Travelling

Thread: Travelling

Travelling

We are driving from Kentucky to Georgia Via Tennessee and I am trying to decypher the carry laws along the way. I know both of them accept my Concealed carry permit but I am getting a headache trying to figure out if there is any differences in the laws that I need to worry about. Tennessee will just be a drive through, maybe a stop for a meal. So I think I am ok there but I don't see any regulations about if I need to worry about how to carry in my vehicle. Georgia seems to be pretty much the same as Kentucky but again I don't see if there is any differences in how i carry in my vehicle. Since I am going to the Georgia Academy for the Blind I know being a school I can not take the weapon into the place so I will have to leave it in the car. I assume a trigger lock will be ok for that?

LOL so basic question: help?? any information that anyone from those states can give me.

THe laws betweens states can be very confusing. This site is the one I refer to for my answers. Index of /states All the information is pretty much in common language but it has links to actual state web sites for additional and sometimes more precise information.

Good rule of thumb is, if your state has reciprocity with the state you are going to or through, and you adhere to your states laws on concealment, you should be good to go. The tripping point comes in with issues like carrying in restaurants that serve alcohol and wether or not open carry is legal in the visiting state compared to your own.

I'm going through the same thing this weekend in preparation for an up coming road trip from Florida to Pennsylvania with stop overs in South Carolina and Maryland. Maryland is a loss as far as any reciprocity so I have to disarm prior to entering the state and strictly adhere to the transportation laws for Maryland. PA and SC are good reciprocity states, so there is no worries there, but there are differences in the restaurant and "no guns" sign laws.

Be prepared but enjoy the trip.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

thanks I will check out that site. it definitely is confusing lol.

Sadly, the only state I'll be visiting in the near future is California... but good to know in case I ever get to go somewhere else! Thanks.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Quote Originally Posted by nytetears View Post
    We are driving from Kentucky to Georgia Via Tennessee and I am trying to decypher the carry laws along the way. I know both of them accept my Concealed carry permit but I am getting a headache trying to figure out if there is any differences in the laws that I need to worry about. Tennessee will just be a drive through, maybe a stop for a meal. So I think I am ok there but I don't see any regulations about if I need to worry about how to carry in my vehicle. Georgia seems to be pretty much the same as Kentucky but again I don't see if there is any differences in how i carry in my vehicle. Since I am going to the Georgia Academy for the Blind I know being a school I can not take the weapon into the place so I will have to leave it in the car. I assume a trigger lock will be ok for that?

LOL so basic question: help?? any information that anyone from those states can give me.
    TN - you may carry in restaurants that serve alcohol within the dining area, you may open carry, you do not have a duty to inform but must show your permit if asked.
    GA - you may carry in restaurants that serve alcohol within the dining area, may not carry in bars unless you have the permission of the owner, no duty to inform but must show your permit if asked.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

7. Have a safe trip and SA in your best friend.

thank you very much that is exactly what i needed.