Concealed vs Open carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed vs Open carry

1. Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    but the ccw guy can prevent that punk from going on to attack others in other places, perhaps permanently, and also send a message to other punks like him. You left out that part.
    NIP IT IN THE BUD!

Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by chilipeppernorm View Post
    Ok, I did a search but didn't find this exact topic. If it already exists my apology to all. I have a non-resident CCW for Nevada, Utah, and Florida, and hopefully will acquire a resident permit for CA (not holding my breath). I do have a question, but before I pose it I want to make sure all know that I'm not questioning the right or preference of anyone who chooses open carry. I can see any number of circumstances where open carry convenience may prevail. However, from my perspective I believe that open carry in many public situations, areas, or venues one could be forfeiting a valuable tactical advantage. Simply put, I don't want the general public to know I'm armed, just want to appear as "joe lunchbox" and be mostly ignored unless I have to present my weapon in defense of myself or others, which should be a complete surprise to all and give me that slight edge.

I'm looking for rationales I may have overlooked, but please know that there is no need for anyone to "defend" their choice as I'm not challenging nor criticizing that choice. Thanks in advance.
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-...-argument.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-...pen-carry.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-...-strategy.html

www.opencarry.org

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I personally prefer CC. I am not against OC.

Both modes of carry have their advantages and disadvantages. It's up to each person to decide evaluate those advantages and disadvantages and decide which mode of carry is best for themselves. Personally, I only carry concealed, but if I lived in a part of the state that wasn't so rabidly anti gun, I'd probably OC more often. I often hear about the "tactical" advantage of CC, but the way I see it, If the BG can't tell that you're carrying, then your concealed gun won't help you until after the BG has already begun accosting you.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I'm all in favor of open carry, it's just not for me. If there were a lot of people around me who open carried, I might then, occasionally, but I've never seen even one.
    In a room of 20 people, one person who open carries MIGHT be a deterrent for a bad guy. In a room of 20 people where half of them are open carrying, that would definitely be a deterrent!
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

If you are robbed at gun point while CC'ing.... You have no "element of surprise".
    What you do have is called "behind the curve" REACTION.
    Either way, carry as you can and practice often.

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    but the ccw guy can prevent that punk from going on to attack others in other places, perhaps permanently, and also send a message to other punks like him. You left out that part.
    This "gem of an answer" comes from a firearms instructor?!?!
    Time to seek another hobby my friend...... Just pointing out the obvious..

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

9. A casual search hasn't produced any reliable or definable data on the superior effect of either OC or CC in the prevention of assault on citizens licensed to carry that I can find. However, years of reading the Armed Citizen in the American Rifleman magazine of the NRA does demonstrate that anyone who has ready and immediate access to a weapon in whatever stored form and is prepared and fully willing to use it in their defense or the defense of others is highly effective in halting or deterring criminals. It would be a mistake to assume all criminals are cowards, however many are highly experienced at violence and generally operate as ambush predators. They often don't operate alone but in concert with others. In these circumstances I believe OC vs CC takes a backseat to situational awareness and strategic planning and execution. Regardless of how we carry, training and practice will be our best defense when the unthinkable happens. As one of my favorite firearms instructors always points out, "action ALWAYS beats reaction". Be safe all.

You should have been there when Hack had people shooting right past each other, for "experience" at such things. :-) Even Ayoob says that if you hit them with a bullet at all, it's best to kill them, altho he words it more tactfully. action does not ALWAYS beat reaction, either. SOME people's reaction is a LOT faster than other people's action. :-) their nervous system is trained and so are their hands/arms, so they are far more efficient at the job. I can let you draw first, from ccw, and beat you quite easily (me from ccw) as a matter of fact. all it takes is for you to be using a stupid ankle rig and me be starting with "hand in pocket", and I'll empty most of the mag into you before you can fire a shot, after I wait so see you kneel in order to pull up your pant-leg. 6 shot mag, total time to react, draw and get 4 hits on the chest, at 6 ft or so of distance? sub 1.5 seconds. Sometimes, I can do this in 1.2 seconds

11. "thru" in action:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-xIssgT-o

At least in his fantasies.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast