Re: Oklahoma vs. Virginia CCW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Oklahoma vs. Virginia CCW

1. Exclamation Re: Oklahoma vs. Virginia CCW

I'll try for this to make sense:

I reside in Oklahoma and I have an Oklahoma drivers license. I am obtaining my non-resident CCW in Virginia instead of Oklahoma. Why you ask?

I had a misdemeanor drug charge 16 years ago - any drug charge, no matter how long ago, is an automatic preclusion to getting a CCW in Oklahoma. Virginia, on the other hand, only requires reporting of drug offenses within the last 5 years of the application date.

Therefore, I am not applying nor do I intend to apply for an Oklahoma CCW.

Question: Is it going to be a problem (legal or otherwise) carrying a Virginia CCW but residing in Oklahoma with an Oklahoma Drivers license? I understand that Oklahoma honors Virginia through reciprocity. I cannot find any Carry/Conceal laws in Oklahoma showing that I must have an Oklahoma CCW before using a different states CCW.

Your comments are welcome and Thanks in Advance!

I am not positive on whether an OK resident must obtain an OK permit to carry.

However, one problem you will have is that you will now have to abide by the Federal law of 1000' from a school. The only preclusion to that is if you have a permit from your home state.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

4. Nope - not a requirement to be licensed in Oklahoma first. My other choice was to get it expunged from my record at the cost of about $2000 for an attorney (vs. $100 for Virginia permit fee)

When I moved here to OK I carried on my Utah and Arizona permit because I had to get a OK DL to get my handgun permit. You need to see a lawyer about that drug charge and see if you can get some kind of deal to get it set aside or pardoned since you have been clean for 16 years.Some states make you get your resident states permit before you can get theirs. Make sure Virgina doesn't.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by krypton1978 View Post
    Nope - not a requirement to be licensed in Oklahoma first. My other choice was to get it expunged from my record at the cost of about $2000 for an attorney (vs. $100 for Virginia permit fee)
    Spend the 2 grand it may save you later on down the road in case laws change or something.
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

7. Thanks for the help everybody. I've looked at Virginias non-resident CCW site with a fine toothed comb and scoured the internet - nothing that I can find that says I must have an Oklahoma permit. Their checklist has the normal stuff: the application, photo of drivers license, fingerprints, safety training certificate, etc. What's strange though - the drug charge doesn't even show on my OSBI report in Oklahoma but it does on ODCR so I'm pretty sure my permit would be denied. I found a form that the sheriff has to fill out on OSBI's website and there are boxes for them to check to look over OSCN and ODCR records that they turn in to OSBI with my application.

I will see if I an strike up a conversation with a few Oklahoma LEO's and give them a scenario - I get pulled over. Oklahoma drivers license. Virginia carry permit. What happens next?

Quote Originally Posted by krypton1978 View Post
    Thanks for the help everybody. I've looked at Virginias non-resident CCW site with a fine toothed comb and scoured the internet - nothing that I can find that says I must have an Oklahoma permit. Their checklist has the normal stuff: the application, photo of drivers license, fingerprints, safety training certificate, etc. What's strange though - the drug charge doesn't even show on my OSBI report in Oklahoma but it does on ODCR so I'm pretty sure my permit would be denied. I found a form that the sheriff has to fill out on OSBI's website and there are boxes for them to check to look over OSCN and ODCR records that they turn in to OSBI with my application.

I will see if I an strike up a conversation with a few Oklahoma LEO's and give them a scenario - I get pulled over. Oklahoma drivers license. Virginia carry permit. What happens next?
    I doubt they would know. Let me do some looking around if I find something I will post it. I am an Instructor here in OK. I may call and ask. You really should look into getting it cleared up.
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

Since OK is not a must inform state, I would keep my mouth shut about your permit and firearm if you do happen to get stopped by a LEO, especially if you happen to be illegally carrying in a school zone at the time.

BTW... I do agree that some Oklahoma requirements are silly.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

10. Thanks 3 gun shooter - I really appreciate the help and any additional info you can provide. I have a Sig P226 Equinox that is begging to be carried. @NavyLCDR - if I was carrying and got pulled over (with Virginia permit) the FIRST thing I would do is notify the LEO. Not looking into going to jail over this thing on the small chance that he sees the weapon - or on the off chance he makes me step out of the vehicle. Oklahoma is an inform state. You must notify the LEO that you are carrying. I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill - I could tell the LEO " I have a Virginia CCW when I was in Virginia with some buddies and haven't gotten around to getting my OK permit yet even though I reside in this state." Oklahoma has reciprocity with Virginia so I'm thinking I should be good - it would just be nice to DEFINETLY know if it's going to be a problem. I'll take the good advice here and safe up the money to get my record expunged but it's not going to be anytime soon. Thanks again for the speedy comments on here!

11. My mistake, you are correct. Oklahoma is a must inform state. Thank you for the correction.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast