Glocks and Reloads
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Glocks and Reloads

  1. Glocks and Reloads

    Is it true they don't recommend reloads for Glocks? If so why and what makes other pistols safer with reloads? Thanks

  2.   
  3. #2
    I believe its only reloads using lead cast bullets. These may not be safe with the polygonal barrel due to lead build up in the barrel. Many Glock shooters buy an aftermarket conventional barrel if they want to shoot these non jacketed reloads. Maybe someone else knows more reasons to not use reloads at all, like bulges in the brass for instance.

  4. #3
    I have s Glock23. In 40S&W. I found out after I got it that the barrels are not fully supported barrels. And as a result the shell casing get what is called the Glock bulge. And with the OM barrel you cannot use reloaded ammo. Now if you can get the bulge out I'm told that you can shoot reloaded ammo. But they still do not recommend using leaded ammo in a OM barrel.

  5. Reloads aren't recommended by any gun manufacturer.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by croute View Post
    Reloads aren't recommended by any gun manufacturer.
    .
    As I write this I haven't gone back and checked all the manufacturer's manuals that came with the firearms I have purchased, but I'm certain that NONE recommended using reloads, and I distinctly recall at least one that indicated the warranty would be void if reloads had been used. I do reload, but have not done so for my Glock 23.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    .
    As I write this I haven't gone back and checked all the manufacturer's manuals that came with the firearms I have purchased, but I'm certain that NONE recommended using reloads, and I distinctly recall at least one that indicated the warranty would be void if reloads had been used. I do reload, but have not done so for my Glock 23.
    Confirmed with me... Chiappa voids the warranty if you use reloads. Smith & Wesson doesn't actually say it voids the warranty, but there's some pretty exciting warnings in the manual in very bright red.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

  8. #7

    Glocks and Reloads

    90% of firearm manufacturers will not honor the warranty if they find out you were using reloads. Even if they were perfect reloads and something completely unrelated breaks, it's an easy out for the manufacturers. I just recently started reloading for my 23 and it has me a little stumped. I was loaded 165 gr flat nose using 6grs of power pistol (1.8 under manufacturer recommend max). The brass was getting kicked out hard, and everyone has these weird scrape marks by the mouth of the case that all look identical, but none of the brass has standard overpressure signs. My next step will be switching powder and seeing if that helps.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,837

    Glocks and Reloads

    Quote Originally Posted by Reloader54 View Post
    I have s Glock23. In 40S&W. I found out after I got it that the barrels are not fully supported barrels. And as a result the shell casing get what is called the Glock bulge. And with the OM barrel you cannot use reloaded ammo. Now if you can get the bulge out I'm told that you can shoot reloaded ammo. But they still do not recommend using leaded ammo in a OM barrel.
    The unsupported case and bulge, is a problem only with the .40 S&W round in Glock. This is a non issue in the other calibers.


    Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hog Jaw, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,275
    Howdy,

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    The unsupported case and bulge, is a problem only with the .40 S&W round in Glock. This is a non issue in the other calibers.


    Sent from behind Enemy Lines.
    OMG!!!!!!!

    I wish you would have told me about this before I fired 30,000 reloads with of all things LEAD bullets through the OEM barrels in my Glock 23 .40S&W and my Glock 35 .40S&W.

    The lead bullets and reloads in Glock is BS put out by the 1911 crowd from back in the late '80s and early '90s and for some unknown reason it's still around.

    My Glock 23 has a fairly tight chamber for a Glock anyway and does NOT put a bulge in the brass even with super hot reloads. On the other hand my Glock 35 has a loose chamber, even for a Glock and does cause the brass to bulge a little in the feed ramp area so I switched to a Lone Wolf barrel, which is polished stainless steel and looks bada$$ with the open top slide.

    I own 4 Glocks, a +20 year old G20 10mm, a G23 .40S&W, a G35 .40S&W and a G21SF .45acp and all have decent chambers except for the G35. I've looked at several G35 and other .40cal Glock's and all have had decent chambers and none of the where loose enough to cause a significant bulge in the brass, except for my G35.

    Paul

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    I've run 1000's of reloads through my gen 3 G23 and my gen 4 G22. I've never had a problem, never seen the casings bulged nor my barrel bulged.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast