Showing state ID and Conceal Permit. - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57

Thread: Showing state ID and Conceal Permit.

  1. #31
    AT Wolf and Blue and others that say they will never id themselves as carrying, I ask you this not to be argumentative but simply to explain my thought processes. There is no way I can know every states laws when it comes to CC. When I travel outside of OK I check to ensure all states have reciprocity with OK. But I can't know what every states laws are. My question to you is do you know what all 50 states laws are? As you can't, how do you know if you are traveling in a state that requires you to ID yourself as CC? If you fail to ID yourself, that may become a felony depending on that states laws. Would you not rather prevent any extra harassment or delay during a LEO encounter? Simply inform them and produce your ID and you are fine. If you aren't carrying you don't need to ID but again why take the chance if you are carrying to get yourself in trouble because your "God Given Rights" as set forth in the Constitution protect you?

  2.   
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    If you are carrying in Texas and are stopped you are required to show it, only if on or about your person.
    In NC we are required to advise and show upon request if armed, however best practice is to advise even when unarmed because when they run the vehicle tag, even before pulling you over, they also get NCIC info on the registered owner, which includes if they have a CHP. I will inform, and state unarmed so I don't have a nervous cop wondering why I didn't inform.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by davcommander View Post
    AT Wolf and Blue and others that say they will never id themselves as carrying, I ask you this not to be argumentative but simply to explain my thought processes. There is no way I can know every states laws when it comes to CC. When I travel outside of OK I check to ensure all states have reciprocity with OK. But I can't know what every states laws are. My question to you is do you know what all 50 states laws are? As you can't, how do you know if you are traveling in a state that requires you to ID yourself as CC?
    When you're traveling in all 50 states at the same time, or on the same trip, your point might be valid, but since no one does that, it's a straw man that is easy as pie to knock down.

    For one thing, I don't travel much. I never fly and never will again because I don't trust the TSA to keep their hands off my wife or off my junk. I live pretty close to two state borders, TN and MS, and we have family in FL. Those are really the only states we might travel to in any kind of "spur-of-the-moment" trip. A quick review on my smart-phone of any of those three states' laws will tell me what my notification obligations are while in them. Likewise, states that I don't visit often are just a mouse-click away to find out what their laws are.

    You notify if you wish. I won't unless I am obligated by law to do so. Doesn't matter which state I'm visiting, that will still be true. If the law doesn't make it any of a cop's business what's in my waistband, then it's just that simple; it's none of their business, and I will not be "guilted" into sharing my business with those who have no reason to know it based on some misguided sense of "courtesy" or "it's just right that they should know" kind of BS.

    Quote Originally Posted by davcommander View Post
    If you fail to ID yourself, that may become a felony depending on that states laws. Would you not rather prevent any extra harassment or delay during a LEO encounter? Simply inform them and produce your ID and you are fine. If you aren't carrying you don't need to ID but again why take the chance if you are carrying to get yourself in trouble because your "God Given Rights" as set forth in the Constitution protect you?
    Why is "God Given Rights" in quotation marks? Whenever I put something in quotes that is not a direct quote of someone else's words, it's intended to be dismissive of the meaning of those words. Are you dismissing the notion that my rights are God-given? Are you dismissing the notion that all of the amendments in the Bill of Rights were contemplated by the Framers as having the imprimatur of being *natural* or God-given rights of all free men?

    As to your other questions in that quote, if I have to "prevent any extra (???) harassment" by abdicating my God-given rights to some jack-wagon cop who doesn't follow his oath to protect and defend them, then it is the cop who is breaking the law! Don't you people get that? I am a law-abiding, peaceful, free citizen. I will not be fooled into believing that a cop's wishes for how a contact should go are somehow superior to the laws they are sworn to uphold. You, apparently, hold a false sense of "courtesy" above your own rights.

    You can phrase it as many ways as you can think up, but I will never acquiesce to the notion that my rights come second to some oath-breaking cop's wishes and/or illegal demands.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  5. #34
    i have asked this same question around Colorado where i leave. I have asked both local police and state troopers and get different answers as how to handle it. one says to tell right from the start the other says to only say something after the officer tells you why you were pulled over and asks for drivers licence and registration.

  6. As some have said, check the laws of the state you are traveling through, if the state has not per-empted firearms laws, like Washington, then you need to check the municipalities you will be traveling through. Example, in Washington, it is required to provide ID and CPL when requested by a LEO. In Michigan, it is NOT required to ID to LEO's, so even tho I have a CPL in WA., since MI honors my out of state CPL, I have to provide ID and CPL in WA. but not in MI. And beware, most states and municipalities when they do not have laws saying you can, will try to say you CAN"T. This is NOT the way law works, If there is no law regarding open carry, then it IS LEGAL to do so. This is the case in MI.

  7. #36
    Not required in Montana but on a traffic stop when your plates are run your Montana Concealed Weapons permit will come up with the rest of your info. Since I have a department radio in my POV I have heard my plates run several times but have never been stopped. In MT my plan is to not show my permit unless required and out of MT to hand over my Permit with my Drivers License and ID just in case it's required.

  8. Showing state ID and Conceal Permit.

    Every state is different as you can see. Haha. With that I'm an Oregon resident so when I'm home and carry I call my brother (he's a police officer) just to make sure on the rules and ask what has changed. With that, my brother always told me it's better to be safe than sorry and when in doubt whip it out ( the permit NOT THE GUN ). In Oregon it's required and if you are respectful they will take less than five minutes and you can be on your way.

  9. Haven't been pulled over or stopped while armed so I can't speak from personal experience. My plan is to present my permit with ID if asked for ID, and the LEO can take it from there. They don't like surprises, and I think it is a good faith courtesy if you're asked to identify yourself even if it isn't a legal requirement. If there is any law enforcement on the forum it would be good to have their perspective. A good friend is retired California Highway Patrol and now lives in Washington state. He was pulled over by Washington State Patrol and told the officer he was carrying. The trooper laughed and stated "hell, everyone up here is carrying".

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by davcommander View Post
    AT Wolf and Blue and others that say they will never id themselves as carrying, I ask you this not to be argumentative but simply to explain my thought processes. There is no way I can know every states laws when it comes to CC. When I travel outside of OK I check to ensure all states have reciprocity with OK. But I can't know what every states laws are. My question to you is do you know what all 50 states laws are? As you can't, how do you know if you are traveling in a state that requires you to ID yourself as CC? If you fail to ID yourself, that may become a felony depending on that states laws. Would you not rather prevent any extra harassment or delay during a LEO encounter? Simply inform them and produce your ID and you are fine. If you aren't carrying you don't need to ID but again why take the chance if you are carrying to get yourself in trouble because your "God Given Rights" as set forth in the Constitution protect you?

    Your argument sets up the straw man that neither Blues nor I know how to do research nor how to read. How dare you make an argument that even suggests that neither of us does not know how to research the laws of carrying within a state that we are traveling to. You have admitted that you do not know how to research nor read and therefore YOU have come to the conclusion that YOU cannot possibly know the laws of states you will travel into.

    You my friend are either lazy and will not know the laws or merely a moron. I will not judge as to which since I do not know you.

    I make it a habit to inform myself of the laws of a state before I go into it. As the officer will surely tell me, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it."

    I do know exactly which states force me to violate my 4th and 5th amendment rights before I go into them. If you choose not to, then of course you will have your rights trampled on.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench49 View Post
    i have asked this same question around Colorado where i leave. I have asked both local police and state troopers and get different answers as how to handle it. one says to tell right from the start the other says to only say something after the officer tells you why you were pulled over and asks for drivers licence and registration.
    I am a Sheriff's deputy in our Reserve Division. PLEASE don't ever ask a LEO what the law is. Most have absolutely no clue. Most just enforce what their superiors tell them to do.

    If you want to know the law, look it up and read it. If you don't understand it, ask a lawyer.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast