Glocks and Reloads - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Glocks and Reloads

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,



    OMG!!!!!!!

    I wish you would have told me about this before I fired 30,000 reloads with of all things LEAD bullets through the OEM barrels in my Glock 23 .40S&W and my Glock 35 .40S&W.

    The lead bullets and reloads in Glock is BS put out by the 1911 crowd from back in the late '80s and early '90s and for some unknown reason it's still around.

    My Glock 23 has a fairly tight chamber for a Glock anyway and does NOT put a bulge in the brass even with super hot reloads. On the other hand my Glock 35 has a loose chamber, even for a Glock and does cause the brass to bulge a little in the feed ramp area so I switched to a Lone Wolf barrel, which is polished stainless steel and looks bada$$ with the open top slide.

    I own 4 Glocks, a +20 year old G20 10mm, a G23 .40S&W, a G35 .40S&W and a G21SF .45acp and all have decent chambers except for the G35. I've looked at several G35 and other .40cal Glock's and all have had decent chambers and none of the where loose enough to cause a significant bulge in the brass, except for my G35.

    Paul
    Got it..... don't take advice from you.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Old North State
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    The unsupported case and bulge, is a problem only with the .40 S&W round in Glock. This is a non issue in the other calibers.
    Sorry but that isn't correct - 10mm is also affected, and I would suspect .357sig is as well but I have no first hand experience with it.

    High pressure plus a lack of good support leads to the Glock smile.
    d( -.- )b

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Old North State
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    I own 4 Glocks, a +20 year old G20 10mm, a G23 .40S&W, a G35 .40S&W and a G21SF .45acp and all have decent chambers except for the G35. I've looked at several G35 and other .40cal Glock's and all have had decent chambers and none of the where loose enough to cause a significant bulge in the brass, except for my G35.
    So I take it you are not a reloader then...

    The veracity of your statements hang on how you are defining "decent" and "significant"... A good reloader would judge more critically, I'd say.

    The loose chamber support with Glocks leads to more reliability in the field where one would not be recovering brass anyway. If you intend to reload and/or shoot lead then an aftermarket barrel is the only way to go.

    Shooting lead, BTW, leads to leading in the barrel which is where the grooves fill up with lead and require more intensive cleaning... the buildup can also cause a squib load.
    d( -.- )b

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Sorry but that isn't correct - 10mm is also affected, and I would suspect .357sig is as well but I have no first hand experience with it.

    High pressure plus a lack of good support leads to the Glock smile.
    My understanding is that the 40 is more susceptible because when they shortened the case from 10mm they had to change the case web to be able to seat the bullet to the correct depth. The thinner web makes the unsupported chamber all the more likely to blow out.
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

  6. Yes I am sure that all manufacturers say not to use reloads to cover themselves from people who don't know what they are doing and people who reload a little hotter than recommended but, the Glock seems to be singled out because of the unsupported barrel or whatever it is. I was first alerted by a guy who teaches a reloading coarse and since then have done some research and found nothing on anything but the Glock. That's really disappointing to me because I really like the Glock and was ready to buy another because I found a great deal on a 27 gen 4 out the door $550 with 3 mags included but, if I can't reload I am now torn on what to do.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,837

    Glocks and Reloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    My understanding is that the 40 is more susceptible because when they shortened the case from 10mm they had to change the case web to be able to seat the bullet to the correct depth. The thinner web makes the unsupported chamber all the more likely to blow out.
    This


    Sent from behind enemy lines.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hog Jaw, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,275
    Howdy s0nspark,

    Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    So I take it you are not a reloader then...

    The veracity of your statements hang on how you are defining "decent" and "significant"... A good reloader would judge more critically, I'd say.

    The loose chamber support with Glocks leads to more reliability in the field where one would not be recovering brass anyway. If you intend to reload and/or shoot lead then an aftermarket barrel is the only way to go.

    Shooting lead, BTW, leads to leading in the barrel which is where the grooves fill up with lead and require more intensive cleaning... the buildup can also cause a squib load.
    Yes, I'm a reloaded. I've been reloading for over 30 years. I normally reload 10-12,000 rounds of pistol ammo a year plus about 1,000 rounds of .223. Lately I've been building a Factory Five Racing Spyder and it has taken up most of my spare time and spending money. Here's a link to a build thread:

    Stengun's Spyder Build - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

    I kept my description of the Glock's chamber simple because most people have limited knowledge of firearm chambers.

    Your statement shows your lack of knowledge of Glocks and and handguns in general.

    FYI Glocks have a looser chamber than most other handguns. This is part of the reason they are so reliable.

    A "decent" chamber in a Glock would be considered too loose or out of spec for most other handguns but just fine in a Glock.

    Heck, even a tight chamber in a Glock would be considered too loose for a quality 1911 type handgun.

    I started reloading for .357 Mag revolvers, Bar-Sto barreled 1911 and I was shocked at how loose the chamber was on the first Glocks I reloaded ammo for which were my G20 10mm and a G21 .45.

    Like I posted earlier most of the negative "stuff" going around about Glocks has come from the 1911 crowd.

    The Glock's polygonal grooving in their barrel doesn't cause any more leading than it does in other types of grooving. More BS from the 1911 crowd from back in the '80s that simpletons have fallen for and +20 years later are still spreading it on the 'Net.

    Based on your statement I seriously doubt you own a Glock and have never reloaded for one and have stated "stuff" on the 'Net without any knowledge of what your talking about.

    Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    lead, BTW, leads to leading in the barrel which is where the grooves fill up with lead and require more intensive cleaning... the buildup can also cause a squib load.
    Could you quantify that statement please? That's new to me.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    Yes I am sure that all manufacturers say not to use reloads to cover themselves from people who don't know what they are doing and people who reload a little hotter than recommended but, the Glock seems to be singled out because of the unsupported barrel or whatever it is. I was first alerted by a guy who teaches a reloading coarse and since then have done some research and found nothing on anything but the Glock. That's really disappointing to me because I really like the Glock and was ready to buy another because I found a great deal on a 27 gen 4 out the door $550 with 3 mags included but, if I can't reload I am now torn on what to do.
    I reload for my G27 and G22. Have put thousands through them both with no problems using stock barrels. I only use FMJ's or plated bullets reloaded to factory specs. Many of my shooting buddies have done the same without any problems. As long as you don't get carried away trying to make your reloads hotter than normal you should be fine. This goes for any brand of firearm.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Old North State
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Based on your statement I seriously doubt you own a Glock and have never reloaded for one and have stated "stuff" on the 'Net without any knowledge of what your talking about.
    Well, you are entitled to your opinions of me and my posts... but you are wrong in your assumptions. ;-)


    When I shoot 10mm through the stock barrel the brass comes out more often than not with _slight_ bulges where the round seats at the bottom of the chamber. Is this brass safe to reload? I wouldn't trust my safety on it. The other 10mm reloaders I talk to (guys with a lot more experience than me) seem to feel the same...


    Yes, many people shoot lead ammo through the stock Glock barrel without catastrophic results. Does that make it safe or advisable? Remember there are a _lot_ of variables at work... quality of the lead bullets, care taken with reloading, maintenance regimen of the gun, etc. An aftermarket barrel is a small price to pay for peace of mind and better brass life.


    I choose to play it safe. That is all... Just because "rules" can be broken without consequence some or maybe even most of the time doesn't mean they are safe to ignore.


    Nice work on the build, by the way.
    Last edited by s0nspark; 10-06-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: clarity
    d( -.- )b

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast