What would you do? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

The ******* that first got hit, pulled in front of the SUV, and then turned to look back as he stopped short. This was a setup, and had it been with me and my One Ton Dually Dodge and my 30 foot travel trailer, it would have been much worse. Also I would have had My Wife riding shotgun (Literally) as we both travel fully armed and ready for this kind of crap.
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

Quote Originally Posted by vt_shooter View Post
    I just watched the video again about 8 times, and the first biker who was hit by the SUV clearly did *not* cut in front of the SUV - it was already in front of the SUV but it slowed down, probably because the rider was looking at the bike that had the helmet cam, and the SUV hit him. We don't know what happened in the seconds following the first biker hit by the SUV - we don't know why the SUV ran at that point. He probably felt threatened because there were bikes all around him, which may or may not be supported by how the bikers were behaving. There's no way for us to know - we can only guess. And it all spiraled out of control after that, when the SUV went on to hit two more bikers. Errors on both sides, but there's simply no rational way to deny the SUV started it all by hitting 1 biker followed by 2 more. The bikers hadn't actually done anything except perhaps slow the SUV down before the SUV had hit 3 of them. We're not allowed to start running people over simply because you feel threatened - there must be an articulable threat that's better than "I'm scared of bikers so I ran them over". I'm surprised it's difficult for some to see that.
    The youtube vid posted to the thread was the 2:47 minute version there is also an 8:40 minute full version that shows the idiot biker cutting off the Rover. Do a little work and look for the truth before you get defensive about a situation that you a Monday quarterbacking. The full version also shows how the bikers hounded the Rover driver, tried to get him out of his vehicle and finally chasing him down and breaking into his vehicle to get him out. When all they needed to do was report the hit skip to state police. You do know how to call 911, right.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

5. Well, I just finished eating a huge helping of crow. I based my earlier comments on the short video alone, and I've since googled and learned more about what happened. The SUV driver caller 911 even before he had any contact with them. The police had received over 200 complaints about the bikers The bikers were tormenting people and drivers everywhere. Now that I know a bit more, I'm sorry they all didn't get run over. I am feeling quite humbled. Sorry folks. I was wrong.

Well, I just finished eating a huge helping of crow. I based my earlier comments on the short video alone, and I've since googled and learned more about what happened. The SUV driver caller 911 even before he had any contact with them. The police had received over 200 complaints about the bikers The bikers were tormenting people and drivers everywhere. Now that I know a bit more, I'm sorry they all didn't get run over. I am feeling quite humbled. Sorry folks.
    I like an honest man.

7. Quote Originally Posted by vt_shooter View Post
    Well, I just finished eating a huge helping of crow. I based my earlier comments on the short video alone, and I've since googled and learned more about what happened. The SUV driver caller 911 even before he had any contact with them. The police had received over 200 complaints about the bikers The bikers were tormenting people and drivers everywhere. Now that I know a bit more, I'm sorry they all didn't get run over. I am feeling quite humbled. Sorry folks. I was wrong.
    You're welcome!

I rode for 42 years, last 25, sport bikes. Never rode sport bikes in packs of more than 2, maybe 3 max, and I knew who I rode with. Things get out of hand in large packs of hoodlums such as those. They are a public menace in metro areas, and anywhere there are popular curvy roads, like the dragon's tail.

I don't ride any more, due to balance issues. Besides, I'm 58, and sport bikes hurt. It's a young man's game. Here's me 2 years ago, with my last bike:

What would you do?-r1inthewoods.jpg
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

8. Quote Originally Posted by vt_shooter View Post
    I just watched the video again about 8 times, and the first biker who was hit by the SUV clearly did *not* cut in front of the SUV - it was already in front of the SUV but it slowed down, probably because the rider was looking at the bike that had the helmet cam, and the SUV hit him. We don't know what happened in the seconds following the first biker hit by the SUV - we don't know why the SUV ran at that point. He probably felt threatened because there were bikes all around him, which may or may not be supported by how the bikers were behaving. There's no way for us to know - we can only guess. And it all spiraled out of control after that, when the SUV went on to hit two more bikers. Errors on both sides, but there's simply no rational way to deny the SUV started it all by hitting 1 biker followed by 2 more. The bikers hadn't actually done anything except perhaps slow the SUV down before the SUV had hit 3 of them. We're not allowed to start running people over simply because you feel threatened - there must be an articulable threat that's better than "I'm scared of bikers so I ran them over". I'm surprised it's difficult for some to see that.
    Maybe not in NY, but in LA I'm absolutely allowed to run over someone who I feel is threatened my or my families' life.

What the news media aired was well into the video the bikers themselves posted online... They were looking for trouble and they found the SUV.
    My take is.... the driver, faced with a GANG Mentality, saw potential for harm to himself and his loved ones. As it escalated, the gang became more emboldened and was attempting to stop and surround the SUV. In NY city, unless you are well connected, no right to defend yourself with a gun. Also, since he saw that the situation was deteriorating, he would certainly be concerned that they would inflict bodily harm to he and his family...and at some point probably feared for their lives. AT this point, once fear for your life sets in, you have the duty under NY state law to 'retreat'. The only way he could "retreat" was to get himself out of the middle of the pack, which he did. If he took the time to ask them to move so he didn't hit them, what would have been the result? So, once the "fear for life" threshold has been reached, and "retreat" is not possible, then "deadly force" is in play!
    If it were me, and I was pinned in traffic with nowhere to go ahead...I would have been in reverse, forward reverse forward reverse....until I was out of danger, even if it meant driving the wrong way to get away from the gang.....and, oh, by the way...at that point, I'm not really that concerned with how many of the thugs ended up under my wheels. After all, I'm in self-defense mode!

As a 'biker' myself, I can honestly say that I or any of the 'bikers' I know are not that threatening to the average driver....you're making the assumption that they were just out for a 'nice, peaceful ride', when the SUV driver provoked them. I personally believe it was the other way around.

10. jrs & titaniumsalute04 , please see my eating crow post a few posts back.

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Thumbs up

Well, I just finished eating a huge helping of crow. I based my earlier comments on the short video alone, and I've since googled and learned more about what happened. The SUV driver caller 911 even before he had any contact with them. The police had received over 200 complaints about the bikers The bikers were tormenting people and drivers everywhere. Now that I know a bit more, I'm sorry they all didn't get run over. I am feeling quite humbled. Sorry folks. I was wrong.
    Ground control to vt_shooter....
    We are reading you loud and clear!

Welcome back home!
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast