them impossible to get the right tightness.

Not knocking your recommendation, just giving my experience with them. I know a lot of people who swear by them, but they just never worked for me.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    You didn't say, but I'm assuming you are using an IWB holster. It would help to know what kind before trying to answer your question, but I'll give it a generic shot.

I've had similar discomfort when first breaking in a new holster. Unfortunately, if you can't move the positioning due to it causing more exposure, then you're going to have to continue carrying in the same position and let your body get used to the pressure points it causes. That is, unless you are willing to try a different style of holster. But all holsters have pressure points to one extent or another. Your body will adapt as best it can on its own as long as you're consistently subjecting it to the pressure.

I had another thought as I was writing the above - You said you don't get out a lot. While you were out this time, was a lot of your time spent driving? I find that the most uncomfortable time for me to carry at 4:00 (or thereabouts) is when I'm driving. Even minimal amounts of time in the driver's seat can cause enough pressure that I still feel it after getting home and taking the gear off. My IWB rig is a Crossbreed Super-Tuck, so I can't just easily remove the weapon and store it in the center console then reholster when I get where I'm going, but if your weapon isn't tucked and you're just wearing a cover garment, that might be a solution for you while driving.

Best generic answer I have! ;-)~

Blues
    It's an Alien Gear holster, so a lot like the Crossbreed. I haven't found any holster I can wear anywhere else... just doesn't conceal at all, though I'd love to try appendix. Unfortunately I don't think I'm built for it, unless I get a really tiny gun (which I probably won't). I can't spend a lot of money looking for alternatives as I have to stock up on hay for the winter, so I think I'll try one of the belts mentioned here as neither are exactly expensive. I did try using my old, non-holster belt which is a bit wider and a lot more flexible, and that was quite a bit more comfortable... It's just not up to supporting a gun all day.

And I was driving a bit, but I have a handy travel pillow that evens things out and cushions my back so driving isn't too uncomfortable. I want to get a tempur-pedic back pillow, because if it's anything like my bed, I bet you'd be hard-pressed to tell you're carrying while driving! Depends on how thick it is.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Blues,

If you still have all those belts, please send them my way; I love 'em. I'll give you the address too!

Wolf
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Its the belt. If you are not currently using a sturdy gun belt then you are most likely having to overtighten to get the retention needed to hold your gun securely. A sturdy gun belt allows you to wear it looser and still maintain the retention needed.

Quote Originally Posted by escapedthematrix View Post
    Its the belt. If you are not currently using a sturdy gun belt then you are most likely having to overtighten to get the retention needed to hold your gun securely. A sturdy gun belt allows you to wear it looser and still maintain the retention needed.
    It hurt WITH the sturdy belt, and was more comfortable with the flimsy one!
    Modern Whig

It hurt WITH the sturdy belt, and was more comfortable with the flimsy one!
    Oh..... I had the exact opposite experience. Once I got a good belt my discomfort was over. Someone mentioned the Remora and I have to agree that it is very comfortable and I use one due to having to remove it multiple times a day for work. When I do not have to remove my gun I wear a hybrid holster so I can compare comfort easily. The winner is the Remora but I do not like the fact that it collapses when the weapon is drawn and is not held in place by some sort of clip system. Though it does stay in place all day even when doing some gardening. Anyways, for 25 bucks its worth trying and worse case eventually adding it to the bin of discarded holsters.

Wow - I just realized something with my Wilderness belt...

Since I switched to appendix carry, my holster no longer rides on the rigid part of the belt - it has been riding on the tail :-/

I haven't had any noticeable issues carrying like this but it is certainly time to rotate my belt to where the holster is more supported and see how it goes ;-)

I've been eyeing a Jones Tactical belt with the nifty Cobra buckle, too, so it might be time to finally get one.
    d( -.- )b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12