Decent short article about .380 - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Decent short article about .380

Let me preface this by saying I read the article, a gun, any gun, beats not having one when you need it. Practice, Practice, Practice with whatever you chose to carry and however you chose to carry it. Your life may depend on it. Peace, Love, Colt 45

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I thought so as well. I am pretty similar to the author, in that my LCP is ALWAYS with me, while my larger caliber guns may not be. and with a spare mag
    I recently acquired an LCP with a CTC Laserguard... due to clothing constraints I am not always able to carry my primary carry gun and thought this would be a suitable way to address the problem.

I have resisted the small guns up to now because I have larger hands and felt I would not be able to control such a tiny pistol but, to my surprise, with the Hogue Handall it is no problem at all.

What surprised me even more, though, is how quickly the LCP can be deployed from an appendix holster. I carry my primary in that position so it was naturally the first thing to try with the LCP and it absolutely rocks!

Anyway, the LCP will be used mostly as a backup gun but I am really liking it, small caliber notwithstanding.
    Last edited by s0nspark; 10-15-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: clarity
    d( -.- )b

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Hi, first time poster here.
    Welcome to the forums and we hope to see more of you around. Quite a good and informative first post. Ahhhh, I wish everyone could learn from your example.

One suggestion... in your profile, I would add what state you reside in. This helps if you ever have technical legal questions for people to reply appropriately with the correct state law. Again, welcome.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    I also plan to not be where there are any large people on PCP if at all possible!
    That sounds like a good plan :-)
    d( -.- )b

6. Good article! I carry an ultra-lite .38 special in summer, my .45 XD-S in summer/winter, but haven't had a need for the .380. I have no phallic failure to guide my choices for carry, but I do prefer large holes to smaller ones. I would be more accurate with follow-up shots with the .380 in a midsize frame, but I carry what I'm comfortable with, and personally, .45 is my favorite. YMMV. Batteries not included.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Hi, first time poster here.

I do carry a Taurus TCP 738 when jogging and on hot/humid days. Its light weight makes it a good gun for jogging. It doesn't bounce (with the right IWB holster at 4 o'clock). Its slim profile makes it also a good gun for wearing a light shirt on hot and humid days. No printing whatsoever. Again, IWB holster at 4 o'clock.

My other carry option right now is a Glock 19. However, I am looking for something in-between both guns. The Taurus TCP 738 is comfortable, but I prefer 9 mm over .380 Auto. I also prefer having more capacity than 6+1. I am mostly looking for something slightly lighter that the Glock 19 with a shorter grip (to be able to carry 4 o'clock while driving). Glock 26 perhaps.

Anyway, it took me a while to get some reliability out of the Taurus TCP 738. Initially, the gun would not cycle well (FTFs) and cases would eject over my head. After some surface polishing and edge stoning, this gone runs now smooth. I did add a Crimson Trace CTC Laserguard and a Pearce Grip Extension. The pinky extension really helps to get a good grip when drawing and helps to avoid limp wristing.

For those interested in the reliability improvements, there are a few instructions at Taurus Firearms Forum - TaurusArmed.net / Taurus Guns. It includes polishing the feed ramp, the cocking rail, the hammer, the breech face, and the outside of the barrel. It also includes stoning some of the edges on the slide, the extractor, and the loaded chamber indicator. A lot of work, but hey, I got this gun for $200 at Gander Mountain.

My .380 Auto ammo:
    - Hornady Critical Defense 90
    - Speer Gold Dot 90
    The guns I purchase are finished at the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by topgun47 View Post
    Which pocket .380 Auto would that be? There are always tradeoffs. The Taurus TCP 738 has an awesome DAO trigger and the slide locks back after the last round. However, it is also notorious for having machine marks on the feed ramp and other parts, which lead to feeding problems. When I said a lot of work, I meant spending a few hours in front of the TV for detail stripping the gun, sanding off any machine marks (400 grit sand paper), using a Dremel (polishing wheel and polishing compound) to polish the surfaces I mentioned, thoroughly cleaning all parts, oiling very few parts, and putting the gun back together.

I agree that many guns come reliable from the factory, but they also can be improved. I did the trigger polishing job on my Glock 19, which is a significant difference.

One thing I do want to mention as well are the sights. On the Taurus TCP 738, the factory sights are pretty useless. However, the Nite Siters reflective dots do wonders. There are a few examples on improving the sights here at Painted sights on 738 .

Quote Originally Posted by topgun47 View Post
    Yes, but are they finished at the factory for only $200?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345